Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Oct 20, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #9,511 of 9,902
Anybody know if HeadAmp ever runs holiday specials. Hate to order a BHSE a few days before it goes on sale, or they offer something like their free Pico amp with headphone purchase promotion they have.

Nov 3, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #9,514 of 9,902
Bonddam, how does the BHSE compare to previous amps you have used the Voce with? How does the 009S compare to the Voce?

if you want bass go with SR007 mk2. The 009s is better then Voce. Have only used BHSE no other electorstatic amp.

Nov 6, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #9,515 of 9,902
if you want bass go with SR007 mk2. The 009s is better then Voce. Have only used BHSE no other electorstatic amp.
My 009/BHSE combo provides a more frequent and normally better emotional connection to a recording, especially in the classical genre. What is your opininion on your TC/amp combo's listening satisfaction compared to your 009S/BHSE? I inquire because I am considring a TC purchase.

Nov 6, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #9,516 of 9,902
I have a TC with a Woo WA33. Also a Voce and my BHSE should arrive late next week or shortly after. Justin told me it was built and undergoing testing.(super excited)
I don't listen to much classical but many other genres. Up to this point the TC has a large very accurate sound stage. It is also very fast and dynamic. I would describe it as slightly V shaped sound signature. I will post thoughts on the BHSE and Voce in the coming weeks. But I think the TC and 009s are different headphones with different strengths. If classical music is the majority of what you listen to I would definetly recommend demoing first.

Nov 6, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #9,517 of 9,902
My 009/BHSE combo provides a more frequent and normally better emotional connection to a recording, especially in the classical genre. What is your opininion on your TC/amp combo's listening satisfaction compared to your 009S/BHSE? I inquire because I am considring a TC purchase.

For me, the 009/BHSE combo ultimately bests the TC/WA33 (just what I own) slightly. The sound is just more coherent altogether and performs better with complex music. The TCs are absolutely undeniable when it comes to the soundstage and the surreal wow factor, but the 009 has a much better midrange presentation and overall has a level of clarity the TCs don't have.

That said, the 009 has like no bass in comparison lol. It's different strokes for different folks. Both are really quite amazing. For me, personally, I would give up the TCs in a heartbeat if it came down to it or the 009.

Nov 6, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #9,518 of 9,902
They are equal in enjoyment. The 1266 just goes lower. 1266 is more laid back IMO. Both have spacious sound. The sr-009s would be number one king if it had the bass of 1266 for me alone. I really like the sound of 009s more detailed for sure. The estat in general sounds clearer vs planars in general. If you consider a 1266 you will also have to consider the right amp. Only headphone that has estat clarity level is HEDD. The veil only is realized once you go from planar to estat. The 1266 is best sounding planar IMO.

Nov 6, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #9,519 of 9,902
For me, the 009/BHSE combo ultimately bests the TC/WA33 (just what I own) slightly. The sound is just more coherent altogether and performs better with complex music. The TCs are absolutely undeniable when it comes to the soundstage and the surreal wow factor, but the 009 has a much better midrange presentation and overall has a level of clarity the TCs don't have.

That said, the 009 has like no bass in comparison lol. It's different strokes for different folks. Both are really quite amazing. For me, personally, I would give up the TCs in a heartbeat if it came down to it or the 009.
I concur with your comment on complex music performance. In a large orchestral cresendo my 009/BHSE lays it all out in the open closer to a symphony hall experience than any other amp/HP combo I have yet heard. So how can it not excell in emotional excitement. There have been many times when I can hear and imagine the orchestra laid out before me playing exquisitly. At those time I have listened intently in amazement and asked myself how can headphones portray such a musical mirage. I wish I could get this same experience with all types of music. Thus my interest in the TC. The search itself is an addiction. I just can't seem to stop looking for "better" even though I know the shade of grass does not necessarily correlate with its quality.

Nov 6, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #9,520 of 9,902
They are equal in enjoyment. The 1266 just goes lower. 1266 is more laid back IMO. Both have spacious sound. The sr-009s would be number one king if it had the bass of 1266 for me alone. I really like the sound of 009s more detailed for sure. The estat in general sounds clearer vs planars in general. If you consider a 1266 you will also have to consider the right amp. Only headphone that has estat clarity level is HEDD. The veil only is realized once you go from planar to estat. The 1266 is best sounding planar IMO.
I currently have the Pass HPA-1 with HE1000se, Utopia and Stellia. I think I understand each combo's strengths and weaknesses. As such I pick my headphones according to the type of music I am listening to as I suppose most people do. But I too am still looking for that magic can that will give me it all in one unit. Or at least most of it. That is what I was hoping the TC would provide. Guess the only way I will know is to audition a pair. Will plan on doing that in the next week or so. I hope my Pass amp will synergize with the TC.

Nov 6, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #9,521 of 9,902
I have been on the same quest. But I think I have come to the conclusion there is no such headphone. At least not yet. But I have narrowed down my list to 4. They each do something special with different kinds of music. So until the Goldilocks headphone arrives, I will just have to suffer with what I have.:jecklinsmile: Oh the struggles of an audiophile!

Nov 6, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #9,522 of 9,902
Getting it all is impossible, and you really have to decide what's superior for yourself. I used to have a bhse and sr-007 mk1 and 009. I now have the meze empyrean and a simaudio 430Ha and I prefer my new setup by a wide margin. It isn't as resolving in the upper frequencies but I think it is superior overall and I find myself listening much frequently. I'm sure many would disagree with that opinion. Based on the descriptions of the 1266 TC I would probably prefer that to the empy but I will definitely audition it before I make a purchase. This post isn't to say that planars are better than stats but that for my personal taste a planar setup that is probably not the best is superior to a near totl stat rig. Sound is highly subjective

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #9,523 of 9,902
Hello everybody,

I'm surprised no one uses (or talks about his use) the Smyth Realiser A8 on their headphone monitoring system.
For my part, I have been using the Realiser A8 for many years (initially on my Stax SR007MK1 amp and headphones) and now on my BHSE / Stax 009. Using the Smyth brings an incredible three-dimensional image. Each time I removed the Smyth from my headphone system, I was so frustated with the sound image that I put it back in place immediately.
The Smyth Realizer is a device requiring a certain practice of implementation in order to benefit from all its qualities.

It was my little contribution.

Have a good day

Nov 7, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #9,525 of 9,902
Hello everybody,

I'm surprised no one uses (or talks about his use) the Smyth Realiser A8 on their headphone monitoring system.
For my part, I have been using the Realiser A8 for many years (initially on my Stax SR007MK1 amp and headphones) and now on my BHSE / Stax 009. Using the Smyth brings an incredible three-dimensional image. Each time I removed the Smyth from my headphone system, I was so frustated with the sound image that I put it back in place immediately.
The Smyth Realizer is a device requiring a certain practice of implementation in order to benefit from all its qualities.

It was my little contribution.

Have a good day

I have considered it for my BHSE/SR009, but... I have always been afraid to bring distorsion into a super clean & revelating system, and... I also always considerd it being designed for gaming/film playback rather than for "audiophile" music listening ?

Also, do I need to swap my TOL DAC for thr A8's DAC or can I still use my Denafrip Terminator DAC ?

Aside question: will the new A16 bring an even better experience than the A8 with a BHSE/SR009 ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back