Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Jan 21, 2020 at 6:24 AM Post #9,451 of 9,882
I prefer MrSpeakers Voce with my BHSE (with ALPS). The umbilical upgrade really fits better behind my BHSE as it is mute flexible)

aaack about the video being taken private, I pull it up every time I swap tubes, not trusting my memory. I’ll try to remember to email for a link, and write down the directions (voltages, and patterns of measurement). My Fluke multimeter works well.

Jan 21, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #9,452 of 9,882
Weird. I think it was taken down. My YouTube link doesn’t work.
I prefer MrSpeakers Voce with my BHSE (with ALPS). The umbilical upgrade really fits better behind my BHSE as it is mute flexible)

aaack about the video being taken private, I pull it up every time I swap tubes, not trusting my memory. I’ll try to remember to email for a link, and write down the directions (voltages, and patterns of measurement). My Fluke multimeter works well.

That would be great. Much appreciated!

Mar 18, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #9,453 of 9,882
Forgive my ignorance here, new amp owner.. my amp is in stock condition with stock tubes. Are there specific tubes that can be swapped in without an offset/balance (or bias) adjustment? I would rather not do anything to the amp, no matter how simple. Also, not looking for any tubes that really expensive, as typically to my ears they don't a huge difference to the sound. Happy to leave as is if there are no options.

May 15, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #9,455 of 9,882
4 new Mullard xf2 EL34 arrived to replace my Psavane... We will see (hear) if they are an improvement...

Does someone already experienced those tubes ? any comments on their qualities ?

Brimar.jpg

Testing now first before installing them in my BHSE.

Testing Brimar.jpg

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #9,456 of 9,882
My BHSE had a problem last november 2019, I return it to Justin for repair immediatly, since today (29.05.2020) I don't have it returned repaired, someone have an idea about time repair ? Justin replay to my mail saying that the amplifier is repaired but I think that it isn't true and I don't have my amplifier! I think that service is the worst in the world! During waiting I buy a woo audio Wes that is already arrived with great support from Michael Liang. This is serious support to customers.

May 29, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #9,457 of 9,882
4 new Mullard xf2 EL34 arrived to replace my Psavane... We will see (hear) if they are an improvement...

Does someone already experienced those tubes ? any comments on their qualities ?

Testing now first before installing them in my BHSE.
I dunno, I had Mullard xf3 and felt they just too warm and dark in my BHSE and later my Gilmore T2. I preferred the Amperex xf4 / xf5 EL34 - very neutral while still sweet and 3D sounding. It's been a long time since I had the xf2, and never heard them in these Stax amps, so it's hard for me to say - but I remember them having a lot of the same Mullard warm/thick character of the xf3, though perhaps with a tad bit more of that much-needed air and even better 3D qualities. And that's a very clean beautiful xf2 quad you have there - mine were dog eared and clearly well used. Might make a great match with 009. I'd think the Amperex/Holland would be preferable for 007 and 009S, though.

Anyways - what did you think?

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #9,458 of 9,882
Hi everyone. After moving house, I have not turned on my BHSE for nearly 7 months. Today, I have reconnected everything and would like to "bias" my BHSE, but I am unable to find the Youtube video on "biasing" the BHSE. Can someone be kind enough to point me to the video or diagrams? I have done it many times before but I forgot which pin socket should the voltmeter probe go into. Many thanks.

Jun 14, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #9,460 of 9,882
My BHSE had a problem last november 2019, I return it to Justin for repair immediatly, since today (29.05.2020) I don't have it returned repaired, someone have an idea about time repair ? Justin replay to my mail saying that the amplifier is repaired but I think that it isn't true and I don't have my amplifier! I think that service is the worst in the world! During waiting I buy a woo audio Wes that is already arrived with great support from Michael Liang. This is serious support to customers.
I would be fuming...

Jul 15, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #9,462 of 9,882
Fabiocrest, any response back from Justin at HeadAmp on your repair of the BHSE repair?

Jul 16, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #9,464 of 9,882
After 7 month bhse returned to me repaired! No comment! I already sell the amplifier, I think that a inefficient support like this is not justified for an amplifier that cost about 6k usd !
Support at HeadAmp may react slowly, but I think you should trust Justin: I had a problem (probably, now that I think about it, because of some mishandling on my part) with a BHSE; I sent it to HeadAmp for repair and Justin shipped a brand new one to me --a few months after I admit.

Jul 30, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #9,465 of 9,882
Long time BHSE owner. Trust Justin. He can be slow to respond, but does the right thing ultimately. I was the early owner that had problems with the BHSE after using it with KT-77s, really good ones at that. Justin had the unit for 6 months, but got it squared away and returned it while also substituting an Alps pot for the DACT originally installed, for a nominal cost.

As I write this I am listening to the unit with a set of 007 Mk1s and newly installed NOS set of Mullard xf2s. I have been through GE 6CA7s, the problematic Gold Lion KT-77s, And Winged Cs. None of those compares to these XF2s. It’s simply a different and much better amp with the XF2s, of a single halo variety. More extended at the extremes, yet firmly in control, and able to reproduce even the most delicate of sounds and a sense of space. Love these and must find a back-up set.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back