Head-Fi pet hate
Nov 16, 2002 at 12:06 AM Post #76 of 101
Gotta add: People who post first impressions on new headphones before the headphone is even securely on their head, and people who pester a Headfier that just came home with a new product for impressions when it's plain they want to settle down with it first.

Nov 16, 2002 at 12:11 AM Post #77 of 101
Quote:

the 100 pm limit.

anyone who's tried to PM me lately probably hates almost as much as i do...

inbox is clear...for now

Nov 16, 2002 at 12:13 AM Post #78 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
Gotta add: People who post first impressions on new headphones before the headphone is even securely on their head, and people who pester a Headfier that just came home with a new product for impressions when it's plain they want to settle down with it first.

This isn't really a pet peeve for me but I feel bad about it. I'm somewhat vocal and opinionated which makes people all the more expectant but the truth is it can take a while for me to feel confident especially when I'm comparing relatively high end stuff. I have a long list of stuff I plan to type up reviews of when I have enough time to isolate their sounds, do some extensive comparisons and have something I feel is worth saying. My initial impressions are usually, "I like it" which isn't very useful.

So um, sorry to those of you who actually care what I have to say and are waiting on me.

Nov 16, 2002 at 12:44 AM Post #79 of 101
Oi, I think I need to add another one. The way anyone who Kelly gets into a tussle with manages to look like they're in the wrong, and Kelly manages to come out looking sane... Coincidence?
rolleyes.gif

Nov 16, 2002 at 12:55 AM Post #80 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
Oi, I think I need to add another one. The way anyone who Kelly gets into a tussle with manages to look like they're in the wrong, and Kelly manages to come out looking sane... Coincidence?
rolleyes.gif

eric
I'm beginning to think maybe we should talk about whatever issues you've got with me private. Do you still have me on an IM?

I didn't think elnero was being rational at the time and I hope he'll rethink and stick around Head-Fi. We disagree about the importance of source and amp for determining the personality of a headphone and that's all the disagreement should have been. I don't think this makes him insane or anything else--I just strive not to over-react because then I set off one of your other pet peeves. It actually seems like anything I post these days is setting off a pet peeve of yours so like I said, if you want to talk, IM or email would be preferable.

Nov 16, 2002 at 1:19 AM Post #83 of 101
Agreed.

For the record I don't have any problem with Kelly, I was just pointing out that he has a talent for making those that he argues with look bad to a degree; though I'm not sure if this is intentional. It IS a pet peeve with me though... (fyi, my above post was in reply to reading the kelly and elnero bit of sparring - I hadn't read to the bottom of the thread.)

Anything else, well, there's a "send me an email" link in my member profile.

Nov 16, 2002 at 1:25 AM Post #84 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
eric
I'm beginning to think maybe we should talk about whatever issues you've got with me private.

This would rank very high as a pet peeve: people who air their disagreements in teh public forum when almost all of us can be reached via PM or email. It really gets tiring to read a great thread review of a product only to run into pages of mud slinging. Happens far too often and detracts from an otherwise EXTREMELY enjoyable site!!! Thanks for all who post and give advice here!!!

Nov 16, 2002 at 1:50 AM Post #85 of 101
hirsch,

i tried that for a while, but i have to go and subscribe to the thread instead of having it done automatically (simply by posting, which happens with the email notification). thanks for the help though, its an annoyance and nothing more.

since there's tangents going on in this thread anyway - i get another shot with the r10/hp4 this weekend (courtesy of edwin, who's got to be the most referenced <100 poster, save for gilmore), excited to hear the combo for an extended audition.

carlo.

Nov 16, 2002 at 7:19 PM Post #86 of 101
Two came to mind:

1. When people quote themselves. It's got to be the height of arrogance.

2. Bragging. Even when people have some really good information or are really excited or proud of something, it really takes effort for me to get past the outright boastfulness of some posts.

Nov 16, 2002 at 8:26 PM Post #88 of 101
(This is my kind of thread. It's like that episode where Beavis is in the woods with a drum.... nevermind.)

Two more:

1. When people describe a component as "good", "bad', or "better" or some other equally meaningless and vague adjective. Why is it better? What do you like better about one than the other? Tonal accuracy, timbre, extension, pacing, what? I don't really mind that someone says he likes one thing better than something else, I just don't find it particularly useful when it comes in the form of advice or review for someone else. We simply don't all listen for the same things in the same order of importance.

2. (Very related to 1) When people say a certain component is good for a particular type of music. Maybe low frequencies aren't important to one person in classical but are to another? How can you presume to know what is important to someone based strictly on what genre they listen to? It assumes too much about the listener. Not everyone who listens to jazz is willing to sacrifice detail and focus for a smooth and relaxing sound. Why not just describe the sound and let the reader decide what kind of music he'd prefer those traits in?

Nov 16, 2002 at 9:24 PM Post #89 of 101
1. When I haven't visited a forum in a few days and I've miss a thread I would have really been interested in.

2. The distance from AR to most of the Get Togethers and the WOHT locations
frown.gif

I guess thats it.

Oh Wait.... one more:

3. Kelly: the member every Head-Fier loves to hate
wink.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back