HeadAmp GS-1
Sep 23, 2007 at 12:01 PM Post #16 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm guessing you've never looked at the pics of the internals of the HeadAmp amps on the Web site, because the Dynalo circuit of the Gilmore Lite is hardwired onto the PCB. The entire PCB would have to be replaced. Only the GS-1 and GS-X move the circuit onto a modular sub-piece so only they can be upgraded.

Yup; sure have. Even looked at them in sort of a "comparator" mode picking out as many differences as I can between GS-1 and Glite, and it's rather difficult to pick the Glite when comparing even the PS upgrades over even the DPS, not to mention the volume pot and a few other good points such as the gain switch and circuitry to better accomodate the use of high and low impedance phones such as my HD600 and MS2i; for example.

It's just sometimes kinda hard to justify using a $750 amp with $300 phones!
tongue.gif

And yup again; I kinda figured the Glite would need a total replacement if an upgrade were incorporated. What I guess was in the back of my mind is the situation that sometimes exists with some companies where not all changes are driven by the desire to improve the product. Sometimes changes are made to simply save costs, or for the sake of change alone, making the new product sometimes inferior to the old.

....from what I know and what I think I know about Justin, I don't suspect a cost-reduction-alone change would ever be in the works.
cool.gif

But I guess that someday the current Glite could possibly be obsoleted, but not likely the upgradeable GS-1. Which helps defray the cost disadvantage even considering the prices of the phones being most often being used.
wink.gif

At any rate, some amps could potentially-though-not-likely take a step backwards in quality or SQ, but the current GS-1 would be protected by continuing to use the current modules and only upgrading when the benefits of the new modules are fully understood.

....see; I still might try to talk myself into the GS-1 after all!
very_evil_smiley.gif

As far as my thoughts of "tube rolling" modules; I guess my thought was of some kind of Utopian World where there were three or four different relatively inexpensive modules(by total amp cost standards)available which would change the overall flavor of the amp accomodating the tastes of the listener or fine tuning the listeners system on that particular day......like our Valve Brothers can do!

Sep 24, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #18 of 38
Yes very transparent.
As in all CD players and interconnects sound different when using the GS-1, which can be very frustrating at times.

Sep 24, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by daltonlanny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes very transparent.
As in all CD players and interconnects sound different when using the GS-1, which can be very frustrating at times.

And don't forget the power cords, distributors, and/or conditioners. You have to treat the system as a whole, not just the sum of it's parts.

Sep 25, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #21 of 38
I just looked at your profile - do you plan on upgrading your source from the CE345? Your re-cabled HD650 paired with either amp will reveal sonic flaws in that CDP, and in fact your current setup has the headphone and amp already past scale of that CDP. If there's anything to upgrade first, it'd be that, not your amp. The X-Can V3 has a reputation as being a very good amp on its own.

Also that's the wrong question to ask, if the GS-1 is better than the Opera. They're different amps with different design goals and different feature sets, and both have had plenty of reviews written about them - the GS-1 more because it's been out longer, but the Opera has a fair number of reviews too. Search around for them and read up.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2007 at 1:08 PM Post #22 of 38
Yes I will be upgrading my source when I have found another budget CD changer. I hate to spend too much on CD players because they don't last long. Most high-end CD players are single disc, I suspect. I used to have a Sony X333ES, that lasted 3 years. A friend of mine had a high-end Marantz CD player, that didn't last long either. Since I'm on a budget, I like to spend more on headphones follow by amp. I need another amp soon because I think my current amp is playing up !

Sep 25, 2007 at 1:15 PM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I will be upgrading my source when I have found another budget CD changer. I hate to spend too much on CD players because they don't last long. Most high-end CD players are single disc, I suspect. I used to have a Sony X333ES, that lasted 3 years. A friend of mine had a high-end Marantz CD player, that didn't last long either. Since I'm on a budget, I like to spend more on headphones follow by amp. I need another amp soon because I think my current amp is playing up !

I'm not sure what "playing up" means but I have to agree with ASR. If you're concerned about functionality or longevity of a CDP then maybe you should be considering a DAC.

Sep 25, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

I just haven't had problems with my compact disk players.

Sep 25, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #25 of 38
There was a high pitch in the right channel, it only lasted for a few seconds. I suspect it was the amp, even though it might be the CD player. It has happened 3 times, but not often enough to track the problem. I have thought about getting Benchmark DAC1, but it doesn't accept RCA input right ?

Sep 25, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

There was a high pitch in the right channel, it only lasted for a few seconds. I suspect it was the amp, even though it might be the CD player. It has happened 3 times, but not often enough to track the problem. I have thought about getting Benchmark DAC1, but it doesn't accept RCA input right ?

You're using an X-Can V3 right? Most likely just a tube.

Sep 25, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

Yes X-Can v3. I guess its tubes need to be replaced or get a new amp !

Hey... check out the tubes (replace them) to see if that's the issue. You'll have a hard time selling it at a reasonable price, if it's more than the tubes - so, you need to "rule out other causes." You can buy some good replacements, or just some inexpensive ones to test it.

Sep 25, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #29 of 38
Pity I don't get much time to listen to my music let alone tracing the source of the problem. If the problem persists, the x-can is going out the window !

Sep 25, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

Pity I don't get much time to listen to my music let alone tracing the source of the problem. If the problem persists, the x-can is going out the window !

LOL, sounds like tubes might not be for you!!!

I can say the HeadAmp GS-1 is a wonderful amp, I owned one and probably still would if I hadn't had some financial troubles in the past year. I don't think you could go wrong with one, they're a proven design that has been on the market for awhile now, they're very versatile and the build quality is impeccable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back