Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Dec 27, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #6,677 of 9,902
  My system is up and running, now with the Auralic Aries music streamer.  Sublime.  I will be trying my other tubes after a week or so.  I have a broken in quad of  (real) Sed Winged "C" EL34s, and a new quad of PSVane TII 6CA7, and I could scavenge a quad of Treasures from my amp.

Post the tube rolling results. I was going to get Psvane 6CA7, but decided I might try to get some NOS. 

Dec 28, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #6,678 of 9,902
  My system is up and running, now with the Auralic Aries music streamer.  Sublime.  I will be trying my other tubes after a week or so.  I have a broken in quad of  (real) Sed Winged "C" EL34s, and a new quad of PSVane TII 6CA7, and I could scavenge a quad of Treasures from my amp.

Hey Bones, did the Auralic replace the AudioNoteKits DAC 4.1 SE?  If so could you give a few comparisons?

Dec 28, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #6,679 of 9,902
Hey Bones, did the Auralic replace the AudioNoteKits DAC 4.1 SE?  If so could you give a few comparisons?

Nope, the Auralic Aries is a device that gets music from an USB hard disk, an upnp server, or from the cloud (I use Tidal), and outputs a digital signal for the DAC.

The Aries replaced a DIY PC that I was using to send music to the DAC.

Dec 29, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #6,680 of 9,902
While I really enjoy listening to my 009's with my BHSE, I enjoy listening to my CIEM's with my Pico Slim as well, I also find them both to be very comfortable but in a different way.

When it comes to SQ, the 009's have an open sound, whereas my CIEM's have a slight closed sound similar to the LCD-XC I had.

So I've just ordered a pair of SR-003mk2's to be driven by the BHSE which should give me an open sound like I get from the 009's, yet give me a similar kind of comfort I get from my CIEM's.

Dec 29, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #6,681 of 9,902
So I've just ordered a pair of SR-003mk2's to be driven by the BHSE which should give me an open sound like I get from the 009's, yet give me a similar kind of comfort I get from my CIEM's.

i have this combo and it sounds spectacular but the comfort is not on par with a good custom.

Dec 29, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #6,682 of 9,902
i have this combo and it sounds spectacular but the comfort is not on par with a good custom.

It's good to know that you're using the SR-003mk2's with your BHSE cucera.
When I say similar to my CIEM's in comfort, I was meaning they go in the ear as opposed to around.
If I don't find the 003mk2's to be that comfortable, I might see about having custom sleeves done.

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #6,683 of 9,902
While I really enjoy listening to my 009's with my BHSE, I enjoy listening to my CIEM's with my Pico Slim as well, I also find them both to be very comfortable but in a different way.

When it comes to SQ, the 009's have an open sound, whereas my CIEM's have a slight closed sound similar to the LCD-XC I had.

I got worried there, I thought the SR-003s were standard bias, but they are 540-580v so all good. I would be interested to know your experiences with those David. Do Stax have a portable Stat amp? I don't think they do, if so, more's the pity. Those 003 are so light, they would be great on trains etc.

Dec 29, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #6,684 of 9,902
stax definitely has a tiny pocket portable amp.
eats batteries alive. Special output connector.

the sr-003 is an amazing headphone especially for female
vocals.

for some people they get painful to wear and require a bit
of fiddling.

Dec 29, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #6,685 of 9,902
Interesting. Maybe a trick battery pack needs to be supplied by someone? I guess the voltages required is the issue?

Dec 29, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #6,686 of 9,902
  Interesting. Maybe a trick battery pack needs to be supplied by someone? I guess the voltages required is the issue?

It´s been done already.

Original thread and review
http://www.head-fi.org/t/277049/the-stax-srm-001-mod-thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/332117/review-audiocats-modded-stax-sr-001-mkii-vs-stock-sr-001-and-srm-313-sr-003

Dec 29, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #6,688 of 9,902
the sr-003 is an amazing headphone especially for female
vocals.

for some people they get painful to wear and require a bit
of fiddling.

As I mentioned in one of my posts Kevin, if I don't find the SR-003mk2's to be that comfortable, I'll see about getting custom sleeves done.
Then I'd be confident they would be very comfortable because my CIEM's are.

Dec 31, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #6,689 of 9,902
There is an earlier post on here David, where they talk about the Stax portable amp (with a custom battery pack).
That is an interesting portable system IMO. I know you weren't looking that aspect. It is supposed to have 16 hour battery life.

I was thinking of getting some 507s to use when I go back to the UK on longer visits, and use my MacBook Pro and Metrum Octave DAC. I didn't feel confident to lug my 009s in the car all the way back and forth to Spain.

I can't handle being without tunes for 2 months at a time....

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #6,690 of 9,902
There is an earlier post on here David, where they talk about the Stax portable amp (with a custom battery pack).
That is an interesting portable system IMO. I know you weren't looking that aspect. It is supposed to have 16 hour battery life.

I was thinking of getting some 507s to use when I go back to the UK on longer visits, and use my MacBook Pro and Metrum Octave DAC. I didn't feel confident to lug my 009s in the car all the way back and forth to Spain.

I can't handle being without tunes for 2 months at a time....

I've seen that post you're referring to Julian, but I wouldn't want Stax in-Earspeakers ( SR-001 ) for outside use because they wouldn't block out outside noise, whereas my CIEM's do and are very good at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back