Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Oct 25, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #8,491 of 9,899
  FINALLY....I found a reliable source for a quad matched Philips holland NOS metal base :wink:   

are they really better than the Mullard XF'2  or the  Holland Amperex Bugle Boy that I can also get for... half the price ?

Perhaps you can get 'em and let us know; they're only 2X in price and way cheaper than the BHSE
atsmile.gif

Oct 25, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #8,492 of 9,899
  FINALLY....I found a reliable source for a quad matched Philips holland NOS metal base :wink:   

are they really better than the Mullard XF'2  or the  Holland Amperex Bugle Boy that I can also get for... half the price ?

Not a tube head here but I thought for the BHSE you only need two matched pairs which might be easier to come by than a matched quad, isn't it?

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #8,493 of 9,899
For each channel, the output tubes should be electrically matched for lowest distortion.

For stereo, both channels should be acoustically matched for best SQ. A matched quad of output tubes will get you there.

Oct 26, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #8,494 of 9,899
Is there anybody in Batch 4 still waiting for a shipment notice from Headamp  for their BHSE ?

Oct 26, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #8,495 of 9,899
Oct 26, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #8,497 of 9,899
The pair matching is the most important part, for each push-pull pair. Yes ideally you'd get a matched quad, or at least 2 pairs pretty close to each other, but in my experience with tubes so far -- it probably takes a pretty stout difference between the two L/R sides before you'd notice it audibly (like more than a 20% difference). Given a choice, I'd take two tight pairs of better make/vintage tubes over a tight quad.

Oct 26, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #8,498 of 9,899
Bought from a private buyer matched quad set of NOS Mullard XF2's double OO's.

Also contemplating buying some NOS Philips Miniwatt metal base as two separate closely matched pairs (only due to not being able to find a matched Quad set - unless I buy from TubeDepot which are very expensive especially with poor GBP to USD exchange rate.

Oct 26, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #8,499 of 9,899

Thanks Peter, I presume from your reply that you didn't therefore refer to it as "pure bull****"  
bigsmile_face.gif

In fact, I have tried a Stefan AudioArt Umbilical built to order for my Woo WES with positive effects, so I will be interested to see whether these can be replicated on the BHSE.

Jerseyboy, are you still considering testing the Stefan AudioArt Umbilical cord with your BHSE ?   please let us know your finding if you do so.

Oct 27, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #8,501 of 9,899
Oct 28, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #8,503 of 9,899
  Sorry for this late answer. Yes, I have the Philips Miniwatt Metal base (year 1955) tubes and I can tell you that the difference in SQ with the standard (Russian) Mullards is HUGE.

Thanks for your answer.   I see you mention Esoteric K01 as a source.  Do you use it direct into the BHSE or do you use an external DAC to the BHSE ? 

Oct 28, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #8,504 of 9,899
  The pair matching is the most important part, for each push-pull pair. Yes ideally you'd get a matched quad, or at least 2 pairs pretty close to each other, but in my experience with tubes so far -- it probably takes a pretty stout difference between the two L/R sides before you'd notice it audibly (like more than a 20% difference). Given a choice, I'd take two tight pairs of better make/vintage tubes over a tight quad.

Mulveling, is the BHSE Push Pull or a 2 gain parallel tube configuration?

Oct 28, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #8,505 of 9,899

Thanks for your answer.   I see you mention Esoteric K01 as a source.  Do you use it direct into the BHSE or do you use an external DAC to the BHSE ? 

I use the K-01 direct into the BHSE. The DAC part of this rig was one of the bests a few years ago; now, of course, it's different. I will try to read audio files from my PC, as soon as I understand the operating method.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back