Head-fi - the move and the progress?
May 4, 2004 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
Who else is getting extremely frustrated with the fact that the search is sometimes there, sometimes not, that the forums lock up all the time, that half the time you can't even get into head-fi because there is an "error in the database" and the fact that if you go to head-fi.org's main page, the Gear For Sale forum is really just headphones for sale -- meaning if you post something there that isn't headphones, it gets moved to the appropriate FS: forum, but there's no way of telling from head-fi's main page that these other For Sale forums even exist unless you click on "head-fi forums"-- which means ALOT of people will never even find your For Sale post unless it is for a pair of headphones.

This process has been going on for weeks on end-- is there any relief in sight? It's just frustrating that the single best source for firsthand audio advice on headphones, portables, sources, cables-- basically everything audio, has been reduced to a non-searchable website that's only running 50-75% of the time, where you can only post new questions and not be able to search anything, and the second that the "search" function comes up, it's down again.

Do we have an ETA on when the move will be finished? And why is it that you have to click on "head-fi forums: click on this link if you're not auto-logged into the forums" in order to be able to get to the other For Sale boards?

May 4, 2004 at 6:27 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
Who else is getting extremely frustrated with the fact that the search is sometimes there, sometimes not, that the forums lock up all the time, that half the time you can't even get into head-fi because there is an "error in the database" and the fact that if you go to head-fi.org's main page, the Gear For Sale forum is really just headphones for sale -- meaning if you post something there that isn't headphones, it gets moved to the appropriate FS: forum, but there's no way of telling from head-fi's main page that these other For Sale forums even exist unless you click on "head-fi forums"-- which means ALOT of people will never even find your For Sale post unless it is for a pair of headphones.

This process has been going on for weeks on end-- is there any relief in sight? It's just frustrating that the single best source for firsthand audio advice on headphones, portables, sources, cables-- basically everything audio, has been reduced to a non-searchable website that's only running 50-75% of the time, where you can only post new questions and not be able to search anything, and the second that the "search" function comes up, it's down again.

Do we have an ETA on when the move will be finished? And why is it that you have to click on "head-fi forums: click on this link if you're not auto-logged into the forums" in order to be able to get to the other For Sale boards?

Head-Fi is obviously undergoing a revamp and considering there are 11,517 members, 68,121 threads, 783,354 posts and a search engine with an enormous database I think it's incredible how "little" outage there has been.

It's easy to criticize but you have to remember there are a couple of people who keep this site going and that takes a helluva lot of work considering the size of it.

Things are getting better by the day and I trust Jude and Ian will get the site back to normal shortly..... what we're experiencing at the moment are "teething problems" and each issue that appears is being addressed though it may take some time to address "every" issue to everyones satisfaction....... I may stand alone on this but I think the guys who are at the backbone of Head-Fi are doing a very good job indeed.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

May 4, 2004 at 6:42 PM Post #6 of 18
Jude, a harty congratulations, hope all goes well.
smily_headphones1.gif

The heir apparent to Head-fi is on the way.
biggrin.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
appar111,

My wife and I are going to have our first kid any day now -- we're two days past the due date.

Trust me when I say that I'm just happy right now if the site is running, period.

I'll get to the move when I can. It ain't now.

May 4, 2004 at 6:45 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
You can always ask for a refund.

Failing that you could take legal action and sue on the grounds that Head-Fi did not live up to it's "always on" guarantee and, as a consequence, you have suffered undue stress as you were unable to access the latest developments on the HD600 V HD650 debate which contravenes the European commissions directive on "access to information" and deprives you of your right to information.

I'd go for a refund
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2004 at 6:47 PM Post #8 of 18
Wow, I wonder if Zanth and jude will have their kids on the same day
biggrin.gif
That would be sorta cool. Congratulations, jude!

And yeah...I'm none to happy about the for sale forum split but...about the outages/search/everything else, even though I'm frustrated too, seeing as b*tching doesn't help anything, I'm just waiting for when Head-Fi will be fully functional again. Hopefully soon. Patience is a virtue
tongue.gif
Be understanding. I don't think we should all jump down appar's throat though. This thread's a tad inconsiderate but sometimes you just need to vent
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2004 at 6:49 PM Post #9 of 18
congrats Jude!

man, people sure do bitch here alot.

you give people free things, they bitch.
you charge them, they bitch.

when the server is down, i don't cry, sometimes i even venture away from the computer... try it, you'll like it! or your money back!

May 4, 2004 at 6:59 PM Post #10 of 18
Jude-
First off-- congratulations on the baby on the way!

Second of all, to fyrfytrhoges-- f' off... I didn't say that running a site was easy, I was just saying that I wish things would iron out soon.

I understand that there's alot going on, and I agree PinkFloyd, that it is a hearty undertaking making sure that the site keeps up and running, especially given what it's grown into. I'm not criticizing, but just trying to voice my anxiousness for things to get back to being smoother.

As far as the refund-- very funny JMT and PinkFloyd
280smile.gif

I guess it just goes to show how easily it is to get spoiled by a good thing when it's so readily available, and has been as easy to use and take part in as it has been.

Jude, I meant in no way to imply that you're not working on this, or that your work in keeping head-fi running, even through these teething pains, is unappreciated.

Rizumu- thanks for sticking up for me. I don't consider it "bitching" as sleepkyng said, but it IS the general discussion forum, and I thought it would be ok to state my feelings on things... and I doubt I'm the only one wishing that the move would work itself out soon.

So Sleepkyng, why don't you quit bitching about my "bitching"? I'm not "crying" about the server being down, I'm just expressing my opinion. Or is that not allowed?

Anyhoo-- no offense Jude. I'm sure you are already on pins and needles, and in my haste to post and vent, I feel I may have given the wrong impression. I gotta agree-- with a new baby on the way, you've got more pressing matters to deal with.

May 4, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
appar111,

My wife and I are going to have our first kid any day now -- we're two days past the due date.

Congratulations Jude!!!! On learning this great news I came up with this: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=71523 I hope you don't think this is tacky and trust it will develop into another reference point (like a book of names) you can consider.

Regards to Mrs Jude and keep us all posted!

All the best.

Mike.

May 4, 2004 at 7:25 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Jude-
First off-- congratulations on the baby on the way!

Second of all, to fyrfytrhoges-- f' off... I didn't say that running a site was easy, I was just saying that I wish things would iron out soon.

I understand that there's alot going on, and I agree PinkFloyd, that it is a hearty undertaking making sure that the site keeps up and running, especially given what it's grown into. I'm not criticizing, but just trying to voice my anxiousness for things to get back to being smoother.

As far as the refund-- very funny JMT and PinkFloyd
280smile.gif

I guess it just goes to show how easily it is to get spoiled by a good thing when it's so readily available, and has been as easy to use and take part in as it has been.

Jude, I meant in no way to imply that you're not working on this, or that your work in keeping head-fi running, even through these teething pains, is unappreciated.

Rizumu- thanks for sticking up for me. I don't consider it "bitching" as sleepkyng said, but it IS the general discussion forum, and I thought it would be ok to state my feelings on things... and I doubt I'm the only one wishing that the move would work itself out soon.

So Sleepkyng, why don't you quit bitching about my "bitching"? I'm not "crying" about the server being down, I'm just expressing my opinion. Or is that not allowed?

Anyhoo-- no offense Jude. I'm sure you are already on pins and needles, and in my haste to post and vent, I feel I may have given the wrong impression. I gotta agree-- with a new baby on the way, you've got more pressing matters to deal with.

It's cool appar111.... I agree with what you said 100% but it's sometimes hard to remember that a human being is behind the scenes and to think that Head-fi runs itself...... when you realise that it's basically a one man band that's running the show at his own expense it's not prudent to point out shortcomings and best to go with the flow until things are back on track.... better still, offer to lend a hand either with constructive criticism or hands on work.

Constructive criticism is valuable as it gives the webmaster perspective from a users point of view and helps to make a site better....... just go with the flow for a few more weeks and I'm certain that Head-Fi will be better than ever :)

Everyone feels your frustration but it's something we have to live with until The site is optimised.

All the best.

Mike.

May 4, 2004 at 7:31 PM Post #13 of 18
PinkFloyd-
You hit the nail on the head... it's forgetting that there's a person behind this all, doing this work for us for free. Constructive criticism is good-- venting doesn't help anyone.

Again, my apologies to Jude for my initial comments. I will sit tight and wait for the new head-fi...

thanks for being cool,

May 4, 2004 at 7:53 PM Post #14 of 18
thank you i will f off, when i find out what it means, im sure its not what i think it means because im sure you wouldn't have the balls to say that to my face ya little whiner.

May 4, 2004 at 7:58 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

PinkFloyd-
You hit the nail on the head... it's forgetting that there's a person behind this all, doing this work for us for free. Constructive criticism is good-- venting doesn't help anyone.

Again, my apologies to Jude for my initial comments. I will sit tight and wait for the new head-fi...

thanks for being cool,

I'm a pastmaster at "venting off" at a keyboard thinking I was typing to a faceless cyberbot (especially when I was drunk) and waking up in the morning to read my posts and thinking "I didn't write that!" and regretting what I said after realising my comments were being read by "real" people.

You've got no need to apologise to anybody appar111 you've just got to understand that there are human beings running this place and they are doing their best given the circumstances. what's the weather like where you are? It's pretty fair over in Scotland..... 45F at the moment (9pm) see....... I'm real
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back