Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Jan 9, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #7,741 of 9,899
It's been said several times before that a BHSE coming from Stac through their regular retail system would be north of 10kUSD w/o any option.
Didn't Kevin or Birgir say a DIY T2 type of amp would be over 10kUSD if built by Justin? So, again, that's 15kUSD at very least if coming from Stax, isn't it?
The main block for Stax to release a new flagship amp to date has been just that: how to avoid escalating costs which would reduce target audience to a niche within the niche within the niche...

Has Justin given any publicly quotable hints about what he's going to build as a electrostatic/Stax amp when he stops doing BHSEs ? If anything. 

Of course, if Stax comes out with a production amp in the $10k USD or greater range, that just makes the BHSE at its current price look way under-priced.

Jan 9, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #7,742 of 9,899
It's been said several times before that a BHSE coming from Stac through their regular retail system would be north of 10kUSD w/o any option.
Didn't Kevin or Birgir say a DIY T2 type of amp would be over 10kUSD if built by Justin? So, again, that's 15kUSD at very least if coming from Stax, isn't it?
The main block for Stax to release a new flagship amp to date has been just that: how to avoid escalating costs which would reduce target audience to a niche within the niche within the niche...

Arnaud

Original t2 was around $1500 (at today's good dollar to yen rate) around 20 years ago. It was priced same as their flagship headphones. I doubt a new flagship amp would be priced similarly. Will be interesting. I am expecting north of 1M yen.

As for bhse coming through stax, I would guess closer to $15k. As for the t2, assuming parts were available, we are talking 5kish in parts. So add labor etc.

Jan 9, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #7,743 of 9,899
Original t2 was around $1500 (at today's good dollar to yen rate) around 20 years ago. It was priced same as their flagship headphones. I doubt a new flagship amp would be priced similarly. Will be interesting. I am expecting north of 1M yen.

As for bhse coming through stax, I would guess closer to $15k. As for the t2, assuming parts were available, we are talking 5kish in parts. So add labor etc.

I don't think it was that cheap? Going by this old magazine below, it seems the SRM-T2 was ¥460,000 and exch rates back then ranged from $1=¥98 -> $1=¥111 which puts the SRM-T2 around the USD$4144-$4694. Even by today's exchange rates of $1=¥119 it would have been $3865

Anyhow, that's OT. I'm more particularly curious when Justin stops the BHSE if he plans a successor. Or would the GS1/GSX/Picos be the only models sustain the Headamp business.

Jan 9, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #7,745 of 9,899
Until Stax make available their amps directly from them, then it's unlikely ( IMO ) for them to build an amp to the same SQ + build quality as the BHSE for around the same price, and that would also apply ( again IMO ) if Justin were to do T2's, assuming he was allowed and wanted to.

Jan 9, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #7,746 of 9,899

Arnaud

Looking at some Birgir's words, KGBH (not to mention DIY T2) is a pretty complicated amp, and something simpler could be made with a pretty similar result : 
Not going into a detailed circuit analysis of the T2 here but they basically took a circuit they had (SRX) and threw a bunch of parts at it to make it just about work.  The BH was based on what Kevin knew about the T2 circuit so he came very close with a lot fewer parts.  It can still be done with a lot fewer parts still and give better performance

OTH, a SRM-727 is considered (when modded) as a simpler KGSS(HV) : cheaper parts and unregulated PS. Speaking of price, it's $1200 in japan. Looks like Stax are not that bad to produce good amps for bucks...at least in japan.
I've the feeling something not as complicated as a T2 but sounding close (even better) could be made by Stax at an interesting price point (let's say k$ 5-6), through something like Carbon / grounded grid. Recent official prices's fall in Europe might be kind of anticipation for this TOTL amp, which could be far too expensive out of japan without such policy.

Pure speculation, of course 
biggrin.gif

Ali

Jan 9, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #7,747 of 9,899
I thought the BHSE may get an overhaul with modern parts swap...

Jan 9, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #7,748 of 9,899
I know they redesigned the psvane's (last year?). The new ones are the ones with gold pins. Heard these are more reliable but hard to tell since complaints often don't specify which they have. I do know if you are removing these tubes from sockets, be careful.

As for the xf3 stapled/crimped plates, it is referring to the British el34 and applies to the British xf4. I have heard the argument that the stapled plates versions are less reliable but it does seem to be more theoretical than and real evidence to the effect. Comments about worse sound from them as compare to xf2/xf1 seem more consistent.

If TheAttorney is to be believed and no reason not to, he liked the Dutch el34 better than British xf2. So if pricing is the same, you might lean towards the Dutch Xf3. I haven't heard any of them on bhse but have owned/played with el34 over the years on hifi eq. I would generally say that the British el34 are more euphonic and "slower" with that magic mid range. not that the Dutch versions don't have it but they seem more all rounders. Let me know if you don't get those xf3. Never really owned xf3 vs metal base so curious is there really that big a difference.

I know they redesigned the psvane's (last year?). The new ones are the ones with gold pins. Heard these are more reliable but hard to tell since complaints often don't specify which they have. I do know if you are removing these tubes from sockets, be careful.

As for the xf3 stapled/crimped plates, it is referring to the British el34 and applies to the British xf4. I have heard the argument that the stapled plates versions are less reliable but it does seem to be more theoretical than and real evidence to the effect. Comments about worse sound from them as compare to xf2/xf1 seem more consistent.

If TheAttorney is to be believed and no reason not to, he liked the Dutch el34 better than British xf2. So if pricing is the same, you might lean towards the Dutch Xf3. I haven't heard any of them on bhse but have owned/played with el34 over the years on hifi eq. I would generally say that the British el34 are more euphonic and "slower" with that magic mid range. not that the Dutch versions don't have it but they seem more all rounders. Let me know if you don't get those xf3. Never really owned xf3 vs metal base so curious is there really that big a difference.

Thanks for more info on the EL34's…I'll keep you posted on which I get when I get back in contact with the seller.
beerchug.gif

Jan 9, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #7,749 of 9,899

I don't think it was that cheap? Going by this old magazine below, it seems the SRM-T2 was ¥460,000 and exch rates back then ranged from $1=¥98 -> $1=¥111 which puts the SRM-T2 around the USD$4144-$4694. Even by today's exchange rates of $1=¥119 it would have been $3865

Anyhow, that's OT. I'm more particularly curious when Justin stops the BHSE if he plans a successor. Or would the GS1/GSX/Picos be the only models sustain the Headamp business.

I think you are right.  I was going by that interview Arnaud had at Stax facilities where the 180,000 yen was quoted by Stax.  But I think that was a mistake.  So at 3X current flagship price, that puts a new TOTL amp from stax around 10-12k

Jan 9, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #7,751 of 9,899

Has Justin given any publicly quotable hints about what he's going to build as a electrostatic/Stax amp when he stops doing BHSEs ? If anything. 

Of course, if Stax comes out with a production amp in the $10k USD or greater range, that just makes the BHSE at its current price look way under-priced.

If i can get enough parts, I will continue to build a BH but it will not be the BHSE. The two box design is too time consuming and I need to speed things along (so if you want that, the next batch will be the last)

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Jan 10, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #7,754 of 9,899
I've decided to go ahead with purchasing the Holland Amperex EL34's with Bugle Boy logos which were only made from 
1958 to 1962 which are supposed to be equivalent to the Mullard XF2. From reading here on H-F and doing some research, the consensus seems to be these tubes have sweeter/liquidy mid-range than the Mullards which I feel will benefit the 009.
Thank you to everyone here in helping with their input and my decision.
beerchug.gif

Jan 11, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #7,755 of 9,899
  I've decided to go ahead with purchasing the Holland Amperex EL34's with Bugle Boy logos which were only made from 
1958 to 1962 which are supposed to be equivalent to the Mullard XF2. From reading here on H-F and doing some research, the consensus seems to be these tubes have sweeter/liquidy mid-range than the Mullards which I feel will benefit the 009.
Thank you to everyone here in helping with their input and my decision.
beerchug.gif

I think you made a great choice.  Mind me asking if you got matched quad or 2 matched pairs?  And the cost?

I do want to verify one thing.  You mention that you read that the Amerpex EL34 had a sweeter midrange than the Mullard.  That seems to be different than my own impression.  Since I don't have a EL34 amp here at the moment, I can't verify.  My impression was always that the Mullard had the sweeter midrange.  But this be simply be because the Dutch DD getter el34 do a better job across the entire harmonic range so its midrange doesn't seem as "magical".  Mind pointing me towards where you read that the Dutch EL34 have sweeter midrange?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back