Headamp GS-1 vs Gilmore Lite
Jul 24, 2005 at 5:57 AM Post #31 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
I would think that they would sound identical at that point... just with different features.

But the DPS (as someone found out) has a less beefier ps than the GS-1. Someone should do a review and put this all to rest.

Jul 24, 2005 at 6:37 AM Post #32 of 50
I would like to add to my review:

Right now, I have been listening to the Lite for about 2 hours now. I was listening to Gorillaz' Feel Good Inc song. There is a part where the music goes quiet and a guitar is strung. This goes on for about 15 seconds before a voice comes on again. Around 2:20 on the track.

With the Lite, the guitar reproduction was good, very good actually. You can almost see the strings being plucked. The voice comes on and there is a good balance in tonality.

However, I switched to the GS-1 just for fun and listened to this part of the track. The guitar reproduction was audibly better than with the GS-1. It might be due to better blackness between notes since I could hear the individual strings a smidge better. What was very apparent was when the voice came on. The GS-1 just has a focus *deathgrip* if you will. It is a level above that of the GLite. The voice is perfectly centered and perfectly separated from the rest of the soundtrack. Better dynamics and better blackness is my theory as to why this is.

Ok ok... maybe "perfect" isnt the word to describe it since that would be an absolute statement. How about "as good as I have ever heard on my 650s"?

600smile.gif

Jul 24, 2005 at 8:17 AM Post #33 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
Right now, I have been listening to the Lite for about 2 hours now. I was listening to Gorillaz' Feel Good Inc song. There is a part where the music goes quiet and a guitar is strung. This goes on for about 15 seconds before a voice comes on again. Around 2:20 on the track.

Hi Joey_V,

A rather random question about the track, when you hear the guitar sound (Gorillaz/Track 6/Feel Good Inc), where about is sound positioned?

Overlunge

Jul 24, 2005 at 8:26 AM Post #34 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by overlunge
Hi Joey_V,

A rather random question about the track, when you hear the guitar sound (Gorillaz/Track 6/Feel Good Inc), where about is sound positioned?

Overlunge

You mean the guitar strumming? Where is it positioned?

Hm... let me go check and I'll repost.

Oh, when I listen with the GS-1 (and the 650s), the initial vocals right after the strumming is very focused and separate from the background track. Even when the bass hits and the rest of the midrange comes back, the vocals remains COMPLETELY separate. With the Lite, this complete separation no longer exists, there is partial separation only.

Very good dimensionality with the GS-1. Me like!

BTW, I tried to convince myself to keep the GLite for financial betterment. I listened on the Lite for 2 hours straight, but once I switched to the GS-1, I couldnt (for the life of me) switch back to the Lite.

I hate the GS-1 for this... as it wont let me save my cash.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 24, 2005 at 10:28 AM Post #35 of 50
Once you go up the ladder, it's hard to go back down
eek.gif
Oh, did you check out the Gilmore Balanced Reference?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 24, 2005 at 12:19 PM Post #36 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Once you go up the ladder, it's hard to go back down
eek.gif
Oh, did you check out the Gilmore Balanced Reference?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Yeah, I completely agree. How can Joey not try out the Gilmore Balanced Reference since its next in the line up? He wouldn't be the "special" Akwok . . . . I mean Joey_V, if he didn't . . . . and in turn it would let all of us head-fiers down because our expectations would not be met.
icon10.gif

Jul 24, 2005 at 4:16 PM Post #37 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyButt
Yeah, I completely agree. How can Joey not try out the Gilmore Balanced Reference since its next in the line up? He wouldn't be the "special" Akwok . . . . I mean Joey_V, if he didn't . . . . and in turn it would let all of us head-fiers down because our expectations would not be met.
icon10.gif

eek.gif

I dont have unlimited funds like GoRedwings, Gpalmer, or Hirsch man... sheesh!!

tongue.gif

Jul 25, 2005 at 6:16 AM Post #39 of 50
Nice review! I'm glad you wound up deciding you liked it since I contributed to your wallets pain!
tongue.gif

Jul 28, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #41 of 50
Stop copying me guys! <napolean dynamite voice> Jeez </napolean>

Jul 28, 2005 at 2:44 AM Post #42 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
Stop copying me guys! <napolean dynamite voice> Jeez </napolean>

the only thing that is the same is the GS1... aside from that although it might look similar it sounds nothing like yours
icon10.gif

Jul 28, 2005 at 3:24 AM Post #43 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
I would think that they would sound identical at that point... just with different features.

You've got a new and much beefier power supply in the GS-1. Justin took a lot of time and care with the power supply to make sure it was as black as can be, arranging the components in a certain way and routing the lanes in a specific way. The ground planes are huge utilizing a much bigger chassis contributing even more to the blackground.

Sometimes a product is more than about the actual parts themselves, sometimes they come together in a certain way and the layout is different and configuration is tweaked here and there that can truly create a different sound - hence what the above poster is experiencing

Sep 4, 2005 at 9:58 AM Post #45 of 50
DAMN THE SOURCE!!!

In time, my friends, in time... the source will be my goal for Christmas.

icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back