Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Dec 23, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #6,661 of 9,882
Okay guys, everyone demanding information needs to chill out. First of all, public threads are not the place for requests for information, much less fairly rude demands. I know some vendors and manufacturers that would literally send your money back and tell you to never darken their door again over behavior like this, and justin would be well within his rights to do the same to you guys. Secondly, you guys are getting really, really close to the letter of the posting guidelines, so keep that in mind. You're also getting a bit close to the wording of the terms of use, and that will get you banned. Third, you need to read back in earlier posts. Just rarely, if ever, responds to direct demands like this with public messages in the past, what makes you special? Your rudeness will be ignored, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating for the rest of us on the thread.

Yes, there have been problems and delays with this batch, but that doesn't give you the right to act like this. Honestly, I'd be surprised if you didn't get messages from mods about your postings, so once again, chill out. If you aren't getting messages from Justin then there's no substantive updates to give. And finally, keep in mind that you're not just taking out your frustration on justin by posting here, you're taking it out on every person that subscribes to the thread, and some of us don't take kindly to that. I think I won't be alone when I say that you should probably take the angry posts and angst over to the thread that was started a few weeks ago for venting about BHSE shipping, you'll find a more receptive audience over there.

TL;DR - Read the ToS and Posting Guidelines, and think about what you're saying before posting here. Stop hijacking the thread.

Dec 23, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #6,662 of 9,882
I agree with what smitty1110 just posted and wanted to add that, even if there is no intervention by those who run this site, there is another reason not to vent in posts.  This site allows each user to block members whose comments he does not want to read.  Personally, when I block someone, I never revisit that decision.  So your venting can result in your getting cut off from many users.

Dec 23, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #6,663 of 9,882
I assume the relvant posts have already been deleted? If not I don't see too much venting on the previous page. I can understand people getting a little nervous after 2 years+ and X-Max stress building up, just relax, take a deep breath, take a walk.

I agree though, that personal questions should be pm'd or e-mailed and if not too stupid, Justin will respond in a reasonable amount of time. Just my personal experience being in line for a GSX-MKII.

Dec 23, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #6,664 of 9,882
No, they're still there. It's not that they're even the worst comments on the thread, it's that they are shortly after updates from justin and the one guy made multiple posts. Seriously, if he doesn't answer the first one, a second post isn't going to help.

There has also been at least one a week since I subscribed to the thread 6 months ago, and I thought that this is truly getting absurd. On the other hand, there are some awesome people in this thread posting impressions and tube rolling stuff, and I really enjoy reading that. Also, the Herbie Halos, I've got some on order to use with my other tube amps as a test. Thanks whoever originally posted about those.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #6,665 of 9,882
On a positive note, the 009s showed up today, and currently listening to the stock tubes on newly opened headphones.  I am already quite sure that this sound is not tilted to the treble.  The bass is deep and with feeling.

Billy McLaughlin - Fingerdance currently.  But I will rev up some Toccata and Fugue in just a few minutes.  I do think I am getting what I was expecting, and the rumors are true.  Accurate, great extension high and low.  More lively than my balanced HD800 rig at work. 4 times the price though!  Happy so far, and I expect some improvements with time on the headphones, and with tube upgrades.  I am going to run stock for the first few days, just to be sure. Bigger soundstage than the HD800s, and massively more than JHA13s.

I can attest to the fact that the AudioNoteKits DAC 4.1 is terrific with this amp/headphone combo.

Thanks Justin!

Merry Christmas to all.

Dec 23, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #6,666 of 9,882
Congrats to your awesome set up. As you mentioned the Tocatta - given that Bach's Tocatta & Fuge is the most famous - don't miss Prokofiev's Tocatta op.11 e.g. by Martha Argerich. Piano is always a tough one in all dynamics, range and reverb but that should be a delight with your set up, give it some time to break in and you'll be in sonic heaven.
Enjoy and Happy Holidays
beerchug.gif

Dec 23, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #6,667 of 9,882
Ooh, Toccata and Fugue sounds fun
smily_headphones1.gif

What recording do you have?

Dec 25, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #6,668 of 9,882
Now that I finally received my BHSE, here's my set up with an SR-009 (that I had picked up almost exactly a year ago).  BTW, it also shows another amp/phone combo I ended up picking up recently during while waiting for the BSHE :).  Once I add a balanced cable for the HD-800, I'm looking forward to listening to both the setups for the next few months (I will likely end up with just one eventually).  Initial impressions leave me super impressed with the BHSE/SR-009 combo: effortless highs and wonderful detail without the associated glare.

Anil

Dec 25, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #6,669 of 9,882
Nice setup. :) I would recommend putting the amp on the top shelf if possible. It makes a big difference for heat dissipation which is directly tied to component life.

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #6,670 of 9,882
  Now that I finally received my BHSE, here's my set up with an SR-009 (that I had picked up almost exactly a year ago).  BTW, it also shows another amp/phone combo I ended up picking up recently during while waiting for the BSHE :).  Once I add a balanced cable for the HD-800, I'm looking forward to listening to both the setups for the next few months (I will likely end up with just one eventually).  Initial impressions leave me super impressed with the BHSE/SR-009 combo: effortless highs and wonderful detail without the associated glare.

Anil

Anil

You went for a wide VTI, the BLG503? Their website isnt pretty, but your photo looks clean. Once you have 2+ warm amps & their PSUs you need to go wide. At one stage I was looking at a Box Furniture unit, but the UK dealer never got back to me. I ended buying a nice HiFiRack Podium Reference in a wide (780mm) size. A chunky piece, it is solid, looks well, and with 5 shelves it holds most things; multiple amps, 2x DAC, and a couple of headphone stands.

Dec 27, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #6,672 of 9,882
I agree re off side remarks. I got a bit heated and my post got deleted, fair enough. But the thrust of what I said - I do think folk should be allowed to ask Justin for production info on here, if Justin uses this forum to communicate such information - which he clearly does. So, yes no attacks or bad words, BUT folk have a right to request info again if it is not forthcoming a week later. If this is no longer the situation, then Headamp should not post here.

Dec 27, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #6,673 of 9,882
My system is up and running, now with the Auralic Aries music streamer.  Sublime.  I will be trying my other tubes after a week or so.  I have a broken in quad of  (real) Sed Winged "C" EL34s, and a new quad of PSVane TII 6CA7, and I could scavenge a quad of Treasures from my amp.

Dec 27, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #6,674 of 9,882
  ...  I had known the hum was there, from queueing up lps, but it largely disappeared from consciousness when the lp noise and signal commenced.  ...

However, the need for redistributing the gain is still puzzling, and I would appreciate any suggestions to further reduce it.  ...

I guess I'll finish breakfast today with a healthy helping of crow.  I just received a Miyajima Madake phono cartridge to replace my aging Dynavector XV-1S.  The Madake is spec'ed at 0.23mV, and the XV-1S at 0.3mV, so my hum issue became worse by the ratio, and needed to be addressed.  The Miyajima distributor offers 1-week home demo's to make up for having very few dealers.  The Madake is a major step up in "placing" performers believably in a real space, and I did not want to return it because the hum was an issue.  After poking about, in desperation, I fixed the issue, by reversing my phono harness so the ground lead is connected at the turntable rather than at the preamp.

While "system interfacing and grounding practices are considered a black art" (http://svconline.com/mag/avinstall_pitfalls_audiophile_systems/), I apologize for having implied that my hum issues might have been exacerbated by the BHSE.  (And now, all you digiphiles can stop snickering and go back to your listening.)

Dec 27, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #6,675 of 9,882
I really miss the balancing capabilities afforded by my Stax T1 amplifier with its clutched volume pot's.  Could Señor Stax, or Spritzer or Justin or someone suggest a good, line level balance control that will not degrade sound quality (much) and allow, e.g., +/- 3dB of balance control, including supplier for critical parts as well as the circuit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back