Head-Fi Holiday Gift Exchange: Review your gifts!
Dec 18, 2001 at 3:43 PM Post #16 of 79
I received my holiday CD from Hirsch yesterday, entitled "Sweeney's Men" on the Transatlantic label. It is actually 2 albums on one CD, copywrite date is 1967, 1968, 2000. Hirsch mentioned to me that he had a tough time finding the "right" CD for the exchange...as did many of us I am sure.

First off, Thank you Hirsch for the gift, and for the time you invested in the selection.

The CD is a collection of Celtic/Irish folk songs. A lot of acoustic guitar, mandolin, tin whistle, and banjo. It is a long CD and I have not listened to all of it, maybe the first 1/3 of it. I love the recording quality...the acoustic intruments with both my Etys and my Grados sound magnificent. The vocals were difficult to understand for me because of the full-on Irish brogue. But the music is great!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Do I like the CD...yes I do. Thanks again Hirsch!!
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2001 at 12:48 AM Post #17 of 79
Received budgies CD coupla days ago (thanks dude) but have not opened it yet,though I want to
very_evil_smiley.gif

I think it is the right thing for me personally to hold out until Christmas ,even though the suspense is friggin killin' me.
On another note-looking over the list of the givers/receivers and then considering if everyone actually does do a review this may well end up being the longest head-fi thread EVER !
Damn scary

Dec 20, 2001 at 2:10 AM Post #18 of 79
Rick: There's no way that it'll get over 270 posts, which is I believe the current record. The record-holding thread is from Sep. 11, and I'd have posted a link except I don't want to dig up all those emotions and bad things.

[size=small]EDIT:[/size]

See, I can be mature too, just like the adult-types
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2001 at 2:15 AM Post #19 of 79
right you are eric,forgot all about that.And hell yes there were some rough emotions then-this will hopefully be a happy thread
biggrin.gif
(unless someone REALLY hates a selection
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Still jonesin' for the new CD,FIVE MORE DAYS
rolleyes.gif

Dec 21, 2001 at 10:29 PM Post #20 of 79
Got pigmode's cd today... I thought about waiting til Christmas, but only for about a minute, then ripped the packaging open
smily_headphones1.gif

He got me Ozawa conducting the Boston Symphony playing Vivaldi's Four Seasons. It's a Telarc release, and I currently don't have a copy of the Four Seasons, so this is great! It sounds awesome and I love the music. Thanks pigmode, definitely a great present!

BTW, budgie, hope you got what I sent you...
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2001 at 2:38 AM Post #21 of 79
I got McBiff's CD yesterday!!!! The thought of waiting till christmas never got to me though.
biggrin.gif
I was really late for school yesterday but then on my way I saw teh FedEx truck approaching, I was like "OMG, my CD's here, should I get it, listen to it, skip one class then go to school? Or should I just wait till I come back" Well I got to school. And I came home and opened it, it was Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power. I didn't pay too much attention to the cover at first, but while I was listening I noticed that it was a guy getting punched in the face, it's a pretty good art work and it conveys the message from this album. So the album starts, it's basically fast hard-metal that has a little influences from punk. When I first heard it I was like "this sounds like Slipknot", but Pantera came before Slipknot. Well, it's a nice record. I don't really know how to critique on the recording, but nothing really stands out, it's pretty flat and all. McBiff gave me a note saying that "...when you've had a bad day..." So I actually thought of wait till I have a bad day to listen to it, but I didn't care much.
I really loved the album, it does sound great and all, however (now that's a word that McBiff doesn't wanna hear). Pantera doesn't make the most innovative sound in the world, they have a great vocalist and guitarist, they are a talented band indeed, and their music is awesome. So I love this album, and I'm gonna love it more when I'm in the mood, I listen to different music in different moods. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention "...hostile" is my favourite track right now.

P.S., is paper really expensive in Sweden?

Dec 24, 2001 at 4:53 AM Post #22 of 79
Alright right! I'm glad you like it Flumpus. I always found that one endearing in terms of perfomance, composition, and sound quality.

Hmmm, I actually came here to find out when everyone will be opening their packages. I guess I'll wait to open DanG's package till Christmas...I guess.

Dec 24, 2001 at 2:17 PM Post #24 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Gorgon... you out there? I know I told you to listen for a while before posting a review, but I'm gettin' anxious
smily_headphones1.gif

Incidentally, I noticed his absence from these boards, too. Incidentally it seems to have started right after the 1 week mark of the quitting smoking thread....
confused.gif

Dec 24, 2001 at 11:24 PM Post #25 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by Odin
I got McBiff's CD yesterday!!!! The thought of waiting till christmas never got to me though.
biggrin.gif
I was really late for school yesterday but then on my way I saw teh FedEx truck approaching, I was like "OMG, my CD's here, should I get it, listen to it, skip one class then go to school? Or should I just wait till I come back" Well I got to school. And I came home and opened it, it was Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power. I didn't pay too much attention to the cover at first, but while I was listening I noticed that it was a guy getting punched in the face, it's a pretty good art work and it conveys the message from this album. So the album starts, it's basically fast hard-metal that has a little influences from punk. When I first heard it I was like "this sounds like Slipknot", but Pantera came before Slipknot. Well, it's a nice record. I don't really know how to critique on the recording, but nothing really stands out, it's pretty flat and all. McBiff gave me a note saying that "...when you've had a bad day..." So I actually thought of wait till I have a bad day to listen to it, but I didn't care much.
I really loved the album, it does sound great and all, however (now that's a word that McBiff doesn't wanna hear). Pantera doesn't make the most innovative sound in the world, they have a great vocalist and guitarist, they are a talented band indeed, and their music is awesome. So I love this album, and I'm gonna love it more when I'm in the mood, I listen to different music in different moods. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention "...hostile" is my favourite track right now.

P.S., is paper really expensive in Sweden?

I'm really glad you liked the CD, I was hoping you would. And I never said that Pantera is the world's most innovative band, but they sure can put a lot of raw energy in their songs. Sometimes that's all that matters to me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Paper expensive? I don't quite follow you there I'm afraid, but please explain. If you mean the paper I wrote the note on it was all I had available at the time.

Dec 26, 2001 at 9:03 AM Post #28 of 79
Rick, sorry I forgot to PM you
smily_headphones1.gif
It arrived on the 22nd; it's still in the wrapper, though, as holiday commitments have kept me from enjoying it. Thanks!

Dec 27, 2001 at 12:50 AM Post #30 of 79
Flumpus, got the disc(s) you sent me (I have been sick for several weeks with some sort of virus and really haven't felt up to doing any on line stuff.) A double disc set of Bela Fleck live. I have heard of Bela before, but have not really listened to him and his band before. Alot of range of music on this set! This is certainly a versatile group. A few of the selections are a little banjo heavy for my taste, but most are very good performances of interesting arrangements. The sound quality is exceptional for a live recording. I would defineatly consider this a keeper. The kind of disc(s) you can pull out again and again without getting that "I heard it all before" feeling. Thanks Flumpus!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back