Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Nov 7, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #9,526 of 9,902
This is what I feared before buying it 7 years ago ... As I wrote previously, I am fully satisfied with it.
It is essential to have a good speaker system to duplicate ...
My main source is a Nagra CDP: it's an excellent CD player.
I find that the gain in terms of image is much greater than the loss of definition which, in my opinion, is very low. Be careful, it is necessary to master its implementation because there is a risk of "missing the product".
I have no feedback from the A16.

Nov 7, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #9,527 of 9,902
I have considered it for my BHSE/SR009, but... I have always been afraid to bring distorsion into a super clean & revelating system, and... I also always considerd it being designed for gaming/film playback rather than for "audiophile" music listening ?

Also, do I need to swap my TOL DAC for thr A8's DAC or can I still use my Denafrip Terminator DAC ?

Aside question: will the new A16 bring an even better experience than the A8 with a BHSE/SR009 ?
No, it actually sounds better, if you use your own DAC with it.
And yes, there will be a loss in transparency, if you enjoy headphones for what they are and maximise their strengths, then you don't need it.

If you hate headphones for what they are, and you want them to sound much more like speakers instead, then you should try it.
Since it is an illusion, it works much better if you have a speaker setup and you listen to headphones from the same spot.

Nov 7, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #9,528 of 9,902
This is what I feared before buying it 7 years ago ... As I wrote previously, I am fully satisfied with it.
It is essential to have a good speaker system to duplicate ...
My main source is a Nagra CDP: it's an excellent CD player.
I find that the gain in terms of image is much greater than the loss of definition which, in my opinion, is very low. Be careful, it is necessary to master its implementation because there is a risk of "missing the product".
I have no feedback from the A16.

Good to hear this. :) Please can you tell us what is most important for a sucessful implementation.

Also, how to connect the synth to the source if we still want to use our own DAC ?

thanks in advance

Nov 7, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #9,529 of 9,902
Good to hear this. :) Please can you tell us what is most important for a sucessful implementation.

Also, how to connect the synth to the source if we still want to use our own DAC ?

thanks in advance
There are two SPDIF optical outputs that pass through the processed signal to your DAC.

To be honest, the measurements are by far the most important.
Ideally, you have (or you have temporary access to) a terrific-sounding speaker setup in an acoustically treated room (it's going to "copy" everything, including acousting 'problems', if there are any). And with the Realiser you can "copy" that sound with the help of microphones placed in your ears.
Measurement 1 is measuring speakers from the listening position, and then it will "blend in" with the sound of your headphone system measurement 2 taken with the headphones on from the same spot, microphones still in place - and you can verify / fine-tune the matching of the two. The Realiser basically compiles the two measurements (with real-time compensation with the head-tracking to ensure the virtual speakers stay in fixed positions) to ensure you are hearing measurement 1 with your headphones.
So in the end, it will keep some attributes of the headphones themselves but it will sound like the speakers you measure.

To stay on topic, using an SR-009 is beneficial, but a BHSE is probably overkill for this (especially if you intend to change the tubes from time to time), and a KGSSHV or similar solid-state amp is more than enough.
Since you can take measurements in multiple positions, you can create virtual speakers even from stereo setups.

And of course you can try other virtual rooms which other people measured and shared to "couple" with your own headphone listening measurements, but it won't be the same, it's a case of try and see if it works.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #9,530 of 9,902
I'm loving my A-16 with my BHSE/SR-009s. I run the A-16s SPIDIF out to my Auralic VEGA DAC and then the balanced out to the BHSE. I set the BHSE volume to max and the Auralic to 0 dB gain, so I can use the A-16 to control the volume. Wonderful for movie watching while using headphones. Like owning a home theater, but a PITA to get setup/configured properly and you won't get the best results if you take short cuts. Also, as someone else mentioned, the effect works better if there are speakers setup in the room. Helps trick the brain.

BTW, there is an active A-16 topic here on Head-Fi.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #9,531 of 9,902
I should probably mention that I'm also getting great results pairing the A-16 with my Ether 2. Works well using an external amp and DAC (Woo WA5, VEGA) and also driven directly by the A-16. So, SR-009/BHSE is not needed to have a great experience with the A-16.

Nov 20, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #9,533 of 9,902
what other tubes work with BHSE? I've come across other tube but don't remember where I saw them.

Nov 23, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #9,534 of 9,902
Nov 23, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #9,536 of 9,902
I turned on my BHSE today and then it powered off. Blew fuse that’s under the power cable. I’m hoping for fuses to come tomorrow. I really wanted to listen today.

I think I need a cheap back up energizer for when the BHSE needs service or put it in my office.

Nov 23, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #9,537 of 9,902
Wonder what caused it? I would look for a problem with your power cord. Or perhaps cord wasn't plugged in all the way. If it happens again I world definitely have it checked out.
Possibly tube problem?

Nov 23, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #9,538 of 9,902
hope it isn’t tube paid over $500 for them. :deadhorse:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back