Head-Fi CES 2015 Highlights
Jan 25, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #91 of 137
 I think we'll be able to go to a store down the road, and order custom earphones--from affordable models to high-end monitors--while we wait.

people still go to stores?

Jan 26, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #92 of 137
As I understand it, United Sciences, directly and through licensing/partnership(s), will be making it rather painless for audiologists to equip themselves with this technology.

As an audiologists I can tell you normally we would not purchase something like this as the costs are not justified when silicone is inexpensive, tried and proven.

Hearing aid companies may purchase and give the equipment to audiologists, just as they have done for 3d ear mold impression scan boxes. I guess it really comes down to is what is more cheaper, a 3d scan box, or a hand held wand scanner?

The other issue is, if hearing aid companies have already made a huge outlay on scan boxes, they probably will not want to shell out more money on technology that really comes down to "shipping savings," as this is what really the hearing aid companies primary concern is. They don't care if the impression is digitized in a box, or in the ear canal.... It's all about saving shipping costs.

As an audiologist, I say if I can use this 3d wand to make digital impressions in less than one second, then I see a lot of utility for such a product, as taking impressions on infants and toddlers is a major task. (Often times they have to be sedated)

As a side note, many years ago, when programmable hearing aids started to be produced, audiologists didn't even accept those with open arms, as in order to program them one would have to purchase computers, cables, program interface boxes etc etc etc.... Eventually the hearing aid companies had to give audiologist the equipment before audiologists would start to accept programmable hearing aids over the old analog potentiometer hearing aids.

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Jan 26, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #93 of 137
As an audiologists I can tell you normally we would not purchase something like this as the costs are not justified when silicone is inexpensive, tried and proven.

Hearing aid companies may purchase and give the equipment to audiologists, just as they have done for 3d ear mold impression scan boxes. I guess it really comes down to is what is more cheaper, a 3d scan box, or a hand held wand scanner?

The other issue is, if hearing aid companies have already made a huge outlay on scan boxes, they probably will not want to shell out more money on technology that really comes down to "shipping savings," as this is what really the hearing aid companies primary concern is. They don't care if the impression is digitized in a box, or in the ear canal.... It's all about saving shipping costs.

As an audiologist, I say if I can use this 3d wand to make digital impressions in less than one second, then I see a lot of utility for such a product, as taking impressions on infants and toddlers is a major task. (Often times they have to be sedated)

As a side note, many years ago, when programmable hearing aids started to be produced, audiologists didn't even accept those with open arms, as in order to program them one would have to purchase computers, cables, program interface boxes etc etc etc.... Eventually the hearing aid companies had to give audiologist the equipment before audiologists would start to accept programmable hearing aids over the old analog potentiometer hearing aids.

I think one of the most exciting things about eFit is that it opens up the act of making ear impressions, turning it into something that I'd trust almost anyone to do. While I can't imagine that people will be buying the highest-end custom IEMs any time soon at the nearest electronics store, Apple Store, or airport headphone store, I do think more accessible custom-fit in-ear headphones are very doable (and there are real benefits that can apply in even more affordably priced, less high-end products), but only when getting an accurate full-ear impression becomes more democratized than it is now.

United Sciences' exhibit at CES--in a show partnership with Harman--was a very cool proof of concept. They scanned and printed hundreds of pairs of custom in-ear headphones (of two different types, two different models), and it went very well. In other words, hundreds of people acquired their first custom-fit in-ear headphones at CES in one visit--scan, print, and go.

While Kaiser 10's, Roxannes, UE18 Pros, MH334's, and other high-end custom IEMs require attention to detail and artisanal skills that would not make such turnaround possible, opening up custom fit for headphones that are more conducive to being produced quickly will make the idea (and benefits) of a custom fit more understood, more accepted.

Again, I would never agree to a teen-aged hourly electronics store clerk shooting my ears full of silicone. But eFit? That'd be fine.

Jan 26, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #94 of 137
I think the cool thing would be to have one scan taken and then use that file to send to different companies. One scan, many headphones. It is difficult for people outside of metropolitan areas to continually have impressions taken.

Jim

Jan 26, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #95 of 137
I think the cool thing would be to have one scan taken and then use that file to send to different companies. One scan, many headphones. It is difficult for people outside of metropolitan areas to continually have impressions taken.

Jim

That would be the true beauty.  E mail the scan file to your favorite company and boom, it's in their hands to build the iem.

Jan 26, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #96 of 137

I think one of the most exciting things about eFit is that it opens up the act of making ear impressions, turning it into something that I'd trust almost anyone to do. While I can't imagine that people will be buying the highest-end custom IEMs any time soon at the nearest electronics store, Apple Store, or airport headphone store, I do think more accessible custom-fit in-ear headphones are very doable (and there are real benefits that can apply in even more affordably priced, less high-end products), but only when getting an accurate full-ear impression becomes more democratized than it is now.

United Sciences' exhibit at CES--in a show partnership with Harman--was a very cool proof of concept. They scanned and printed hundreds of pairs of custom in-ear headphones (of two different types, two different models), and it went very well. In other words, hundreds of people acquired their first custom-fit in-ear headphones at CES in one visit--scan, print, and go.

While Kaiser 10's, Roxannes, UE18 Pros, MH334's, and other high-end custom IEMs require attention to detail and artisanal skills that would not make such turnaround possible, opening up custom fit for headphones that are more conducive to being produced quickly will make the idea (and benefits) of a custom fit more understood, more accepted.

Again, I would never agree to a teen-aged hourly electronics store clerk shooting my ears full of silicone. But eFit? That'd be fine.

I asked earlier, but I'm still not clear about the installation of drivers.  Can they just be popped in that quickly?

Jan 26, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #97 of 137

As a mfg

This device could give a big box store the ability to take impressions, but I wouldn't be surprised if the device would have to be supplied by the ciem mfg, as a big box store wouldn't care to spend the money on a low volume sales product. If the mfg supplies the 3 d wand, it would have to be "locked" to the sales of their ciem. In other words, it could only be used specifically for the sales of the supplying mfg. hearing aid mfg did this with their scan boxes as well. So if say an audiologis sold a Siemens hearing aid, the scan box would create a file that only Siemens could open, and other companies such as widex or phonak couldn't open the file. (Only fair, as Siemens paid for the scan box)

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Jan 26, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #99 of 137

As a mfg

This device could give a big box store the ability to take impressions, but I wouldn't be surprised if the device would have to be supplied by the ciem mfg, as a big box store wouldn't care to spend the money on a low volume sales product. If the mfg supplies the 3 d wand, it would have to be "locked" to the sales of their ciem. In other words, it could only be used specifically for the sales of the supplying mfg. hearing aid mfg did this with their scan boxes as well. So if say an audiologis sold a Siemens hearing aid, the scan box would create a file that only Siemens could open, and other companies such as widex or phonak couldn't open the file. (Only fair, as Siemens paid for the scan box)

I agree with the wizard. In an ideal world, the scanner would be free to anyone that wants one and would hook into any available computer creating small, easy to use open source files anyone can utilize. But in the real world with profit, competition, etc, these forces outweigh common sense creating these insane situations where great ideas fail. Unless the inventor successfully patents the idea and gives his invention away for free, monetary concerns will prevail aligning the product with select manufacturers that will use it as a competitive advantage to step on the competition.

Jan 26, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #100 of 137
If the right folks are monitoring this thread, how about coming to the NYC spring 2015 meet on May 2 and bringing this cool technology with you?

Jan 26, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #101 of 137

I agree with the wizard. In an ideal world, the scanner would be free to anyone that wants one and would hook into any available computer creating small, easy to use open source files anyone can utilize. But in the real world with profit, competition, etc, these forces outweigh common sense creating these insane situations where great ideas fail. Unless the inventor successfully patents the idea and gives his invention away for free, monetary concerns will prevail aligning the product with select manufacturers that will use it as a competitive advantage to step on the competition.

I think I read that this was patented, no? Either way, I must admit that my first thought when I read through the writeup was something along the lines of "If this ends up being exclusively used by Ultimate Ears I'm gonna be pissed!"

Jan 27, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #102 of 137
I don't have the time to read through the whole thread, so forgive me if someone's already asked, but is there any news on 3D printing silicone CIEM's? Having used both acrylic and silicone, I have to say I would much rather have a silicone version, but to me it seems like all of the CIEM's you could print from these would be hard-shelled acrylic models

Jan 27, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #103 of 137
  I don't have the time to read through the whole thread, so forgive me if someone's already asked, but is there any news on 3D printing silicone CIEM's? Having used both acrylic and silicone, I have to say I would much rather have a silicone version, but to me it seems like all of the CIEM's you could print from these would be hard-shelled acrylic models

First page, second post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back