Head-Fi pet hate
Nov 15, 2002 at 8:42 PM Post #61 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by elnero
Hmmmmmm, seems to me a Cmoy was a proper amp and D25S or at least a home DVD/CD player were Ok sources up until I didn't like the character of the 580's. At least that's what most people without kelly's lofty expectations seemed to think.

But I digress maybe I should no longer post here due to the fact that I may upset the headphone gurus and question there infalliable wisdom.

The cheapest amp you can build and a 1980s portable CD player are good enough to judge a $450 headphone with? And this makes sense to you?

Maybe you should put your ego down long enough to learn something. You didn't have to be some kind of elitist guru or wealthy aristocrat to hear the Meridian 588 and BlockHead playing 1812 Overture at the World of Headphones tour.

Nov 15, 2002 at 8:58 PM Post #62 of 101
Quote:

Hmmmmmm, seems to me a Cmoy was a proper amp and D25S or at least a home DVD/CD player were Ok sources up until I didn't like the character of the 580's. At least that's what most people without kelly's lofty expectations seemed to think.

But I digress maybe I should no longer post here due to the fact that I may upset the headphone gurus and question there infalliable wisdom.

Oh c'mon. I've used the 580's with a cmoy and 25S...i hated the sound, is it the headphones fault? Heck no. I'm using a bargain amp and a discman that sounded very metallic. I've since replaced the 25S with the D33 and i'm enjoying what i hear again.

Also, don't forget that some people have different tastes, some like the laidback nature of the Sennheisers, some don't. I personally have been using my Beyer 770's more than any other headphone...oops...i think i just thread crapped! Shoot me now!

Oh...I hate when people post how to burn in their headphones...just listen to them dammit.

Nov 15, 2002 at 9:02 PM Post #63 of 101
My god, I used to have some respect for you kelly but now, not an ounce. And yes I know you don't really care.

Look who's talking ego's! Maybe you should put yours aside for awhile and realize that everyone is entitled to an opinion not just you. If the WOH tour had ever decided to come to PEI then maybe I might have had a listen. Otherwise I had to use my experience with likes of Audio Research, Wilson Audio, Castle, Swan's, Cary, Boulder, Jeff Rowland, Theta, Quad, Martin Logan, Caztech, California Audio Labs, Totem, Densen, classe, etc...

Nov 15, 2002 at 9:07 PM Post #64 of 101
Quote:

My god, I used to have some respect for you kelly but now, not an ounce. And yes I know you don't really care.

Look who's talking ego's! Maybe you should put yours aside for awhile and realize that everyone is entitled to an opinion not just you. If the WOH tour had ever decided to come to PEI then maybe I might have had a listen. Otherwise I had to use my experience with likes of Audio Research, Wilson Audio, Castle, Swan's, Cary, Boulder, Jeff Rowland, Theta, Quad, Martin Logan, Caztech, California Audio Labs, Totem, Densen, classe, etc...

elnero
No, I don't believe you actually did at one point had respect for me. But I'd rather discuss the headphones than your personal issues.

I'm not sure what your equipment list was supposed to be but as far as I know most of them don't make headphone amps and only a couple make CD players. Maybe you lost track of what we were talking about -- we were talking about the Sennheiser HD600 headphone. I'm suggesting that you don't really know what the personality of the headphone is if you've never heard it on a good headphone amplifier and source. You take this as a personal attack but it isn't intended as one.

Nov 15, 2002 at 9:17 PM Post #65 of 101
Yeah kelly, you start talking about egos and it's not personal, your such an ass.

FWIW, the list of equipment is stuff that I've had experience with and based on that experience I've got a pretty good idea of what stuff should sound like and will sound like in certain conditions. I made an educated guess that it wasn't going to be worth my time to continue with the 580's. It's you that has issues because you can't get over the idea that somebody might judge a component with anything less than reference equipment.

Nov 15, 2002 at 9:23 PM Post #66 of 101
elnero
I never questioned or intended to question your experience or points of reference with regard to speakers and power amps. I just don't see how it relates to the HD580. You don't have experience with the HD580 in better amps and sources. Many people here do. Most of them agree the HD580 improves with a better source and a better amp. Nothing else is implied here.

The reason I made the comment about ego is because you seemed to be taking a discussion about audio equipment personally.

Nov 15, 2002 at 9:29 PM Post #67 of 101
You've heard them on a cheap amp and a old CD player. How would you know the "character" of them without hearing it with good amplification and an even better source? Headphones can COMPLETELY change with a good amp, break in, different cables, etc. None of which you have tried. Therefore, you really don't know the personality of them.

I agree...I don't care if you're saying "I like the HD600's, they sound really good." But if you start talking about "the highs are so good, the midrange is so lush, and the bass is very deep and full sounding" you should probably shut up unless you've heard this on a few decent amps, different sources, etc. Somebody else is going to come along and read "Oh, these headphones are perfect!"...I wouldn't want to give the wrong impression to a random newbie reader.

Its kind of like saying: This car is awesome. It drives so nice. Then, you try the car in some different conditions (rain, snow, highway, country roads, traffic) or maybe some different parts (exhaust or something) and it behaves like a completely different car. I mean, my car is great until it rains or snows and I can barely stay in my lane.

Nov 15, 2002 at 9:40 PM Post #68 of 101
My pet hate at Head-Fi is when the moderators have to lock a thread because people start making personal remarks and the thread degenerates into a useless flame fest.

Nov 15, 2002 at 9:53 PM Post #69 of 101
Well Hirsch you know what you won't have to worry about it because I give up. It's not worth arguing with these guys.

I thought this was a decent place where people had respect for each other and their opinions. Obviously not though when newbies are told that they shouldn't have an opinion and they should just shut the hell up. Well I'll shut up and not have an opinion anymore. I'm glad to see the true attitudes come out of the woodwork, I'll not bother again.

Nov 15, 2002 at 10:14 PM Post #70 of 101
head-fi bitch list:

people who haven't heard products but list sound characteristics as if they had.

that i can't have updates to threads i've participated in listed through "user cp" without getting email notifications (or can i and i'm just missing it?).

multiple posts on essentially the same topic going on at the same time.

the obsession with cables and the theories behind them: technical discussions are one of my favorite things here but christ, the road of most posts on this topic is bare from all the travel.

people who can't read. a lot of times i need to read a post several times to understand all the information presented before i can respond - i don't get why other people act like reading something more than once is a bad thing, and a lot of the arguments that arise are from people who think they read something but really didn't.

the misunderstandings between those who see hifi as a means to an end and those who see it as a hobby.

head-fi drama.

teams, including imaginary ones (there's a lot of people who seem to think since one person doesn't like something they have to say, other people won't like it too).

the 100 pm limit.

posters who play victim and/or king.

thats about it.

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 15, 2002 at 10:20 PM Post #71 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by carlo
posters who play victim and/or king.

smily_headphones1.gif

Good list carlo! I agree on this one especially. I really get annoyed when some dumbass aim's me to bitch about a post i made because they disagree with me, or they think i owe them something
rolleyes.gif

Ya know, the block feature in aim is a beautiful thing.

Nov 15, 2002 at 10:28 PM Post #72 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by carlo
that i can't have updates to threads i've participated in listed through "user cp" without getting email notifications (or can i and i'm just missing it?).

If, under options, you turn off "e-mail notification by default", you should be able to subscribe to theads without receiving emails.

Nov 15, 2002 at 11:14 PM Post #74 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by sacd lover
Well I love Head-Fi, but I hate it when all the posts are about products I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT.

confused.gif

Those are the BEST posts for me.

Nov 15, 2002 at 11:14 PM Post #75 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by sacd lover
Well I love Head-Fi, but I hate it when all the posts are about products I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT.

Start buying more stuff to keep up!!!!!!!
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back