Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Dec 21, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #6,647 of 9,902
Thanks and Merry X-mass to you too. Should be fun next week. The darn thing is so honest you better have some good source. 

AudioNoteKits DAC 4.1 and VPI Scout 1.1 with K&K Audio Maxxed Phono Amp with silver step up transformers. I hope that does it.

I have an Auralic Aries to open at Christmas to feed the DAC.

I'm also mid way through constructing a DDAC 4 deck with Sowter OPTs.

Dec 21, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #6,648 of 9,902
The darn thing is so honest you better have some good source. 

I've occasionally used my iPod with my BHSE driving my 009's, and obviously the SQ isn't as good as with my main source, but I found the SQ from using my iPod was still very good.
I did have to turn the BHSE's volume up though ( around 3 o'clock ) compared to when I use my main source. ( between 10 and 11 o'clock, depending on what song I'm listening to )

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #6,650 of 9,902
I did have to turn the BHSE's volume up though ( around 3 o'clock ) compared to when I use my main source. ( between 10 and 11 o'clock, depending on what song I'm listening to )

Doesn't that just mean that the K-01 has more gain than the iPod?  The volume control on the BHSE is a gain control, not a "power control", per se.  Or do you mean that the mean volume with an iPod really must be louder to get the same quality of listening experience?

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #6,651 of 9,902
On experimenting with my iPod touch latest generation, I need to have the volume almost maximum for my pre-power amp
to then control the volume ok. Have you tried that? The output from the iPod is really for headphones so low impedance, whereas the oupt to an amp in 50k ohms, so about 5 thousand times the impedance of speakers or some headphones.

Dec 21, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #6,652 of 9,902
Using the DS-H01 Digital Docking Station from TEAC as a source i´m ok with the sound on redbook data from Iphone/Ipod or Ipad.
Same for the ONKYO ND-S1 which should do the job with no difference. Both where connected with COAX or SPDIF to the Esoteric DAC for experimental use.
Both MacBookPro SSD, one with Snowleopard, the new one with Yosemite OS also where connected to the DAC.
Default connection here is asynchron USB.

All this into the KGSS and 009 and a KGBHse next year, maybe.

To my surprise, even the comparable sources have a little different sound.
As i experienced, every source can manipulate the sound result even when it should not really happen.

Dec 21, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #6,653 of 9,902
Doesn't that just mean that the K-01 has more gain than the iPod?  The volume control on the BHSE is a gain control, not a "power control", per se.  Or do you mean that the mean volume with an iPod really must be louder to get the same quality of listening experience?
My memory is iPods & most small mobile players have low output. Usually they are feeding more efficient IEMs rather than big open headphones. My PSAudio puts out upto 2.5volts, iPod might be no more than 1.

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #6,654 of 9,902

I don't know anything about the technical side of audio but I would've thought the K-01 has more gain than an iPod.

I've just tried my iPod with the BHSE and a comfortable volume on the BHSE's volume knob is now 1 o'clock, whereas before it was around 3 o'clock.
I think this is because of the tubes I'm now using because I had to lower the volume when I first started using those tubes which was with my main source.
I find the listening quality from using an iPod with the BHSE isn't dependant of a higher volume, I get good SQ from listening at my normal listening level, although obviously the SQ from using an iPod isn't anything like the level when using the K-01.

The point of my previous post was after some thinking a high end source is needed to make the BHSE sound amazing, and one does, but I'm just saying when an iPod is used with that amp the SQ is still very good.
This is when using the 009's, i don't know about the 007's or any of the other stats headphones because I've only used my 009's while my iPod was being used.

I also found that the volume from the iPod doesn't make any difference to the volume from the BHSE, meaning the the volume setting on the iPod can be either on zero or full and it doesn't effect the volume from the BHSE.

Dec 21, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #6,655 of 9,902
My memory is iPods & most small mobile players have low output. Usually they are feeding more efficient IEMs rather than big open headphones. My PSAudio puts out upto 2.5volts, iPod might be no more than 1.

(Help!  we're falling!  Into an OCD Black Hole…)

Actually, that touches somewhat on my point.  "Gain" and, lets call it, "output capability" are rather independent.  In a gross sense, output capability is absolutely limited by the DC voltage powering the device, it simply cannot produce voltage swings bigger than that.  (A more refined sense would, e.g., take distortion into account.)  Gain, on the other hand, is the *ratio* of how many volts you get out for how many volts you put in, *at low level*.  It is design choice of the circuit designer.  The "volume control" is a gain control that the designer has "granted" to the user.  The gain ratio stays the same going from low input levels to higher levels, until you run into the output capability mentioned above.  There are not hard standards for consumer audio equipment, so the gains of various components vary a fair amount.  To first order, I'm fine if power amplifier A has less gain than power amplifier B, as long as my preamplifier has enough gain with some setting of the volume control to drive both to the desired listening levels.  There is not an a priori reason to believe that B will sound better than A, or vice versa.  There are higher-order effects that go on.  In my case, I have a hum issue with my BHSE in my listening chain, *if* I do not set the volume controls of my BHSE and preamp properly.  There are a whole range of settings of the two that will produce the same output volume (and power!), but they produce different hum levels.    (I do have a lingering concern that, to get low hum, I have to set the gain on the preamp quite high, so there is some danger that I might be operating it close to its distortion-based output capability.) Or again, volume controls are intended to change volume and nothing else, however, they *may* actually change other aspects of the signal besides its volume, like bandwidth.  (OK, fire all engines, let's get clear of this thing…)  Anyway, the setting of the volume control is not a good indicator of how closely you are driving a device to its output capability.  It is not a good indicator of how loudly something will play, which also depends on the gains of devices before and after it in the chain.  It is, by itself, not a good indicator of the quality of components in the chain.  An approach I would take in comparing 2 components would be to 1) set the volume controls so that they produce as near as possible the same average volume, and 2) compare the details of the sound quality of the two components at this same volume level.  I like my system to produce the illusion of transporting me into the recording space of the (typically classical) performance.  For my favored recordings from Decca's Kenneth Wilkinson, this means I want to hear the volume level to which the Decca tree of microphones was exposed at the time of recording.  Of course, I cannot get this absolutely correct, but I take my best guess at what that level would be, and set the volumes controls accordingly, for serious listening, or doing comparison, etc.

(Nope, the engines do not have the required thrust.  We're goners.)

Dec 22, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #6,657 of 9,902
  update!

if your BHSE is part of the first 2 groups of 230V, you have already been emailed. if you're in Australia, this also applies to you.
those are burning in now and will ship next.

then the next group of 230V and 115V will burn-in once those racks are available. i will be emailing those people to confirm addresses this weekend - expect those to ship mid-january.

Helllo Justin

Just one tentative suggestion: why not buying extra burn-in racks? Those racks shouldn't be very expensive. This would make it possible to quicken the pace.

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #6,660 of 9,902
Justin

Hi , i want to ask about mine , what is my groups ? first 2 or next ? because i was receive your mail 30 August
"Hello,

Your BHSE amp is undergoing testing now. Please send in the remainder of the payment. You can either send a check or bank transfer (due to high PayPal/CC fees, I prefer either of these methods) or use PayPal/Credit Card at the link below.

Your BHSE has been configured as: 2 Stax jacks, Alps RK50, Silver, Metal feet, 230V"

Alex  kot2222

Users who are viewing this thread

Back