Headamp GS-1 vs Gilmore Lite
Jul 23, 2005 at 4:35 PM Post #16 of 50
With the PSU I am sure they sound even closer however, much of the additional cost of the two is going into the larger case, the 2 x headphone jacks, and all the additional inputs and outputs on back... for me I would pick up... did pick up
icon10.gif
the GS1 as I will be using both the headphone jacks, both inputs and the loop out for my speaker rig... If you dont need those added features more then likely you would be happy with the Lite and PSU.

Jul 23, 2005 at 4:56 PM Post #17 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H
Very nice review, you did some great listening comparisons there. Makes me want to hear the GS-1. All someone has to do it send me a GS-1 and I can do a detailed head to head comparison between my Lite + DPS an the GS-1.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
I kind of wished you would have kept the Lite/DPS in your order and then compared.

Sean H, maybe Justin has a review/audition unit of the GS-1 floating around, so it wouldn't hurt if you asked him if you could audition a unit and write a review on it
smily_headphones1.gif
because your GL review is on his website!

Jul 23, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #18 of 50
Yeah, Solude... I know I need a better source so take my review for what it is: the audigy2zs on steroids basically.

I'll be getting a new soundcard and a new standalone VDA-1 to replace my source and since I'm going 2 channel, I wont need my audigy for games anymore. Time to play games in stereo! LOL.

I need to sell my audigy, buy an 710 and get a VDA-1, run that for a little bit. I need to start going lossless and perhaps looking into a good cdp (but the latter can wait since I dont really have many cds).

This isnt my complete system - just what I have right now. It's time for the next step, but let's allow the wallet to stop smoking first.

Jul 23, 2005 at 5:58 PM Post #20 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
With the PSU I am sure they sound even closer however, much of the additional cost of the two is going into the larger case, the 2 x headphone jacks, and all the additional inputs and outputs on back... for me I would pick up... did pick up
icon10.gif
the GS1 as I will be using both the headphone jacks, both inputs and the loop out for my speaker rig... If you dont need those added features more then likely you would be happy with the Lite and PSU.

Now, I'm REALLY wondering how the Glite+DPS sounds compared to the GS-1. I mean, you can REALLY tell the difference when either the Glite or the GS-1 is playing (especially when you fiddle with the volume). Hmm... should I order the DPS? But then Justin will kill me because he knows I'll just end up returning it.
eek.gif

GE - there's no such thing as Jowok!!
tongue.gif

BTW, thanks for the kind remarks regarding my review guys!

Also, I dont think I'm buff.... my youngest brother is bigger/stronger than me. The kid benches upper 200's/low 300s and curls the big bar with 35lb plates - he was just a senior in high school. Me?? I'm a graduate college kid who has to scrape and find time to work out.

Jul 23, 2005 at 5:59 PM Post #21 of 50
Quote:

dont forget the VAC for the VDA
very_evil_smiley.gif

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What did my wallet ever do to you Zach!??!

Jul 23, 2005 at 6:07 PM Post #23 of 50
Does anyone know.... why would the GS-1 have a more focused vocal presentation than even the GLite? Both are built off the same circuit.... is it just the power?

The GS-1 is allowed more current and, hence, it is able to bring about better focus?

Or is it the upgraded caps? Or am I just talking out of my ars?
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2005 at 6:10 PM Post #24 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
Does anyone know.... why would the GS-1 have a more focused vocal presentation than even the GLite? Both are built off the same circuit.... is it just the power?

The GS-1 is allowed more current and, hence, it is able to bring about better focus?

Or is it the upgraded caps? Or am I just talking out of my ars?
biggrin.gif

Is there any actual difference in the amp circuits and the PSU's of the two?

Jul 23, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #25 of 50
Quote:

Is there any actual difference in the amp circuits and the PSU's of the two?

I dont know.....

All I know is that the GS-1 provides more current. I dont know much else.
frown.gif

Jul 23, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #26 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
I dont know.....

All I know is that the GS-1 provides more current. I dont know much else.
frown.gif

that could certianly accout for some of the added sonic benifits as well as the fact that it is all part of the same PCB in the GS1 and not stand alone like the Lite

Jul 23, 2005 at 10:20 PM Post #27 of 50
Both the GS-1 and Lite + DPS output 1 watt. The main difference between the two parts wise that I can tell is the power supply of course, where the GS-1 has bigger caps and more capacitance, and then there is the Alps Blue Velvet pot of the GS-1 versus the Lite's Panasonic. There's your main differences right there. The Blue Velvet is better than the Panasonic and the bigger power supply is likely a bit better too. There should be a difference in the sonics it's just a matter of how much?

For kicks I'm going to do a little more A/B comparison of the Lite/Elpac versus the Lite/DPS but take my upgraded power cord out of the equation and put the stock cord in place.

Maybe I'll see if Justin has a GS-1 for a demo and see if he'll lend it to me for a comparison and then do an extensive comparison review.

Jul 24, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #29 of 50
I would be real interested in seeing the Glite+DPS vs GS-1, too!

Either someone give Sean a GS-1 or someone give me a DPS for review purposes.
icon10.gif

Jul 24, 2005 at 4:13 AM Post #30 of 50
I would think that they would sound identical at that point... just with different features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back