Head-Fi: Vitality sapped, or just Summer Slow?
Jul 29, 2004 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

KYTGuy

1000+ Head-Fier
I am concerned that the vitality of the discussions, and their number seem down to me...

Is it just a normal slowdown due to Summer? Or is there some reason it seems less vibrant than a few months ago?

Jul 29, 2004 at 3:59 PM Post #2 of 47
am I the only one that thinks that this might not be a bad thing? for a while there so many posts were coming through that you had to check head-fi 5 times a day just to keep current... I kind of like this recent slowdown
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2004 at 4:40 PM Post #3 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by KYTGuy
I am concerned that the vitality of the discussions, and their number seem down to me...

Is it just a normal slowdown due to Summer? Or is there some reason it seems less vibrant than a few months ago?

I can't comment on your perception of the quality of the discussions, but, as far as activity goes, it has been pretty good for summer.

Looking at the last few days, our daily post counts were 1261, 1627, 1408, and those are quite high for summer post counts here. Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
am I the only one that thinks that this might not be a bad thing? for a while there so many posts were coming through that you had to check head-fi 5 times a day just to keep current... I kind of like this recent slowdown
smily_headphones1.gif

Regarding posts being pushed off of pages: when we did the hardware upgrade, we increased the thread-per-page, post-per-page, search-results-per-page, and private-messages-per-page -- so the overall effect would be the feeling that you have to go through fewer pages than before the hardware upgrade for the same amount of threads, posts, search results and private messages.

Jul 29, 2004 at 4:41 PM Post #4 of 47
There will come a point when there's not much left to discuss on the subject of headphones, amps, sources etc. as most of it has been covered.

It could just be that saturation point is getting closer. With such an enormous database, covering almost every conceivable topic relating to headphones, people may be searching the database instead of posting a question.

This makes sense as there were a lot more posts when the search engine was down a few weeks ago.

Mike.

Jul 29, 2004 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 47
I think if it weren't for the newbs asking for advice, some of use wouldn't be posting as much.
cool.gif

Jul 29, 2004 at 4:59 PM Post #6 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
....It could just be that saturation point is getting closer. With such an enormous database, covering almost every conceivable topic relating to headphones....

Man, if coverage of almost every conceivable topic related to a hobby is the saturation point, then that point was reach long ago on most forums for most hobbies.
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
....This makes sense as there were a lot more posts when the search engine was down a few weeks ago....

Actually, I'm not sure why this is being perceived, as post counts since June 1st would be more accurately described as stable but steadily increasing -- if I get a chance later, I'll post a graph of the post counts since June 1, 2004.

b.gif

Jul 29, 2004 at 5:14 PM Post #7 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
Man, if coverage of almost every conceivable topic related to a hobby is the saturation point, then that point was reach long ago on most forums for most hobbies.

True enough

Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
if I get a chance later, I'll post a graph of the post counts since June 1, 2004.

I love it when you talk dirty
wink.gif

Jul 29, 2004 at 5:55 PM Post #8 of 47
The only thing I have noticed is the slowdown in TIO. This is a good thing, people are more civil to each other; all is right with the world.

Jul 29, 2004 at 6:06 PM Post #9 of 47
Could it be quality vs. quantity. There seems to be an awful lot of repetitive posts asking the same questions or saying the same things lately. For instance how many DT531 threads have there been lately?

I've also noticed quite a few silly topics lately, like "Which piece of audio gear do you use the most?" Hmmm, lets see, I have a pair of headphones, a headphone amp and a source. Which do I use the most??? The headphone amp, yeah that's it! Cause I just looove to sit and stare at the wonderful glow of tubes.
rolleyes.gif
How the heck would you use a headphone amp more than any other piece?
confused.gif
confused.gif

Sorry, just a little rant.
tongue.gif

Maybe it's just me and because I'm more settled with my system I'm finding that even though I try to read/browse alot of the topics many don't interest me as much as they used to.

Jul 29, 2004 at 6:19 PM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
Could it be quality vs. quantity. There seems to be an awful lot of repetitive posts asking the same questions or saying the same things lately.

I've also noticed quite a few silly topics lately, like "Which piece of audio gear do you use the most?"

I'm with you on this one. How many threads do we need on Ramen Noodles?
rolleyes.gif

Jul 29, 2004 at 6:28 PM Post #11 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceman
I'm with you on this one. How many threads do we need on Ramen Noodles?
rolleyes.gif

a million? At least that's what they think anyway.

The slowdown is that there are too many boring threads, LOL!

I spend my time at the music forum and here.

Quote:

I've also noticed quite a few silly topics lately, like "Which piece of audio gear do you use the most?" Hmmm, lets see, I have a pair of headphones, a headphone amp and a source. Which do I use the most??? The headphone amp, yeah that's it! Cause I just looove to sit and stare at the wonderful glow of tubes. How the heck would you use a headphone amp more than any other piece?

I have seen worst polls, like the infamous toast poll
blink.gif

Jul 29, 2004 at 6:34 PM Post #12 of 47
I don't post much in general, but I hardly post at all these days outside of members lounge and meeting threads. Here's why. If I'm not planning on buying new gear, I don't need to read a ton of threads for research or post with a bunch of questions. I'm not the buying-frenzy type, so it'll be a while before I pick up anything else. I can't really post helpful info unless it's on the gear I own. What I own happens to be either common enough that two dozen other people have it and already posted, or uncommon/old enough that nobody else wants it or wants to know about it
smily_headphones1.gif

FWIW, this is the same reason I won't be a contributing member. While I think it's a good idea, I don't personally get enough use out of the site to make contributing worthwhile. I could very easily leave and not come back until I need advice on my next purchase. But I understand that Head-Fi needs money to still BE here whenever I'd come back, so I'm glad that some of the more active members have chosen to contribute.

Jul 29, 2004 at 8:33 PM Post #13 of 47
my friend pointed out that the best thing about this hobby is that there is no definitive answer on what is the "best." even when you reach the end-game, there is something out there that may not be "better" but at least different. plus, that all lends to lively discussions on what is the best.

There is a reason why I haven't seen the Definitive List of Headphones, amps, sources etc ranked in order of greatness. Because there isn't one. If there was, we'd all sell our worldy possessions, get the consensus best of everything, then sit in our forclosed shelters and listen all day and not post anymore except to say *are you enjoying this? yep i am too!*

so head-fi will always have something to talk about, educate, debate etc. and just wait until there is a technological breakthough (and no it isn't those Bose Noise Cancellation cans) to bring a new crop of gear to the fray.

Jul 29, 2004 at 8:43 PM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
my friend pointed out that the best thing about this hobby is that there is no definitive answer on what is the "best." even when you reach the end-game, there is something out there that may not be "better" but at least different. plus, that all lends to lively discussions on what is the best.

There is a reason why I haven't seen the Definitive List of Headphones, amps, sources etc ranked in order of greatness. Because there isn't one. If there was, we'd all sell our worldy possessions, get the consensus best of everything, then sit in our forclosed shelters and listen all day and not post anymore except to say *are you enjoying this? yep i am too!*

so head-fi will always have something to talk about, educate, debate etc. and just wait until there is a technological breakthough (and no it isn't those Bose Noise Cancellation cans) to bring a new crop of gear to the fray.

Word! great post and so true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back