Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Oct 12, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #8,446 of 9,882
Oct 14, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #8,451 of 9,882

Now that's a setup! Nice taste (and ears) you have :)
With the 007, do you like it more than the Carbon?

I definitely like the 007 out of the BHSE better than the Carbon.  The soundstage just becomes holographic and expansive.....that's the first thing you notice.  Then comes the juicy details and the musicality that the 007 is capable of.  Can't wait to try the infamous metal base Phillips EL34 tubes.....but my wallet needs a break from being destroyed in other hobbies hah.  Good times to come.

Oct 20, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #8,455 of 9,882
A preamplifier is nothing more than an extra distortion artifact in your audio chain. There's nothing wrong with liking how it changes a neutral signal, as you say it is different.
Congrats on your lovely BHSE.

That VAC is a pretty damn nice preamp (I used to own its lower sibling the Renaissance III); its overall distortion should be quite low, and what it does add is likely to be euphonic in nature.

I can see the need for some extra gain with a BHSE coupled to a low-output source (e.g. a vinyl rig with a very low output MC cart). The BHSE gain is among the lowest of the various KGSShv/Carbon/KGST amps I've used -- and for that, it pairs well with balanced digital sources, but those sources have a really hot output. Furthermore, a full-feature preamp like the VAC has tone of ins/outs along with a remote-controlled volume (which VAC implements very well), which might be relevant for some setups. If I ever hook my turntable up to BHSE, I've considered that I might have to hook in my Rogue Hera preamp for extra gain (0.3mV Koetsu cartridge).

The hard job here is pushing 100's of Volts into the Stax drivers, and the BHSE does a fabulous job of that; inserting an extra high-quality preamp that's running into a simple 50K attenuator doesn't necessarily bump the sound quality down a notch.

Oct 20, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #8,456 of 9,882
It's coming!
biggrin.gif

landed ?

Oct 20, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #8,458 of 9,882
SR009 or SR007 ? :))

Oct 20, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #8,459 of 9,882
  It's here! All the hype is real... I haven't had that 'wow' feeling in a while :)
Thanks Justin and Mark for making it happen!

I tried hooking a VAC preamp before the BHSE, not gonna say it's definitely better but it does make a difference. gonna compare again later

Hi Tnounsy,
Hope you have many years enjoyment with your BHSE. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back