Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Oct 20, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #8,462 of 9,882
It could depend on your DAC and how bright it may be. I very much prefer the 009s.

Oct 20, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #8,463 of 9,882
It's a pretty tough choice really....I think the BHSE does very well with either the 007 or the 009....I can't really pick a favorite since it depends on what I'm listening to......the Carbon clearly does the 009 better almost in everyway compared to the 007 though.  Thanks again Justin for the beautiful/awesome sounding amp.

Oct 20, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #8,464 of 9,882
That VAC is a pretty damn nice preamp (I used to own its lower sibling the Renaissance III); its overall distortion should be quite low, and what it does add is likely to be euphonic in nature.

I can see the need for some extra gain with a BHSE coupled to a low-output source (e.g. a vinyl rig with a very low output MC cart). The BHSE gain is among the lowest of the various KGSShv/Carbon/KGST amps I've used -- and for that, it pairs well with balanced digital sources, but those sources have a really hot output. Furthermore, a full-feature preamp like the VAC has tone of ins/outs along with a remote-controlled volume (which VAC implements very well), which might be relevant for some setups. If I ever hook my turntable up to BHSE, I've considered that I might have to hook in my Rogue Hera preamp for extra gain (0.3mV Koetsu cartridge).

The hard job here is pushing 100's of Volts into the Stax drivers, and the BHSE does a fabulous job of that; inserting an extra high-quality preamp that's running into a simple 50K attenuator doesn't necessarily bump the sound quality down a notch.

And I agree. There are many wonderful preamplifier designs with low distortion figures, and then ones need for inputs and the gain required for phono stages etc. will nessitate the need within many different audio set-ups.

My point being is the best pre-amp is no pre-amp if you don't require extra inputs or gain and strive for neutrality unless your ears prefer a certain unobjectionable distortion artifact a pre-amp surely brings to the table.

Oct 20, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #8,465 of 9,882
Yes you are definitely right, the preamp is only bringing extra distortion to the chain which is not necessarily a bad thing. In my setup it becomes more forward, I decided to remove it as it sounds a bit too aggressive. but again, if I am using a more laid-back/dark source it may be a good thing. 

Oct 21, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #8,466 of 9,882
Agree, another active component in the chain will reduce speed and other aspects of the sound. More parts, wires, capacitors,
The tradition of having a pre-amp has been challenged IMO as most users have on source, nomally a DAC, In fact my DAC has the same line stage design as the matchinf pre amp. Zero point in amplifying above 2V or 5V for balanced output to then reduce it back down agian to 2V/5V.
The only clear reason to use a pre amp may be an impedance missmatch or as Mulveling noted the line level of a phono.
I have used a passive pre wirh great results. Should be better as long as you don,t need crazy long cable runs. Things I notice are better micro detail, speed, attack, sounstage width and accuracy of timbre.

Oct 21, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #8,467 of 9,882
Received my (silver) BHSE #246 this afternoon. Thanks again, Justin. Also thanks for the lighting quick delivery…I only received shipping notice yesterday afternoon and received the amp at about 12:00PM today and I'm probably about 8-10hrs away from HeadAmp!

I'm listening with the stock tubes (for now) to Two Of A Kind by Earl Klugh with the 009, and I'm having very positive impressions right from the start…just beautiful! After already owning the KGSSHV/KGST I thought I would pretty much know what I was going to hear…definitely not the case! 
smile.gif
 can't wait to throw in the NOS Amperex (Bugle Boy) EL34's and also try the 007 which I didn't own at the time I owned the two former amp I mentioned.
beerchug.gif

Oct 21, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #8,468 of 9,882
  Received my (silver) BHSE #246 this afternoon. Thanks again, Justin. Also thanks for the lighting quick delivery…I only received shipping notice yesterday afternoon and received the amp at about 12:00PM today and I'm probably about 8-10hrs away from HeadAmp!

I'm listening with the stock tubes (for now) to Two Of A Kind by Earl Klugh with the 009, and I'm having very positive impressions right from the start…just beautiful! After already owning the KGSSHV/KGST I thought I would pretty much know what I was going to hear…definitely not the case! 
smile.gif
 can't wait to throw in the NOS Amperex (Bugle Boy) EL34's and also try the 007 which I didn't own at the time I owned the two former amp I mentioned.
beerchug.gif

Joseph, I am happy for you that you finally get your new toy.

we are very interested to head what you feel of the Bugle Boy v/s the stock tubes ?

Oct 21, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #8,469 of 9,882
  I am happy for you that you finaly get your new toy.
we are very interested to head what you feel of the Bugle Boy v/s the stock tubes ?

Thank you very much!
From what I'm initially hearing, the stock tubes sound good, so can't wait to hear how much better the NOS are going to sound after sufficient burn-in.

Have you picked up any NOS tubes?

Oct 22, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #8,470 of 9,882
Blue Hawaii SE #233 arrived here on Thursday. The build quality and finish is just superb! I've had the chance to admire it on a few occassions before, but now that I actually have it at home, it's even better than from what I remembered.

The package (shipped via Fedex) arrived in 6 days with no delay at customs whatsoever. I noticed that with other couriers this is often a whole different story. Definitely not bad for a shipment from United States to Belgium. According to the shipment history, it actually sat idle in the nearby Fedex distribution center for nearly 2 days before they decided to deliver it on my doorstep. How cruel of them!

I waited until today to unbox it and fire it on for the first time. Unpacked the BHSE is actually quite big and heavy (the power supply is actually heavier than the amplifier itself). I'll have to do some desk cleaning before I can place it at the desired location. Here are some pictures as promised.

Oct 22, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #8,471 of 9,882
Nice Blue Blue Hawaii !   Enjoy... 
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #8,472 of 9,882

smile.gif
beerchug.gif

Congratulations joseph69. 
Will be interesting to hear from you any difference in sound changing the EL34's.

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #8,473 of 9,882
  Blue Hawaii SE #233 arrived here on Thursday. The build quality and finish is just superb! I've had the chance to admire it on a few occassions before, but now that I actually have it at home, it's even better than from what I remembered.

The package (shipped via Fedex) arrived in 6 days with no delay at customs whatsoever. I noticed that with other couriers this is often a whole different story. Definitely not bad for a shipment from United States to Belgium. According to the shipment history, it actually sat idle in the nearby Fedex distribution center for nearly 2 days before they decided to deliver it on my doorstep. How cruel of them!

I waited until today to unbox it and fire it on for the first time. Unpacked the BHSE is actually quite big and heavy (the power supply is actually heavier than the amplifier itself). I'll have to do some desk cleaning before I can place it at the desired location. Here are some pictures as promised.

Looks awesome.   Enjoy nepherte.  

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #8,474 of 9,882
could not resist to look inside my Black blue Hawaii :wink:

Pictures posted so that you do need to open yours....

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #8,475 of 9,882

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back