Head-fi reference table of amps
Jan 30, 2002 at 7:19 PM Post #16 of 31
Could someone post pics of the MG Head OTL?
Also, Kelly was telling me that instead of the gain switch, it was the feedback switch and two headphone jacks for different ohms, can someone clarify this?
I tried the tweak on my DT and didn't like the effect. Perhaps the factory made version would be much better? I plan on getting one just out of curiosity, besides, I need covers, and I'm sure I'll have no problem selling the DT.

Jan 30, 2002 at 7:46 PM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
the problem with a list compared to a discussion is that there is no correction or clarification. It would be almost like oh, B sounds better than A and that's that. I dont think its so simple, amps like its partner the headphone each has its own distinctive taste and character.

and frankly it annoys the hell out of me to see that everything i could afford, be sub-par and ****ty!

The problem is, that's usually how the questions are phrased? "What's the best headphone for less than US$1000?" "What's the best bang-for-the-buck amp?"

The solution is, instead of answering these questions over and over again, we should keep a "frequently searched topics" area -- say, under search, with a list of the most common questions, and their respective threads.

Jan 30, 2002 at 7:53 PM Post #18 of 31
And putting the X-canv2 in the budget $200 bugs me, as the x-can can be upgraded with a $200 X-PSU and NOS tubes. That brings it into the $500 sector and the sound is far from the stock version. And you can upgrade the powercord too.

And after seeing the list of amps there is on offer, all I can say is there isn't much choice. Unlike HiFi amps for speakers, the list go on and on to the point where you can't say "For X speaker, you really need a amp like Y to drive them at their best" The best advice someone can get is "Be sure to audition", but in here it seems most people buy their stuff blind and only based on reviews and opinions. I am certain this is due to the fact that the choice are so limited and there is only so many combination you can do. And there is such a thing as a collection of headphones, I am I never seen a collection of speakers. You audition the best pair to go with a amp and CD player and then you stick with it. And when you haev more money, you upgrade. You don't side step and change the characteristic of the sound. You want better sound, not different. If you do indeed want different sound, then you haev bought the wrong speakers in the first audition.

I am babbling on a bit now so I'll shut up.

Jan 30, 2002 at 8:36 PM Post #19 of 31
Actually, I have a collection of speakers.
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2002 at 8:38 PM Post #20 of 31
Nick, I don't even agree with your example of "budget" and "mid" hierarchies
wink.gif
So obviously even coming to a "general" consensus is going to be difficult. I agree with Tomcat that this is far too complex of an issue to present in a summary table/page. People need to search the archives and get a range of opinions from different people.

Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
How about doing objective measurements, like frequency response when playing into x, y, and z ohms at W watts? Or measures of intermodulation distortion and such.

and
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
I agree that personal comments should be kept away from the reference table... only hard facts and measurable data should be kept there.

But all of those things you two mentioned are pretty much meaningless when it comes down to it. Maybe measures of power (for those people looking to drive K501 or K1000
wink.gif
), but distortion? Frequency response? How many people ask "which amp has the least measureable distortion?" People want to know which amps *sound* good and which mate well with various headphones -- those things will never be mentioned in the specs.

I'm also with Braver on the ratings issue. Far too subjective, and dependent more on who has actually purchased a particular amp than on what the review would be if everyone had a chance to audition it.

Even chadbang's suggestion, above, about an X-CANv2 poll, is a bad idea, IMO (no offense, chadbang
smily_headphones1.gif
). Mainly because amps are just like any other audio component -- regardless of how "good" an amp is, it may sound bad with certain equipment, and vice versa. If someone were to ask me if the Max is a good amp, I wouldn't hesitate to say it's amazing. But if they were to ask me if the X-CANv2 is a good amp, I'd have to say "It depends, you really should audition it with your equipment."

IMO (<-- key phrase), what would be useful would be an amp table that listed:

Picture of amp
Amp model
Amp name
In production? (yes/no)
Solid state/tube
Crossfeed? (yes/no)
Portable? (yes/no)
Power supply (batteries/AC)
Number of headphone jacks
Jack impedance (per jack, if more than one)
Jack output (per jack, if more than one)
Jack type (mini, 1/4")
Inputs (line, multiple, etc.)
Outputs (line, pre-amp, etc.)
Possible upgrades (tubes, power supply, electronics, etc.)
List price
Current "street" price
Size
Weight

It would be exceptional if the user could also click on one of the categories to sort by that category (to see amps by price, by portable, etc.)

Jan 30, 2002 at 10:41 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

And putting the X-canv2 in the budget $200 bugs me, as the x-can can be upgraded with a
$200 X-PSU and NOS tubes. That brings it into the $500 sector and the sound is far from the
stock version. And you can upgrade the powercord too.

Sure, and you can upgrade it further by getting some $300 NOS ultra rare special ultra awesome tubes, some $3000 power cords, and a custom made $5000 power supply. That'd take it out of the budget sector for sure, not to mention the mid-range.

Jan 31, 2002 at 12:50 AM Post #23 of 31
If the table was published, it might not be a bad idea to include a list of Head-Fi members who own each amp (and were willing to be listed) and who might answer questions about said amps...

Jan 31, 2002 at 1:23 AM Post #24 of 31
The lack of a database of gathered information on Head-Fi is a glaring omission. Newbies might not always use it (a database)before posting anyway, but not having one because of potential newbie behavior is defeatist and lazy. Hell, you could even say such a database was created for the long time members-- as a way of using their input and experience! I can tell you that if Head-Fi got twice as many new members as it has now (which would be great BTW) the older members would be adrift in the sea of requests for 'ancient' information.

A reference table-or-database is not there to answer every and all questions! Its not there to discourage people from asking forum members to clarify an issue or whatever.. in fact, the value is that it says 'this is who we are and what we have learned and what we know about, as a group of enthusiasts, at the moment.' What the hell is so controversial about that! Are we just jabbering without effect into cyberspace, or are we accomplishing something useful for (future) others?

If worse gets to fricken worse, how about a thread topic link guide? I dont know.. but there seems to be a decision in Head-Fi management not to embrace any kind of static information, and it sticks out like a sore thumb. New headphones, significant ones, do not get introduced by the dozens every year. I'm sure relevant information about the HD600 and the CD3000 will be as valid and as valuable 6 months or a year from now as it is today. Its not like a reference guide is obsolete the week after its created.

I was webmaster/creator of the largest TOCA2 website on the internet (Touring Car racing game from England) and I know that strong content helps make for a strong website. Its not necessary to have a dozen amp schematics! Heck, just some simple guides would be fine for a start.

IMO-- no offense intended.

Jan 31, 2002 at 1:39 PM Post #26 of 31
In that vein, I think it is important to remember that jude and neil are responsible for making all this, and it sounds like a lot of work. It is great for me to say "oh Head-fi needs a comprehensive searchable database of the specs and pics of every significant headphone and amp on the market". Well yes, this would be wonderful, but from what I gather this is primarily a labor of love, not something that is bringing in the megabucks. I agree that something like this would be nice, but we should be patient about it happening (not to say people are being impatient, I just thought I would toss that out there).

edit: Just read the last two lines of mrael's post. Oops. Well, I agree with what he said. simple first.

Jan 31, 2002 at 4:38 PM Post #27 of 31
Why toss this in Jude's lap? He's got enough to do.

How about starting a thread in the amps forum? Call it something like "amp guide". Posters could then add a brief summary of amps that they own, without subjective content. Information included could include:

Name of amp. various versions. basic description. retail price. street price. link to manufacturer. links to key discussion threads (where subjective impressions can be found).

If we stick to something simple, like above, that thread could become the guide we are talking about.

Jan 31, 2002 at 9:41 PM Post #29 of 31
MacDEF,

I like your format for the amp guide. A thought just occurred to me though. We are a headphone site, after all. Wouldn't a similar guide be useful for cans?
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, I think the amp guide should be a sticky thread that stays at the top.

Jan 31, 2002 at 9:43 PM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
MacDEF,

I like your format for the amp guide. A thought just occurred to me though. We are a headphone site, after all. Wouldn't a similar guide be useful for cans?
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, I think the amp guide should be a sticky thread that stays at the top.

Agreed! Also on the amp guide we should put in a section for miscellaneous. For example my MID has a power amp section for speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back