Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Sep 30, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #78 of 9,899
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the KGBH SE arrived yesterday. I'm using both O2MK1s and Lambda Pros with an APL modded Phillips SACD 1000 to the BHSE (all black, RK50, two pro bias jacks). I'll get back with people in a week or so after I've had some time with this rig, but I wanted to chime in here to say to anyone who's still waiting, it's worth the wait.
smile.gif

Boomana:

Any update on your impressions? I am still waiting for mine.

JHellow

Oct 1, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #79 of 9,899
Jhelllow,

Are you using your KGBH SE will the stock el 34s or some other tube? I have a friend who can supply almost any old el 34, I just have to figure out which ones to ask for.

Oct 1, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #80 of 9,899
I'm using stock tubes right now. I've not posted my impressions because, in truth, I'm still listening for pure enjoyment right now, trying out every CD I have, wondering how the next one will sound, and I'm not yet interested in taking the time to define what it is I'm hearing and put it into words. I will say I'm still extremely happy with my purchase, and am trying to avoid the temptation of buying the 404LEs just to see how they will sound.

Oct 1, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #82 of 9,899
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The boomana edition BHSE rig is the best sound I've ever heard. Nuff said.

I thought you liked my R10 rig the same
tongue.gif

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #83 of 9,899
Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry I /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jhelllow,

Are you using your KGBH SE will the stock el 34s or some other tube? I have a friend who can supply almost any old el 34, I just have to figure out which ones to ask for.

I do not have mine yet. Soon, I hope! As for stock tubes, I sent Justin a set of matched NOS GE Big Bottles and he is supposed to test them with my unit before he ships it.

Perhaps Justin wil weigh in here on how those tubes sound with the BHSE.

I think you cannot go wrong with a matched set of vintage Mullard XF2s, if your friend can get you such a set. Remember that Mullard manufactured for a bunch folks so its the XF2 that you seek, irrespective of whether it is Mullard or some another name. I have heard several vintages of XF2 over the years and perhaps the one vintage to avoid is the version with the single halo getter. The double D getter sounds great!!

JHellow

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #84 of 9,899
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought you liked my R10 rig the same
tongue.gif

shhhhhhhhhhhhh dont mention the R10s.
atsmile.gif

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #85 of 9,899
jhellow,

I believe the tubes you describe are the ones my friend has also recommended and he has a quad. I'll give those a try along with what comes with the amp.

I am somewhere in the queue, I just don't know where or how close I am getting.

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #86 of 9,899
If you're waiting for an amp it's a good time to stock up on EL34 tubes! I recommend getting matched quads of these types:

- Mullard xf1 or xf2 00-getter, made in Blackburn in the late 50's and 60's, xf1 have larger dark brown bases

- Philips xf3 or xf4 DD-getter, made in Sittard or Brussels late 50's and early 60's, brown bases

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhellow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for stock tubes, I sent Justin a set of matched NOS GE Big Bottles and he is supposed to test them with my unit before he ships it.

GE 6CA7 haven't really worked well for me. I liked using them with Sennheisers in another amp but they seem relatively thin, bright and lacking some bass in the BHSE.

Quote:

I think you cannot go wrong with a matched set of vintage Mullard XF2s, if your friend can get you such a set. Remember that Mullard manufactured for a bunch folks so its the XF2 that you seek, irrespective of whether it is Mullard or some another name. I have heard several vintages of XF2 over the years and perhaps the one vintage to avoid is the version with the single halo getter. The double D getter sounds great!!

I like the Mullard xf2 00-getter very much, as well as the xf1. They sound different, more different than I expected, and work well with the O2mk1 or O2mk2.

I believe the brown base DD-getter EL34 were made by Philips in Sittard (X code) or Brussels (L code) in the late 50's and early 60's. They were designated xf3 or xf4, and not to be confused with the later Blackburn-made Mullard xf3 and xf4 tubes which succeeded the single 0-getter xf2 in the early 1970's.

I also like the DD-getter EL34, they work especially well with the SR-Omega and also the Jade and HE60.

Quote:

I have a friend who can supply almost any old el 34, I just have to figure out which ones to ask for.

You can try asking for Philips metal base or GEC KT77 made in England in the 60's and 70's, and see how good of a friend he is.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #87 of 9,899
No experience with this amp - yet - but has anyone tried the contemporary Winged C EL34? (Real St Petersburg Svetlana, not relabeled from New Sensor/EH. Relatively speaking, New Sensor makes crapola tubes where high end hifi is concerned...) I have used them in other amps and like them very much. I suspect all their power tubes are pretty good. Lacking the exclusive cachet of NOS, they still might be worth a try. Antique Electronics Supply in Arizona. Matched quad $104 US plus shipping.

Clark

Oct 29, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #89 of 9,899
I have owned a ES-1, Arestaeus, and BHSE.

The Arestaeus is the most euphoric and musical but least powerful by far. The BHSE is the most powerful but is not euphoric at all. The ES-1 is slightly less powerful than the BHSE and slightly less euphoric than the Araeseaus but close and I like both power and musicality. I really miss my ES-1 because I like that romantic musical sound.

Does anyone have a recommendation for tubes for the BHSE or for a source which may add a more romantic, euphoric sound?

By the way, I bought some HE60's for by BHSE. I have never been a fan of the more open brighter style headphones because there is always etch that hurts my ears. The HE60 has an even brighter more open sound than the HE90 and there is no ear pain. To my shock- they sound better in many ways on my BHSE than my 02 MK1 or MK2 overall. True they lack a bit of bass- but they are clear, light, open, and much more detailed. I love the open clear sound. I always have liked that kind of sound but could never live with the ear fatigue. The HE60's are the first headphone I have found with the good, but not the bad. Highly recommended.

A few comments on tubes in the BHSE. I have the 6ca7 Sylvania Fat bottle. They are brighter and more agressive- more powerful than the current production SED winged C. The Winged C is the best current prduction tube I have tried, however I prefer the Sylvania 6ca7. I have a tube output source which is very rich sounding- so I don't find the fat bottle 6ca7 to be thin at all in my setup. Has anyone tried the current production KT77 by Gold Lion? It is supposed to be an exact replica of the old stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back