Head-Fi: Vitality sapped, or just Summer Slow?
Jul 29, 2004 at 10:31 PM Post #16 of 47
Do people seem grumpier than usual this summer? More contentious? And I'm not talking about recent arrivals. Like the mood has darkened.

Just curious.

BW

Jul 29, 2004 at 11:05 PM Post #19 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ward
Do people seem grumpier than usual this summer? More contentious? And I'm not talking about recent arrivals. Like the mood has darkened.

k1000smile.gif
eggosmile.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
What are you talking about?
tongue.gif
600smile.gif
icon10.gif

Jul 30, 2004 at 1:27 AM Post #21 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
What the hell is that suppose to mean?

wink.gif

No, it isn't just you. These things go in cycles, and it's always a concern when you seem to be one of the few people who seems to care when things take a downturn. The downturn isn't caused by any one person or any one issue. It's just a group of users with one kind of ethic versus users of another ethic.

What I mean is the strong tendency I've noticed for the more vocal posters to be the types to wage holy wars over products they have never seen or heard, and seemingly to consider this perfectly acceptable behavior. Then you have have the friendly types who post lightheartedly and try to be clear and honest, but at the same time.. come on! It's a discussion forum!
smily_headphones1.gif
Then you have the hardcore audiophiles who believe that you should not have the right to say anything unless you have spent a minimum of 10k on your equipment.

It goes in cycles, sometimes the trollers are loudest (I call the warrior/fanboy types trolls, sorry if this insults anybody), and they are the first visible sign to us normal users that a site is growing, because as a site grows, it attracts more of these types. Then to counteract this, eventually the hardcore audiophiles will shout them down, then the moderate types will say "Hey everyone, relax!" Sometimes this cycle can take a year or so. But I've never timed it. I've just noticed it on many sites, and this is one of 'em.

IMHO, YMMV, etc..
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 30, 2004 at 1:35 AM Post #22 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ward

Just curious.

BW

No way! I graduated with my BA and got a full time job in the publishing biz with full benefits package. I'm happy.
icon10.gif

Jul 30, 2004 at 3:33 AM Post #24 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Well, there apparently is such a thing as being too light-hearted.
rolleyes.gif

-Ed

Well there is nothing wrong with being too light-hearted!
There is however something very wrong with being a mindless inane spammer with nothing better to do. No one has a problem with the 1st type, but most are annoyed by the 2nd type.

Jul 30, 2004 at 3:47 AM Post #25 of 47
"Well, there apparently is such a thing as being too light-hearted."

He meant light-headed.

It can't be too slow:
"Most users ever online was 429, Today at 01:18 PM."

Mitch

Jul 30, 2004 at 4:45 AM Post #26 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceman
I'm with you on this one. How many threads do we need on Ramen Noodles?
rolleyes.gif

Well, that depends on how much stuff we all keep buying. Based on prices of better headphone audio gear, only the truly wealthy amongst us may be able to continue to avoid the ramen diet!
wink.gif

JC

Jul 30, 2004 at 5:47 AM Post #27 of 47
Well, summer isn't a buying season, so we don't have the classic in-flow of newbies, but I think we just haven't gotten as many new users as before. I noticed that during/after the swap to the new vBulliten some users decided not to come on anymore, we lost some there. I think it's just a phase, although there are less and less threads I'm interested in...I think I've sopped up just about enough info to not need to come here.

Jul 30, 2004 at 6:33 AM Post #28 of 47
i think DIY needs to diversify to more talk about equipment other then amps and cables

there isn't much focus on DACs, Power Supplys and maybe even other auDIYo tweaks

i think the music forum always offers something interesting......

i think it would be cool if somebody went through and put together maybe a Head-fi Genre Guide...... where you click on a genre and get all the info on that genre

basically a consolidation of all the good info out there......i know sometimes it is in the stickies, but maybe there should be a "library" area

maybe people could put together some FAQs like a complete source faq....

most of the stickies give you general sources but you see a lot of threads on "where do i find knobs" or where do i get enclosures or jacks etc....... basically a categorization of the sources by part type

Users who are viewing this thread

Back