Head-Fi Charged With Assault on Wallet
Apr 12, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #16 of 44

Quote:

Haven't signed on in a couple of months. Thought I'd just see what was cookin. (It's like visiting an old flame.) Well - one thing led to another, and I'm about to buy a pair of Grado SR325i's. I just gotta cancel my account on this site.
L3000.gif

NIIICE, buy them, be happy, never listen to the RS-2*or you will buy them like I did*

Apr 12, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #17 of 44
another fun thing...realizing you have tried on over about $30,000 of audio equipment at a boutique.*including cables*

Apr 12, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #18 of 44

Quote:
NIIICE, buy them, be happy, never listen to the RS-2*or you will buy them like I did*

$hit!!! I just checked out how just what the price difference was and it is only about $200 more than the 325's. That's the danger with this hobby. You climb the ladder one rung at a time. The jumps seem so insignificant, but at some point, one of your friends realizes that you carry a grand or two worth of portable gear and says something brilliant like, my ______ (fill in a DAP) with the standard buds sound just as good as your stuff. Yeah right!!

So, to get even, I introduce them to this forum and before long, they're addicted too!

Apr 12, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #20 of 44

Quote:
 The thing that's important is not to go high-end at first, you need to understand and appreciate the upgrade in sound and the subtle nuances, when you go high-end right away It loses the effect.. and that's what fun about this hobby, I think is to upgrade with time and experiment and experience music in all sort of ways..

Couldn't agree with this anymore. Getting the absolute best right at the start wouldn't give you the satisfaction that you worked your way to the top. 

Quote:
Yup. I came here humbled with a pair of PortaPros. Just about 2 years ago.

And now? Well, just check my signature! Luckily, the end is in sight...
tongue_smile.gif

You still have a long way to long my friend 
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #21 of 44
Yeah, that's a surprising statement coming from someone like me. Perhaps "The End" was a bit inaccurate, because that means being done, for good. We all know that's impossible.

But, I can come to a screeching halt. With the arrival of the HE-4/EF5 and the DBA-02, I don't think I'll have any urges to upgrade. And if I do, I'll have to pay top dollar for tiny improvements.

Apr 12, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #22 of 44
I'm still DAC shoping.

Apr 12, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #23 of 44
I came on here looking for a sub £50 headphone to buy and in hindsight should have just bought a £35 Superlux and be done with it.  Instead I have spend about ten times as much and the funny thing is that I don't even listen to music with my headphones that much as I usually use my speakers.  I dunno what happened and feel a bit guilt about it especially all bought on credit card.  
frown.gif

Apr 12, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #24 of 44

Quote:
 The thing that's important is not to go high-end at first, you need to understand and appreciate the upgrade in sound and the subtle nuances, when you go high-end right away It loses the effect.. and that's what fun about this hobby, I think is to upgrade with time and experiment and experience music in all sort of ways..

i'm downgrading first. went from Grado SR80s to Shure SRH440s. Next? Superlux!

Apr 12, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #25 of 44
This is so true. Then again, she gets all my old gear as I upgrade so she's fairly happy too.
Quote:
This site costs me more money than my girlfriend.

I came here with AD-700's and an Essence STX, both recommended to me for gaming.
Now I have a much better setup, but was still not happy. Just pulled the trigger on a Schiit Lyr and am saving up for LCD-2. Hopefully that shall be it for a long time.

Apr 24, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #27 of 44
It's funny, the warmer the weather gets the less I feel like investing in head-fi.  Makes me wonder whether head-fi, for me atleast, is just a byproduct of winter blues.

Quote:
Yup. I came here humbled with a pair of PortaPros. Just about 2 years ago.

And now? Well, just check my signature! Luckily, the end is in sight...
tongue_smile.gif

And a week or two later you've decided to ditch the HE-4s.  
wink.gif

Apr 25, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #29 of 44
Well, people who buy every FOTM thing on here are probably the same type of people rolling around in credit card debt. Many people have no sense of financial responsibility. Why do you think so many people are in debt?

There are those who are responsible, either they are affluent or spend well within their budget. However for some, it's basically trying to keep up with the joneses, and this place is not good for them. It's fascinating how the school system makes history and geography classes mandatory, but not personal finance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back