Head-Fi CES 2015 Highlights
Jan 25, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #76 of 137
  Wow, that system is huge news. 

I'm totally envious that you meet Steve Wozniak! 
smile.gif

Oh, Amos, I wish I did, man. I've never met Woz. Mike Dias sent me that photo today. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to attend NAMM.

Jan 25, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #77 of 137

Wow, that system is huge news. 

I'm totally envious that you meet Steve Wozniak! 
smile.gif

Oh, Amos, I wish I did, man. I've never met Woz. Mike Dias sent me that photo today. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to attend NAMM.

Now I'm wondering how many pairs of CIEMs Woz has...

Jan 25, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #79 of 137
I remember reading about the Lantos 3D Digital Ear Scanner back in 2012, and have been wondering what happened to it, and when a similar technology might become mainstream and finally replace silicone ear-molds. I hope the Unites Sciences eFit system does the trick! 

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #82 of 137
It looks like a game changer, although I'm guessing the technology will take a while to mainstream to the bulk of audiologists that many of us rely upon for impressions.  I suppose their first big push will be towards the hearing aid industry, which will entice more audiologists to make the investment (whatever that may be).  If the scanners are that easy to use, I guess some headphone stores will invest in them, but there really aren't that many brick and mortar stores available to most of us.  It will be interesting to see future developments!

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #83 of 137
  It looks like a game changer, although I'm guessing the technology will take a while to mainstream to the bulk of audiologists that many of us rely upon for impressions.  I suppose their first big push will be towards the hearing aid industry, which will entice more audiologists to make the investment (whatever that may be).  If the scanners are that easy to use, I guess some headphone stores will invest in them, but there really aren't that many brick and mortar stores available to most of us.  It will be interesting to see future developments!

wldn't audiologists prefer the traditional method? this sounds like it can be performed by anyone. to get impressions currently you need to make an appointment with a licensed audiologist & pay $50-$150+ for impressions.

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #84 of 137
  wldn't audiologists prefer the traditional method? this sounds like it can be performed by anyone. to get impressions currently you need to make an appointment with a licensed audiologist & pay $50-$150+ for impressions.

Yeah, but I'm guessing the scanners won't be cheap, and audiologists would at least be able to do the volume of scans to justify buying one.  The interesting thing will be how the scanners are marketed.  Will they be sold or will there be licensing fees involved to perpetuate cash flow?  There will be, after all, a finite number of buyers for something so specialized, unless they branch out to other industries successfully.

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #85 of 137

Man they charge crazy prices out near you. It's $25 with the audiologist I visit for my yearly checkups.

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #86 of 137
On the other hand the impressions that are needed for a hearing aid can be of much lower quality, but it depends on the volume of customers and the price of the scanning equipment. (+how much the audiologist pays for shipping to the lab)

Jan 25, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #87 of 137

As I understand it, United Sciences, directly and through licensing/partnership(s), will be making it rather painless for audiologists to equip themselves with this technology.

Jan 25, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #88 of 137

In the U.S., some of the most successful headphone brick-and-mortar stores are the airport ones. When I'm traveling, I'll stop and browse in them when I can, mostly to see what the activity is like in them. When I stop in, I'm rarely alone in them, and most of the time I see people buying stuff.

Those airport stores would be fantastic for when there's on-location printing of customs. Like I said in my post about United Sciences's eFit, I can see a time in the not-too-distant future where a customer will buy from their departure airport, and pick up the finished product at the arrival airport.

As easy as it is to learn to use the system--and as inherently safe as it seems to be--I think it very reasonable to expect scanners to find their way to any store that sells premium headphones, like Apple Stores, Best Buy / Magnolia, Guitar Center, etc.

Jan 25, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #89 of 137
In the U.S., some of the most successful headphone brick-and-mortar stores are the airport ones. When I'm traveling, I'll stop and browse in them when I can, mostly to see what the activity is like in them. When I stop in, I'm rarely alone in them, and most of the time I see people buying stuff.

Those airport stores would be fantastic for when there's on-location printing of customs. Like I said in my post about United Sciences's eFit, I can see a time in the not-too-distant future where a customer will buy from their departure airport, and pick up the finished product at the arrival airport.

As easy as it is to learn to use the system--and as inherently safe as it seems to be--I think it very reasonable to expect scanners to find their way to any store that sells premium headphones, like Apple Stores, Best Buy / Magnolia, Guitar Center, etc.

Wouldn't that require a lot of training at a lot of places just to get driver installation done properly?  How would that part work?

Jan 25, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #90 of 137
This sounds awesome. I was ready to give up on customs as my UERM's never fit well. Maybe I'll try again with a laser scan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back