HeadAmp GS-1
Sep 22, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #4 of 38
Although I can't speak directly to how well it would drive the headphones you mentioned, I CAN state that the GS-1 is an excellent amp and it drives my somewhat ancient Beyer DT770Pro/600s with ease. This amp really opened them up and showed me what they really could do.

To me, one of the strongest characteristics of the GS-1 is how transparent it is to the source. It just lets the music flow.

Sep 22, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 38
I am a happy GS-1 owner during the past 2 years. I admit this amp is pretty good to team with HD650 and Grado cans. It really worth its price imo.
wink.gif

Sep 22, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #6 of 38
Think about getting the gilmore lite from headamp, it's very good for the money and some people say it's as good sounding for certain grados as the one you are interested in.

Sep 22, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #9 of 38
there's a GS-1 w/stepped attenuator in the FS forum...that's a great buy. if you can spare a few more bucks, go for the GS-1. the SA, along with the wonderful pre-amp capabilities, make this a great amp. plus, it's upgradeable in the future when justin's MOSFET modules are available.

i would have kept mine had i not needed the money for my k1000 purchase...who knows, i may still try to scrape up some dough to buy that one in the FS forum
wink.gif

edit: oh, it's GAD's, who just posted above!

Sep 23, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #10 of 38
One thing I would be curious about, is when new modules become available for the GS-1, does that also mean that the Glite would be ready for an update to include the new technology incorporated in the GS-1? Or would adding new modules be akin to tube rolling on the valve side?

I wonder.

....although I suspect that the sound with new modules should only be "better" and not necessarily "different."

Sep 23, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #11 of 38
The circuit in the G-Lite will not be upgraded, Justin said, it's simply not user replaceable, it's a Dynalo and always will be. He did say that he might release a different amp to replace the Lite in his amp's line-up when things settle down.

Sep 23, 2007 at 9:01 AM Post #13 of 38
IRT the original question, I've heard W5000 with GS-X, which is a further refinement of the GS-1. It enhanced the soundstage abilities of the W5000 and cast a deeper image without introducing any coloration.

The GS-1 is more of a do-everything amp and is also extremely transparent, so the better question to ask is if your source is up to snuff, and if you like its sound, because if not the GS-1 will make you sad.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing I would be curious about, is when new modules become available for the GS-1, does that also mean that the Glite would be ready for an update to include the new technology incorporated in the GS-1? Or would adding new modules be akin to tube rolling on the valve side?

I wonder.

....although I suspect that the sound with new modules should only be "better" and not necessarily "different."

I'm guessing you've never looked at the pics of the internals of the HeadAmp amps on the Web site, because the Dynalo circuit of the Gilmore Lite is hardwired onto the PCB. The entire PCB would have to be replaced. Only the GS-1 and GS-X move the circuit onto a modular sub-piece so only they can be upgraded.

Sep 23, 2007 at 11:07 AM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The circuit in the G-Lite will not be upgraded, Justin said, it's simply not user replaceable, it's a Dynalo and always will be. He did say that he might release a different amp to replace the Lite in his amp's line-up when things settle down.

That in itself answers most of my question. Apparently then, there wouldn't be a Glite v3, but simply a new amp to effectively obsolete the old one.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back