HeadAmp GS-1
Sep 26, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #31 of 38
Yeah I'm planning on getting a solid-state amp. Something like the GS-1 or equivalent. Talisman T-3H is about the same price, or pay a bit more to get Meier Corda Opera

Sep 26, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #32 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by DennyL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just haven't had problems with my compact disk players.

No issues with my players either. I am still using an Arcam MCD from '98. The only work I had done was an upgrade (ECO) to the digital out so it would clock correctly off outboard dacs.

Have had Sony, Denon, and now Naim. Varied price ranges. All have lasted well beyond 3 yrs. (except for Naim. Have only owned it 2 yrs).

Pat

Sep 26, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #33 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There was a high pitch in the right channel, it only lasted for a few seconds. I suspect it was the amp, even though it might be the CD player. It has happened 3 times, but not often enough to track the problem. I have thought about getting Benchmark DAC1, but it doesn't accept RCA input right ?

The Benchmark DAC1 has coaxial SPDIF (BNC) input jack, however the unit includes a RCA to BNC adaptor. So all you need to do is connect the coaxial digital output of your CDP (use a good digital coax cable) to this adapter, then connect to the DAC1. Incidentally, I find that the DAC1-USB and GS-1 make a very nice sounding combination.

Sep 26, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #34 of 38
Does "GS-1" REALLY stand for "G"rado, "S"ennheiser #1?

Anybody?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 27, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
somehow I'm led to believe that the G in GS-1 is Gilmore, but I could be wrong

....yeah; that was really my first thought as well, but it just seemed like fun to think of the usable range of phones between the 32 ohm Grados and 300 ohm Senns.
wink.gif

And everything in between!
icon10.gif

Sep 27, 2007 at 11:27 AM Post #37 of 38
The way the information is presented in the HeadAmp web site, it gives the impression that both headphone-out lacks are identical on the GS-1.

Is that correct; or has anyone noticed a difference in the presentation between these two outputs?

Has anyone ever left two sets of phones permanently connected on each jack, such as a set of 32 and 300 ohm phones at the same time strictly for a convenience measure?

Yeah; ok. I get tired of swapping phones all the time and would really like to have them always plugged in without having to plug and unplug them a bunch of times a day.
rolleyes.gif

......I'd probably seriously consider something like that, if there were an A-B output switch.

Sep 27, 2007 at 12:54 PM Post #38 of 38
The two jacks are identical on the GS-1. I've had both my HD-650s and DT-880s plugged in at the same time. I seem to remember reading that it's OK as long as the two phones are similar in impudence. Doing what I described would be OK, but HD-650s and Grados would not be. I don't have a reference for that, but it makes sense to me.

The even better deal with the GS-1 is the loop-out. This lets you put another amp in the signal chain making it easy to A/B amps.

GAD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back