Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Dec 19, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #6,632 of 9,902
  I only got 2 set of tubes that the BHSE stock tube and a set of national that even not pair. And the tube rolling seen not so positive in by case, I think I have to got some better tubes but so far don't have any idea what to get.

The Psvane EL34PH tube set makes a noticeable difference / improvement imo.  I think a few BHSE owners here on Head-Fi would agree.

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #6,633 of 9,902

The Psvane EL34PH tube set makes a noticeable difference / improvement imo.  I think a few BHSE owners here on Head-Fi would agree.

My BHSE arrived around 6 weeks ago.  For a couple of days I compared it and the Stax 009 with my HD800 and Super 7.  I did not notice a day or night difference between the two systems; both are excellent.  By closely listening, however, and I mean repeating 30-second passages with both systems connected to my SACD player, I could clearly hear that the Stax system had better resolution, better instrument impact and decay, somewhat better timbre, and somewhat less sibilance on certain vocals.  Taken all together, these differences made the Stax system a clear winner; it was just more excellent, more enjoyable overall to listen through the Stax system than the dynamic system.  Again, however, this was not night and day; if I had never heard the Stax system  (and I had the benefit of listening to it at a meet in DC where Justin came), I would hardly have been deprived by enjoying just the dynamic system.

Based on the recommendations of CorvetteGarage, Golfnutz, and David1961, among others, I had previously ordered a set of the Psvane EL34PHs.  This was during the long wait for the BHSE; perhaps I thought that it might arrive sooner if I had all the accoutrements waiting for it.  The other day, seeing David1961 mention again how he preferred these tubes, I swapped out the stock Mullards and put in the Psvanes.  I had been using the BHSE, so I waited for the Mullards to cool, and then I changed tubes.  Then I began to listen to what I had been listening to with the Mullards, Beethoven's third piano concerto.  I have to say that I couldn't tell any significant difference.

There are any number of plausible explanations for this.  (i) My audio memory sucks, and the period during which the tubes cooled was enough to make me forget the details of what I had heard with the Mullards.  (ii) My hearing sucks; quite possible, especially since I am definitely an old guy by Head-Fi standards.  (iii) I had been quite content with the sound of the Mullards as part of my overall system.  David1961 found an irritating sibilance on some music with the Mullards that disappeared with the Psvanes.  I did not have any memorable marker like that.  (iv) The Mullards were burnt in and the Psvanes were right out of the box.  And, of course, (v) the tubes are not all that different.

I plan on leaving the Psvanes in the BHSE for at least another 6 weeks--given their reputation for tight fit, I am not about to risk continually swapping them in and out for better comparisons with the Mullards--and then, if the spirit moves me, I may swap the Mullards back and try to tell if I notice a difference.   

Note that I am not saying that the tubes are the same.  I just want to suggest that if you listen with the stock Mullards and think it sounds great--you do not have any particular problems which vex you and keep you short of reaching nirvana--then you might not get any improvement from tube-rolling. 

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #6,634 of 9,902
update!

if your BHSE is part of the first 2 groups of 230V, you have already been emailed. if you're in Australia, this also applies to you.
those are burning in now and will ship next.

then the next group of 230V and 115V will burn-in once those racks are available. i will be emailing those people to confirm addresses this weekend - expect those to ship mid-january.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Dec 19, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #6,636 of 9,902

Your mileage may vary, mine did.  I'm getting the Herbie Halo's shortly, then I'll compare them one more time, but to date, the stock tubes sounds better to me, better resolution/detail/ease.

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #6,638 of 9,902
Ok, so the 100V is going back in line i suppose?

@ctemkin: one possible factor you did not mention is the music you're listening. i recall david mention about phil collins and some other pop music, that's no beethoven and there's a strong possibility you haven't heard the sale hardness because the recording you used simply did not highlight it.

I recall david mentioning about issue with specific records. But I might have got confused, David only mentioned about psvane tubes once and in this thread only (joke :wink: ).

Cheers,
Arnaud

Dec 20, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #6,640 of 9,902
Really?! You try reading it instead of posting a condescending remark.

Wasn't condescending, was pointing to the post you need to read.
Quoted from the referenced post "With the BHSE we listened to it first using the stock mullard tubes, then I changed them to the Psvane EL34PH's."

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #6,641 of 9,902

@ctemkin: one possible factor you did not mention is the music you're listening. i recall david mention about phil collins and some other pop music, that's no beethoven and there's a strong possibility you haven't heard the sale hardness because the recording you used simply did not highlight it.

I recall david mentioning about issue with specific records. But I might have got confused, David only mentioned about psvane tubes once and in this thread only (joke :wink: ).

Cheers,
Arnaud

+1
I think the music is the key, probably these recordings are good enough for the stock tubes.

Dec 20, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #6,642 of 9,902

Cheers,
Arnaud

I'm assuming you're referring to me Arnaud, if so it's Peter Gabriel not Phil Collins, although I have two albums by early Genesis when they were both in that band.

Dec 20, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #6,643 of 9,902
Sorry about that David! See, I did not read your story enough times :).
Arnaud

Dec 20, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #6,645 of 9,902

Users who are viewing this thread

Back