Head-Fi Holiday Gift Exchange: Review your gifts!
Jan 22, 2002 at 7:01 AM Post #61 of 79
I hope not, because I am going to review your cd's now Huy...
Beth Orton's Central Reservation is a fantastic cd. I had not heard of Beth Orton before I got this cd, and now I listen to the cd several times a week. I told my best friend about it, and he said, oh yeah, she is really good...you have not heard her? Hmm. She has a wonderfully sincere voice. I think her greatest strength is her versatility, almost none of her songs sound similar, which is a rare talent. She can go from strong to sweet with equal facility. I like her when she is sweet though...you feel like you want to cuddle up next to her. I think I share my favorites with Huy...the second track, Sweetest Decline is my favorite along with the title track. I dislike none of the tracks, though I am not ecstatic about Devil Song. Hmmmm. Her style is folky with some hip-hop or electronica-type sounds thrown in. Rather fun. I would recommend this album to anyone. I am very happy with it.

The second CD was also a hit, though not as surprising for me. It is the CD single of the Emerson quartet's version of Shostakovich's 8th quartet. A fantastic piece, one of my favorites. It was actually the cornerstone of my undergraduate thesis, and I spent about ten pages on it, so instead of reviewing it in depth here, I will attach that section of my thesis, if anyone is interested...This particular recording is very good, though I must admit it is not my favorite. I love the Emerson quartet, they are fantastic musicians, and I have had the opportunity to listen to them and even meet them several times. All four musicians are brilliant performers. Their version of the eighth is fantastic, but not quite as good, in my opinion, as the Borodin quartet's version made behind the iron curtain during the Brezhnev era. The recording is relatively pristine, and the tension and simultaneous catharsis are palpable in the recording -- it sounds like they are afraid of being caught playing the music, which is exactly how it should be played. The Emerson recording has great virtuosity, but the parts are more defined -- the Borodin sounds like a wall of sound. When listening to this piece for my thesis, I listened to the Emerson to focus on individual instruments, and the Borodin to get a feel for the piece as a hole. I cherish both recordings of this intensely personal and tragic piece.
Thanks to Huy for choosing such incredible recordings, and making my month with his excellent letter -- such calligraphy as to make it a work of art itself. I am also excited to try and listen to the other recommendations in the letter, as I have not heard them either. Uh, fantastic.
P.S. sorry for taking so long to post, I just wanted to put some effort into it, as opposed to just saying, "great, thanks!"
All the best,
Stu

Jan 22, 2002 at 9:17 AM Post #62 of 79
I just realized I didn't review mine! Sorry, rickster
wink.gif

Also, gorgon PMd me and said he was going to put his up soon.

Jan 26, 2002 at 12:23 AM Post #63 of 79
JUST DON'T LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN MACSTER
mad.gif

Heheheh.Go easy on me man,soooo many choices and all scrapped for various reasons meant I had to find a happy medium.
Obscure to a point but not too friggin weird as to be headache material.Does have a strong voice on that recordind though
And strange as it may sound,he plays the guitar in a sitting position live.
And live is some of the best blues guitar/slide (whiskey neck) the rickmonster has heard in his life

Jan 30, 2002 at 7:58 PM Post #64 of 79
This past holiday season, as part of the head-fi music exchange I received two CDs from Macdef: Nick Drake's Bryter Layter and Van Morrison's Moondance. MacDef has been very patient in waiting for my comments. I've decided to share them with everyone, in the spirit of this being a message board and all. okay... take a deep breath, here we go:

1. Nick Drake - Bryter Layter

This is my favorite of the two CDs I got. It's amazing. I'm a huge fan of Belle and Sebastien and other "chamber-pop" bands of the late 90's and I think I struck paydirt with this album because it is the source of The Sound. Breathy vocals floating on top of acoustic arrangements singing sadboy lyrics. I eat it up every time. The quiet passion of Drake's vocals melt me.

In fact, I've since picked up his first album Five Leaves Left (which, though not as good, is still an aural treat).

2. Van Morrison - Moondance

I had heard of Van Morrrison before though I wouldn't have been able to name a single song of his. The first time I popped it in the first track kinda reminded me of CCR. Then the second track started and bells went off in my head. I had heard this song hundreds of times before, never realizing who it was. A great song: Moondance. The rest of the album is light (it wafts just above my head) and I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I like it. A few tracks I definately like, such as Moondance, Crazy Love and These Dreams of You - but equally there are tracks I dislike (Come Running and Into the Mystic).

This sounds like classic soft rock that the sensitive 90's guys of yesterday grew up on.

----

da end. Feel free to tell me I'm full of it or whatever.

And a big thank you to MacDef for sharing. It's been a fun experience that I'd do again in a heartbeat.

Feb 1, 2002 at 9:05 AM Post #65 of 79
Gorgon, pick up Pink Moon, IMO it is Nick Drake's best album by far, even though Bryter Layter and Time of No Reply are very good. It really was the apex of his achievement.
If you like him and Belle&Sebastien, I would highly recommend checking out Sam Prekop, and his other band, The Sea and Cake. They are both on Thrill Jockey, a small label from Chicago. They have the modern, relaxed vocal pop sound. See if you can find some mp3s of them, or listen to them somewhere, I think you will like them.
stu

Feb 19, 2002 at 9:47 AM Post #68 of 79
Wait! I still gotta do mine
biggrin.gif
I've been so freakin' busy that I keep forgetting. Rick's never gonna let me live this down. This week, I promise!

Feb 20, 2002 at 1:50 AM Post #70 of 79
just like ******** and elbows,everyone has one
biggrin.gif
(excuses that is)

but the macster is using uphis quota

HEY MAC !!!

YOU DON'T LIKE THE FRIGGIN CD ,DON'T BE SHY JUST SAY SO MAN
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 3, 2002 at 11:01 AM Post #71 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
This week, I promise!

oh puhleeeze!
by the time you post your review, it'll be time for the second annual cd-exchange.
tongue.gif

oil up that tin-man of yours, and let us put this sticky to rest.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2002 at 12:07 AM Post #74 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Wait! I still gotta do mine
biggrin.gif
I've been so freakin' busy that I keep forgetting. Rick's never gonna let me live this down. This week, I promise!

So?, is it coming along or are you hard at work writing your HP890 review?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back