Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Sep 4, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #3,962 of 9,881

Sensitivity to certain areas would probably be the explanation plus personal preferences.  While age is always a factor in terms of what we hear, how much abuse the ears have... ehh... seen is much bigger one IMO.  Sensitivity can be lost in certain pasts of the audible range but it's hard for us to spot that unless we test for it. 

So true, I would also venture to throw out there music preference and the recordings we happen to throw into the rotation for frequently. 
smile.gif

Sep 5, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #3,964 of 9,881
Please have a listen to Peter Gabriel's " Sledge Hammer " and " Big Time " loudly with the 009 / BHSE, then post your thoughts.

I had a listen and yes I have to a agree it’s a very hot recording, as is to be expected with any honest transducer the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. You got to take the good with the bad, otherwise we’d be sacrificing all the good traits inherent with the 009s. Take Intruder from New Blood for example, for me the texture and tone of the instruments never have been better portrayed than with the 009s

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #3,965 of 9,881
  May I ask when can my BHSE #47 Back?
It is already sent back for repair for more then 3 months.
mad.gif

I gather you've tried calling or e-mailing Justin? He may not be logging in to HF to check all posts and when he does, yours may be buried by the time he checks this thread.

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #3,966 of 9,881
I had a listen and yes I have to a agree it’s a very hot recording, as is to be expected with any honest transducer the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. You got to take the good with the bad, otherwise we’d be sacrificing all the good traits inherent with the 009s. Take Intruder from New Blood for example, for me the texture and tone of the instruments never have been better portrayed than with the 009s

The 009's are the best sounding headphones I've ever heard but before I got the HD-600, I was thinking of selling mine.
Since getting the 600's though I decided to keep my 009's.

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #3,967 of 9,881
David, what's your 009's serial no.? My first pair is No.18xx and did sound bright in the upper-mid when new but got better after 100hours. Then it suffered from channel imbalance issue and my dealer replaced it with a new pair which is No. 21xx. I found the new one sounds just fine right out of the box. Don't if it is because I am getting more used to the 009s' character or STAX has done some tweaks on the new batch.

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #3,968 of 9,881
David, what's your 009's serial no.? My first pair is No.18xx and did sound bright in the upper-mid when new but got better after 100hours. Then it suffered from channel imbalance issue and my dealer replaced it with a new pair which is No. 21xx. I found the new one sounds just fine right out of the box. Don't if it is because I am getting more used to the 009s' character or STAX has done some tweaks on the new batch.

Hi Michael. The serial number is SZ9-1415 which doesn't tell me anything. I've had mine since December 2011 and they've worked without any problems, apart from what I've mentioned about certain songs I listened to with them.
I also got them from pricejapan.

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #3,969 of 9,881
FWIW, my # is sz9-1550, and I have mentioned here before that it sure sounds like they were brighter at first and have calmed down a lot with break-in (about 18 months now approx.).
Mine are from Stax USA. 'never had any problems with them.

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #3,971 of 9,881
Since we are on the subject, although I am very happy with the 009 and BHSE, I suspect that the SR-507 may be the better value.  It is a very fine transducer paired with the BHSE.  I am a flat-earth kind of guy and am only interested in what sounds good and this combination is very worthy depending on the quality of the source.  For anyone hesitant to lay down 5 large for 009's, I do not think you will be disappointed with your new BHSE (with Treasures) and the 507's.  

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #3,972 of 9,881
So before the comments come, what I mean is that the 507's are warmer for those who find the 009's brighter without much loss of detail and no loss in dynamics.  With my system this is most noticeable with the Beatles 24/44.1 FLAC remasters that are the very example of bright - typical Apple studio output.  With this source and others, the 507's are a bit superior.  Unfortunately, I do not have any version of the 007's for comparison. 

Sep 18, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #3,974 of 9,881
  Sensitivity to certain areas would probably be the explanation plus personal preferences.  While age is always a factor in terms of what we hear, how much abuse the ears have... ehh... seen is much bigger one IMO.  Sensitivity can be lost in certain pasts of the audible range but it's hard for us to spot that unless we test for it. 

I think sensitivity is accurate. The 009 on my BHSE, as well as every other amp and source I've heard it on, has been mildly painful to listen to. My non-audiophile friends who are particularly sensitive to brightness have reported the same feedback independently. I appreciate the 009 from a technical perspective, but I have trouble listening to it for extended periods of time, and more than a few HFers have mentioned that I listen to music at a low volume. The majority of audiophiles I've met who have spent a good amount of time with the 009 don't seem to have sensitivity issues, though, so who knows.

I'm glad that many have found their headphone nirvana at the BHSE+009, though. It's a nice feeling to stop chasing the dragon. I'll have to try a 507 out someday if I ever run across one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back