Headamp GS-1 vs Gilmore Lite
Jul 23, 2005 at 7:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

Joey_V

1000+ Head-Fier
Headamp GS-1 vs Headamp Gilmore Lite w/ Elpac (not DPS) vs Audigy 2zs analog output

Let’s do this, ladies. Here is the setup:
47b5d903b3127cce92af3cf2775a00000016108AatnDJo5ZNm

Appearance/Build:
-The Audigy 2zs comes in a black pcb with gold plated inputs/outputs while various capacitors litter the pcb. Ok... let's get to the meaty stuff.

-The GLite comes in a svelte 5.75 (L) x 4.5 (W) x 1.2 (H) inch aluminum casing. The casing is top notch and very solid. The edges meet up nicely and the casing is assembled mil-spec. The volume knob is also built from aluminum while the headphone output in the front is recessed into the front panel – very nice! Justin really paid attention to the little details with this little guy. In the back, the GLite has an input and a loopout. The GLite weighs about 3 pounds but is built like a tank.

-The GS-1 is a monster next to the GLite. I never thought the GS-1 was big to begin with, but relative to the Lite, the GS-1 is akin to Godzilla. Remember how I said that the GLite is built like a tank? Well, the GS-1 IS A TANK. This baby weighs in at a hefty 6 pounds (although it feels a lot heavier) and measures 10.0 (L) x 8.5 (W) x 2.0 (H) inches. The GS-1 uses a MUCH thicker aluminum casing, a larger volume knob, a removal top plate, and is much more detail-heavy relative to the GLite. There are input selectors in the front along with a gain switch (both recessed into the front panel). In the back , as you all know, the GS-1 has two inputs, a loopout, and a preamp out. One last thing I noticed were the feet; the Lite has these round rubber stick-on feet while the GS-1 has these rubber pegs that are screwed into the chassis… *yay*!

Note:
I weighed myself with the GS-1 and the GLite in hand…. it seems that the GLite is ½ pound while the GS-1 is 4 pound. I don’t know why the headamp website says otherwise so just take my weigh-in as a relative measure because I feel that the GS-1 weighs 8x more than the GLite. Odd… yes.

Sonic Differences:
-First up, let’s discuss the Gilmore Lite. The GLite is small, but sure doesn’t sound like it. This guy packs a good punch.
oBass – quick and transient. Rise and decay is impeccably accurate and the blackness between bass notes is apparent.
oMidrange – present and alive. Much more so than the audigy2zs alone. The guitar has energy and the background soundtrack has dimension. The midrange is 95% as good as the GS-1 if you take it as a separate entity... however, if you take the midrange as part of a whole, the Lite has a relatively slight sonic imbalance compared to that of the GS-1.
oHighs – forward and well extended. The highs seem a bit extended and has a small hint of uncontrolled dynamics at times. Not as uncontrolled as the audigy2zs alone, but in certain tracks and at a certain volume, the highs lose balance and somehow overpower the mids to an extent. There is little sibilance, perhaps only 60% of the sibilance present with the audigy2zs alone.

-Next is the Headamp GS-1. The GS-1 is big and sounds even bigger. This guy packs not only a punch, but a wallop.
oBass – quick, transient, and powerful. The bass just hits, stops, and hits again with no mercy. Quick A/B switching between the Lite and the GS-1 (at same volume) easily showed this greater bass slam with the GS-1. There is just more focus, more power, more oomph to each bass note. What was even scarier is that the GS-1 has better blackness between the notes than even the Lite did! What’s frightening is that I was able to discern it!!! It is NOT one-note droning… no no no. I can picture the ESSENCE of the bass note… I can hear the focused ball that is the bass note itself, hit my eardrums. In comparison, the Lite had focus, but I couldn’t get my mind around a *bass ball* (for lack of a better term).
oMidrange – more than just present and alive, add to that: complete balance! The GS-1’s midrange is BEAUTIFUL. Pay attention to me here: similar to the Lite, the GS-1’s midrange is alive in full force.. however, unlike the Lite, the midrange is better in that it is BALANCED. Perfectly balanced with the vocals. This gives it much better dimension and a much better 3D holographic effect. With the Lite, the midrange is easily overpowered by the treble at times and you lose the 3D dimensionality. You end up with a sort of lesser 3D effect (as sacd_lover observed)... but I wouldn't say it is anywhere 2D as he described. I think that this increased balance and overall midrange dynamics allows for that “warm sound” everyone comments the GS-1 to have.
oHighs – as detailed as the Lite, but better integrated into the overall sound. The treble extends but somehow presents less sibilance than even the GLite (maybe 20% of the audigy2zs alone). Also, there is better focus. I have a MUCH easier time getting a straight *vocal image* with the GS-1 relative to the Lite. The highs have a sweeter character – fuzzyness… nah – I call it refinement. There is nothing sweeter than sitting down and listening to Common’s voice in full focus. You can swear there is a spatial separation between him and the band behind him, you dont have to trick yourself into believing he is infront of the band because with the GS-1, he is truly separated in space from the playing band. I swear you can almost wrap your ears around each word. There is a blackness around his voice and this gives it the focus I rave about.... BEAUTIFUL!

-The Audigy can power the HD650s to loud volumes…. but, can it power the 650s right?
oBass – good bass, but no focus and insufficient slam. Loose may not be the term to describe it, but certainly isn’t focused when it hits. Hence, without the focus, without that discernable *ball* of impact, the bass tends to splash instead of hit. Blackness exists, but significantly shorter in comparison to the other two.
oMidrange – good at low volumes, but completely out of balance with the rest of the sonic reproduction at higher volumes. In addition, it sounds less lively and less dimensional than the Lite or the GS1. This is most likely due to hindered dynamics by the audigy2zs’s analog outputs.
oHighs – sibilant and out of focus. There is extension, but the sibilance is very distracting if you look for it. Vocals don’t have the focus of either the Lite or the GS-1, thus, there it lacks dimensionality and results in a COMPLETELY flat image.

Conclusion:
I really don’t know why I thought the Audigy2zs was even a viable option of powering the 650s. Once I knew what to look for, there was/is NO comparison. The GS-1 gives you complete dimensionality, ultra focus with regards to treble (vocals), an awesome bass slam with significant focus, and a midrange that is balanced throughout any listenable volume. The GLite gives you a partial dimensionality (relative to the GS-1), extended treble response but without the supreme focus of the GS-1, almost the same bass slam but without the tactile focus of the GS-1, and a midrange that although alive and much more dynamic than that of the audigy2zs alone… isn’t as balanced as with the GS-1. The audigy2zs, in comparison, lays out the sonic reproduction on a plain flat wall with little to no dimensionality, less focus throughout the spectrum, and isn’t pleasing to listen to when you crank up the volume.

I can't listen to my 650's off the audigy2zs anymore. It just doesnt sound right.

What I loved (I used that word… wow!) about the GS-1 is overall sonic cohesion, balance, and focus. I’ve commented on that several times before and I stand by that opinion now (after hearing the GLite) more than ever. If you want your 650s (and other headphones, of course) to truly sing, audition the GS-1. Are they worth the $750? Well… I would much rather spend less, but considering the sonic performance I got for $299 from the Lite, I would say: a resounding YES!

It may not sound like I like the Gilmore Lite, but I do. The Lite is a cheaper way to get that focused, dimensional sound while enjoying a well-controlled and extended treble. It bursts with detail and gives you the slam to anchor the low-end. However, when head-on against the GS-1, I prefer the overall balance and focus of the GS-1.

At the moment, I require a better source, for the GS-1 is essentially giving me the best the audigy2zs can sound like (audigy2zs on steroids anybody?). A CIAudio VDA-1 (dac) is on the horizon and should unleash an even better sonic experience.

Sidebar:
I took measurements with my SPL meter and recorded 1-inch from the drivers the spl at which I found the sound to be unlistenable (due to vocal imbalance, overdone sibilance, loss of any sort of sonic cohesion). Here are the results (use them as a relative comparison, not as a concrete measurement):

Audigy2zs (alone) = 83dB
GLite = 91dB
GS-1 = 98dB

Closing Remarks:
Take my review for what it is, a personal opinion. With that said, I’m keeping the GS-1.

MORE PICS!!!
Back to back... notice the connectors!
47b5d903b3127cce92af3cf4775c00000016108AatnDJo5ZNm

One's small, the other's big. Both are sexy.
47b5d903b3127cce92af3cf5f66d00000016108AatnDJo5ZNm

One on one.... grrrr!
47b5d903b3127cce92af3cf6775e00000016108AatnDJo5ZNm

The setup!
47b5d903b3127cce92af3cfdf66500000016108AatnDJo5ZNm

Me holding a naked GS-1.
tongue.gif

47b5d903b3127cce92af306c77c200000016108AatnDJo5ZNm

Jul 23, 2005 at 8:01 AM Post #3 of 50
Source is Audigy 2zs.... as mentioned towards the end of my review. The VDA-1 isnt in my possession as of yet.

Jul 23, 2005 at 8:04 AM Post #4 of 50
Well done.
What kind of Powersupply did you use for the lite?

Jul 23, 2005 at 8:05 AM Post #5 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
Source is Audigy 2zs.... as mentioned towards the end of my review. The VDA-1 isnt in my possession as of yet.

Looking forward to the updated version with the VDA-1 included
smily_headphones1.gif
Yessir...more work
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 23, 2005 at 8:17 AM Post #6 of 50
You want a big difference? Wait till you get the VDA-1. You will be knocked off your feet.

And oh my god you're buff. Showoff.

Jul 23, 2005 at 8:38 AM Post #7 of 50
Dudes!

The GS-1 has impressed me so much that I have thought about it and I will get rid of my Polk LSi7 (rears) speakers and instead of getting an LSiC center channel, I'm going to put that money towards a solid 2 channel amp to power my remaining pair of Polk LSi9.

I am thinking of this amp:
KSA50Sbig.jpg

I just have to wait and pounce on one at audiogon.

My wallet will die soon.
icon10.gif

Jul 23, 2005 at 8:40 AM Post #8 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Looking forward to the updated version with the VDA-1 included
smily_headphones1.gif
Yessir...more work
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oh man.... more work! Oy!!!!
frown.gif

Jul 23, 2005 at 10:24 AM Post #9 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
And oh my god you're buff.

Alright, that settles it. You guys are definitely the same dude.
tongue.gif

Seriously, nice review Joey_V. I hope you find the setup(s) that makes you happy without destroying your credit so you won't be forced to eat Ramen noodles and wear wife beaters at all times.

Jul 23, 2005 at 11:47 AM Post #10 of 50
Biggest problem I have with the review is you are hearing things the Audigy isn't capable of producing. The subjective differences in energy at different frequencies are valid but with such an unbalanced source are they really?

Once you move to a source capable of imaging, bottom weight, extention, smooth delivery and blackness between notes your impressions may do another 180. If you are planning to put the CIAudio on the Audigy expect very little benefit. Like this amp comparison, you'll change the energy balance but not the smear the Audigy imposes on the stream
frown.gif

Don't you have access to even an entry level external player? DVD player even would give you a better presentation than the Audigy does. You remind me of my buddy, still using his dumb Live with a Mackie mixer and monitors. Cost... 40 source, 1600 mixer, 2400 monitors. Big surprise he's not too happy BUT blames the room instead of the source
rolleyes.gif

As for the Krell... I'm not a fan. They are big, they are heavy but they don't sound awful natural, bit of a glare to them. I definitely prefer Acurus, Plinius and Musical Fidelity integrated amps to Krell anyday. And if you can find an Anthem INT2 grab it. Not too many around but man those INT2 are fine integrated amps. But get that source upgrade first
wink.gif

Solude's rule of thumb for speakers... 1:1:2 source:amp:speakers
Solude's rule of thumb for phones... 3:2:1 source:amp: phones

Now there are some very good bargains that bend the rule, but the Audigy isn't one of them
eek.gif
I also find ~1500 to be the sweet spot in electronics, any more and its diminishing returns any less and its a noticable drop. But again some products especially on the used market blow big holes in that rule.

Jul 23, 2005 at 12:29 PM Post #11 of 50
Nice review! You put alot of time and effort these past few weeks into deciding on an amp, and I'm glad you've found the one.

Jul 23, 2005 at 1:10 PM Post #12 of 50
...Gratuitious biceps/gs-1 shot. Aaaar.

Thanks for the review; helpful to folks shopping between these two amps.

I'm assuming you used the standard elpac PS that comes with the Lite, correct? And, while you have already gotten the feedback that this test (and your home listenng set-up, for shure) would be improved by a decent source, you might want to put one of those on your list with/before the monster amp (i.e. krell). Krell gets mixed reviews amongst the AA and Audiogon folks, so make sure you know that the signature of the Krell for which you're interested is what you want. For example, many Krells supposedly are strong in bass (god for your hip-hop preferences), but also kinda "cold and analytical." Again, this is not bad, just make sure what your're getting into and if it's what you want. There's lots to choose from.

thx again, - walkman

Jul 23, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #15 of 50
Very nice review, you did some great listening comparisons there. Makes me want to hear the GS-1. All someone has to do it send me a GS-1 and I can do a detailed head to head comparison between my Lite + DPS an the GS-1.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
I kind of wished you would have kept the Lite/DPS in your order and then compared. As I said in my impressions, which have only been bolstered over this past week, I hear greater dimension, better controlled dynamics and much better bass - add that to your impressions of the Lite and I think we're ever so closer to the GS-1 for a couple hundred less. You have done all your listening to the Gilmore's with Sennheiser's too. I liked the Lite/Elpac/HD650 combo but to my ears it couldn't drive them quite as good as other amps I had heard that were meant to drive Senn's. Therefore the power behind the Lite + DPS and the GS-1 I think is best suited for the HD650 if you want them to sing. It should be no surprise that with driving Senn's one would hear a better presentation going from Lite/Elpac to Lite/DPS to GS-1. Gilmore's are notorious for their syngery with Grado's though and there's some amazing magic going on there too!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back