Head-Fi pet hate
Nov 18, 2002 at 2:37 PM Post #91 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
SumB
Do you feel this is usually so deliberate? Sticking with the W2002 thing, you have MRael who obviously at one time was very much believing his own hype. It wasn't until later when he heard the HP-1000 and Stax (both of which I also like better) that he maybe became exposed to a new perspective and sold his W2002. Obviously MRael and I disagreed on the specific merits of the W2002, but I don't have any reason to think he had malicious intent.

I hope not. I'd like to think the Headwize/Headfi community holds itself to a higher moral standard than the majority of the web. People do make mistakes, and I honestly believe they do get caught up in the moment and make short-sighted and at times irresponsible remarks they otherwise wouldn't with the sometimes profound excitement a new toy brings.

But you've got to draw the line somewhere. Say a person posts a self written rave review a few days prior to putting the product for sale - or worse, someone who extols the virtues of a piece of gear and proceeds to pick it apart after it changes hands - people like this are primarily who my statement addresses, along with the repeat offenders and snakes.

Only MRael knows why he did what he did, but profit certainly wasn't a motivation. More likely, he did this community a great service opening its eyes to a wonderful new product, and learned a great deal along the way.

Nov 18, 2002 at 3:12 PM Post #92 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
AR/AR - set your profile to show threads from last 10 days?

Yeah, but usually a list that long is over two pages and I find something to read on the first page. I guess its mainly due to the fact that I tend to get stuck in a forum and ignore the others - I think I've only posted once in the Headphone forum in the past 4 months.

Nov 18, 2002 at 3:44 PM Post #93 of 101
Thread crapping designed and intended to close a thread at odds with the crapper's personal political beliefs (IE hateful, profane, irrational responses to humorous threads).
biggrin.gif

Nov 18, 2002 at 10:46 PM Post #94 of 101
AR/AR, you say, "I think I've only posted once in the Headphone forum in the past 4 months." you'll never beat user Jamont, thread 19913. 1 post. Hasn't been heard from since. Talk about a smart shopper! he's now my hero.

Kelly, as far as reviews, i'm trying to overcome the very shortcomings you state. you may, or may not know, that i'm looking for volunteers to review my AT AD10's. Greg Freeman is presently auditioning them and will hopefully have a review within a week. I intend to then have someone else audition them for a week, and have him report his findings in the same thread that greG starts. i'd like to find two more volunteers. this review by consensus should provide a more balanced criteque, and hopefully will be a model for the head-fi community. i'd definitely like to see a 5 man team review of the w1000's when they come out. heck, i'd love to see a booth set up in the next head-fi get together (i haven't been to one yet) where a 5 man team compares / reviews / auditions equipment and then have their findings posted. imagine, 5 guys locked up in a room for 8 hours. nothing but music and pencil and paper. the minutes would then be collected and posted, here.

Nov 19, 2002 at 6:37 AM Post #95 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
AR/AR, you say, "I think I've only posted once in the Headphone forum in the past 4 months." you'll never beat user Jamont, thread 19913. 1 post. Hasn't been heard from since. Talk about a smart shopper! he's now my hero.

Man, talk about self-control!! Most seem to hang around spending more and more money instead of taking this guys advice and flee for the hills!!!

He should get some kind of free HEad-Fi: I survived! t-shirt or mug at the very least for this inhuman feat!!!

Nov 20, 2002 at 2:20 AM Post #97 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio Redneck
Serving,
I think you may be ready for this thread:

Audiophiles Anonymous

biggrin.gif

Thanks AR!!! I'm thinking of starting a AA, Audiophiles Anonymous, here in CA while I'm in the states. We'll sit around and listen to really old, bad sounding equipment for a couple of hours a week so that we go home and love our stuff and don't listen to all the hype about the latest thingamajig talked about here!!!

Nov 20, 2002 at 7:57 PM Post #98 of 101
Just make sure you have plenty of bad coffee that requires 3 packs of sugar and creamer to be drinkable and hard metal folding chairs.
wink.gif

Nov 20, 2002 at 10:40 PM Post #100 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
I don't hate anyone or anything here

Being occasionally irritated with someone's online comments and hating the person are hopefully not synonymous. I don't hate anyone I only know online and hope no one else does either. (Come to think of it, I don't hate anyone I know in person either... but there's more potential there.)

Nov 20, 2002 at 11:27 PM Post #101 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Being occasionally irritated with someone's online comments and hating the person are hopefully not synonymous. I don't hate anyone I only know online and hope no one else does either. (Come to think of it, I don't hate anyone I know in person either... but there's more potential there.)

Exactly so. Life's too short to carry around a lot of emotional baggage, particularly about things that happen on the internet where it's so easy to miscommunicate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back