Head-Fi/Can Jam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest 2009 (CJ@RMAF 2009): It's Official!
Jul 1, 2009 at 6:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 119
[size=large]Head-Fi/Can Jam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest 2009 (CJ@RMAF 2009): It's Official![/size]

The late Al Stiefel, founder of Rocky Mountain Audio Fest.

Late in 2008, Rocky Mountain Audiofest co-founder Al Stiefel contacted me to discuss the idea of a Head-Fi presence at Rocky Mountain Audiofest 2009--an idea he was very enthusiastic about, and that his charisma had me excited about it in microseconds, too. After some discussions, we planned to meet in person at CES 2009 to discuss Head-Fi at Audiofest 2009. Unfortunately, we were both very busy in Las Vegas this year. Near the end of CES, Al called to see if we could finally meet, and, after I explained I was about to get on a plane back home, we laughed about having likely been in the same buildings at the same times, yet missing each other in Vegas. We planned to catch up after CES, but that was the last I talked to the kind man so many in the high-end audio industry knew and loved. Al Stiefel passed away on January 27, 2009.

Marjorie Baumert, Al's lovely wife, has also been one of the driving forces behind Rocky Mountain Audio Fest over the years, having served in the role of co-director. Though Al could never be replaced, Marjorie commenced working with the Rocky Mountain Audiofest Advisory Board, deciding the show must go on. The RMAF Advisory Board includes a small group of industry heavies eager to help keep RMAF going, including Ray Kimber (president of Kimber Kable), Joe Reynolds (president of Nordost Corporation), Roy Gregory (formerly editor of Hi-Fi+, and now vice president of marketing for Nordost), and Marcie Miller, a close friend of Marjorie who now assists with all things RMAF. Though I never had the privilege of getting to know Al Stiefel beyond our phone calls, I can't imagine he'd have wanted it any other way than for the show to go on.

About a month ago, Ray Kimber called to tell me that they were still very interested in carrying out Al's wish to have a Head-Fi presence at RMAF 2009. Though Ray was unable to make it to Can Jam 2009 (LAX) due to previously scheduled engagements, he is very familiar with our community, and I got the impression he knew that Can Jam 2009 went off spectacularly. (Kimber Kable exhibited last year at Can Jam 2008 in Fort Lauderdale.) The good Mr. Kimber invited me and John Purtill (who goes by the username "jp11801" on the forums, and who was the lead organizer for Can Jam 2009) to Denver to attend an RMAF Advisory Board meeting on June 25, 2009. How do diehard audio enthusiasts say no to that? Simple--they don't.

From the airport, Ray took John and me to the Denver Marriott Tech Center Hotel (RMAF's main site), and, simply put, it's an awesome venue. As jp11801 will tell you, there is no doubt the quality of the venue (and its management and staff) can play an important role in making an event a success. A walkthrough of the Denver Marriott Tech Center Hotel reveals a layout for a big audio fest that I can't conceive of any improvements for. Though I haven't been to a Rocky Mountain Audiofest event yet, it's easy to imagine this hotel filled up with thousands of audio nuts and exhibitors without being overwhelmed--there are several great big open areas for socializing outside of (and away from) the listening and exhibit rooms. The open spaces also make for a lot of exhibit table space for smaller exhibitors. Seriously, it's as close to perfect as I can imagine for an audio event that hosts nearly 3500 people.

Even more perfectly (for us headphone audiophiles anyway) is that squeezed between two of the main parts of the hotel--on one side are the bulk of the floor-level exhibit rooms, on the other side several of the high-end anchor rooms and the atrium that many of the individual hotel rooms open up to (many of which will be exhibit rooms, too)--is a gigantic hall called the The Rocky Mountain Event Center. How big? Over 12,000 square feet big. And the RMAF team has reserved this area for us.

This brings me to the actual Advisory Board meeting and the team. After Ray treated us to a wonderful lunch, we drove to Marjorie and Al's gorgeous home, which also serves as RMAF HQ. Remember I mentioned the audio industry heavies present? First of all, it was great to hang out all day with Ray Kimber, a man whose products I've owned and used (so far just the PBJ and Hero), and whose reputation has been earned in the high-end audio world over a period of decades. Of course, Ray has also become known in our world for the Isomike recording techniques he pioneered, and the recordings that have come from Isomike and its related label. With the exception of one or two of the most recent Isomike albums (which I will pick up), I own and listen to the whole Isomike collection, several of them very regularly. Ray has a mind full of great ideas, and fun, interesting ways of clearly conveying them.

Meeting with Joe Reynolds of Nordost was also a treat. Like most in high-end audio, I've known who Joe is for years, but only first met him at the meeting. A big, tough-guy-looking Irishman, Joe heads the extremely well-regarded Nordost Corporation, whose flagship products many consider the pinnacle of audio cabling, along with the likes of Kimber, Cardas and a small group of others. On the wishlists of many an audiophile are the four words "Nordost Valhalla" and "Nordost Odin," the latter being among the highest forms of audio unobtanium. The fact that Joe looks like he could break me in half belies his calm sophistication and cool presentation (at least that's how he came off at the meeting--maybe he does roar and break people in half routinely
wink.gif
).

When I shook hands with Roy Gregory, my first thought was, "Wow, the Hi-Fi+ editor!" I mean, this is one of the guys whose style, when I try my hand at writing reviews, I try but always fail to invoke. Yes, meeting one of a handful of my favorite audio writers of the last several years was definitely a groovy thing. Roy has since stepped down from his role as Editor of Hi-Fi+ to serve as Nordost's vice president of marketing. Roy's "pen" has been, in my opinion, one of the definitive, unique voices at the highest level of audiophile journalism over the last several years.

Can Jam 2009 LAX lead organizer John Purtill, fresh off organizing the best Can Jam yet, was impressive with a flow of good ideas. From we Head-Fi guys, geo-targeted ad campaigns, geo-targeted private messaging campaigns, and a strong social networking push were presented, and met with keen interest and ready acceptance by the RMAF Advisory Board. We're going to have to get creative to make good use of the time we've got ahead of October 2nd through 4th, 2009.

Without exception, every one of the members of the RMAF Advisory Board was excited about bringing the headphone audio enthusiasts and vendors to RMAF--a sort of cross-pollenation, and new blood. Though our biggest meet (LAX) brought in just over 500, including vendors, RMAF brought in almost 3500 last year. Our enthusiasts tend to be younger than the average age I've seen at most high-end two-channel shows. I was at one high-end two-channel show recently, and I'd have been hard pressed to point out attendees who looked like the were under 35. The hi-fi world needs new blood, and I can't think of any place that brings in more new hi-fi recruits than Head-Fi.

And despite some progress with the hi-fi enthusiast veterans in the last several years, our world of high-end headphone audio could stand to gain further acceptance in the old guard of two-channel high-end audio, many of whom have not been really exposed to the high end of headphonedom--and, again, there will probably be at least 3000 of them to throw headphones on, so RMAF opens up a vast opportunity for new blood in our enclave of audiophilism.

At the Advisory Board meeting, not a soul needed convincing--the idea of a Head-Fi / Can Jam event at RMAF simply gained energy as the meeting went on. By the end of the meeting, the idea had acquired flesh and blood, as well as a strong set of lungs and some fast-twitch muscle, all of which it's going to need, as we've got about a three-month sprint to hammer this out before RMAF 2009, which takes place October 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 2009. There will be challenges with such a limited time frame, but we will make as strong a presence and event as possible, given the tight timelines. We've already lined up some vendors, including Westone, Head-Direct, Ray Samuels Audio, Woo Audio and JH Audio, and expect that more will be signing up. And, Head-Fi'ers, feel free to show up with your gear, as we'll have member exhibitor space, too (more details to follow).

Thank you, Al Stiefel, for first calling me about this wonderful idea last year. I'm sorry we won't be shaking hands in Colorado in October, but you'll be on all our minds there. And I know we'll be raising glasses to you there--repeatedly. For now, though, we'll raise our headphones to you, and to this:

[size=medium]Chalk it up as official, everyone: Head-Fi/Can Jam will be at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest! If you can be there, be there.[/size][size=small]
[/size]
To read more about Rocky Mountain Audiofest, check out the following links:
  1. [size=small]Rocky Mountain Audiofest official website[/size]
  2. Positive Feedback's coverage of RMAF 2008
    1. Page 1
    2. Page 2
    3. Page 3
    4. Coverage of RMAF 2007
  3. Enjoy The Music's RMAF coverage
    1. Ron Nagle RMAF 2008
    2. Daily coverage, Day 1
    3. Daily coverage, Day 2
    4. Daily coverage, Day 3
    5. Coverage of RMAF 2007

Jul 1, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #2 of 119
Here are photos from the day, including the venue walkthrough and the Advisory Board meeting, including some photos of the late Al Stiefel's home rig (click on the photos to see larger versions):

[size=x-small]

(left photo) Johnny Numbers (jp11801) arrives in Denver, cool as a cat can be, nothing in tow but a notebook under his arm--that's money, baby.
(right photo) John (left) and Ray Kimber (president of Kimber Kable).

(above) Beyond these doors is The Rocky Mountain Event Center. Is there enough space? Let's see....

(below) ....scanning from right to left, you can see how large this room is--over 12,000 square feet. So, uh, yeah, we've got enough room.

(above) A lecture hall just outside of the CJ@RMAF event center. Some cool talks are being planned for this space by the RMAF Advisory Board.

(below) There's a large atrium and nice social areas (and a bar) just outside the CJ@RMAF event center hall.

(below) One of the lobby areas.

(below) RMAF Advisory Board meeting. (left to right) Marjorie Baumert (director of RMAF), Marcie Miller (assistant director of RMAF), Ray Kimber (president of Kimber Kable), Joe Reynolds (president of Nordost), John Purtill ("jp11801" on Head-Fi, and lead organizer of Can Jam 2009 LAX), and Roy Gregory (former editor of Hi-Fi+ magazine, and current vice president of marketing for Nordost). Not pictured: Jude Mansilla, founder and co-admin of Head-Fi.org, who is the dodgy photographer behind the camera.

(below) (left to right) Ray Kimber (president of Kimber Kable), Joe Reynolds (president of Nordost), and John Purtill ("jp11801" on Head-Fi, and lead organizer of Can Jam 2009 LAX).

(below) (left to right) Marjorie Baumert (director of RMAF), Marcie Miller (assistant director of RMAF), and Ray Kimber (president of Kimber Kable).

(below) (left to right) Marjorie Baumert (director of RMAF) and Marcie Miller (assistant director of RMAF).

(below) Roy Gregory (former editor of Hi-Fi+ magazine, and current vice president of marketing for Nordost).

(below) Photos of the late Al Stiefel's beautiful hi-fi rig. Thanks, Marjorie, for sharing this with us.

[/size]
[size=small]
[/size]

Jul 1, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #4 of 119
RMAF is a great show in general and I'd recommend that any local audio geeks attend. Having Head-Fi there will be an added bonus. I attended the first three RMAF's, but now live out of state and don't attend anymore.

Al was a great guy and I had the pleasure of seeing him each year I attended.

There are a lot of great vendors there (too much to see in an entire weekend) and many comment about what a great show it is (noting that they prefer it to some other shows that will remain nameless).

Jul 1, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #6 of 119
Jude, this is big news, and actually a huge deal that the headphone community is being recognized/included in such an event. Who would have thought that was possible even five-ten years ago? Okay, probably you, and folks like Tyll, but not the general audiophile community. Very cool and very exciting.

Jul 1, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #7 of 119
wow this looks awesome, why is all the cool stuff so far away from NYC

Jul 1, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #8 of 119
Well CanJam should be swinging back to NYC someday, and big audiophile shows do pop up here, but yep it would be nice to visit the Rockies!

Jul 1, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #9 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow this looks awesome, why is all the cool stuff so far away from NYC

Agreed. Looks to be VERY intense. I'm roughly 700 miles closer than you Gatto, but it's still a fair distance away. I am going to plan on attending, especially since I could not make CanJam but that is all going to depend on how the economy treats me in the coming months between now and then.

Jul 1, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #10 of 119
oh wow..this is huge!!.. even with 3 full days i didn't even get to the exhibition in the other hotel last year. headphones being recognized in the biggest annual audio event in the Americas is HUGE news in the audio world.

Jul 2, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #11 of 119
This is going to be a great event and I encourage all that can attend to try and make this one. This is where we get to show the speaker guys (ouch I am one of them) what our community is all about. Not to give too much away but we already have commits from several key vendors and will be reaching out to the Headfi community to come on down and display their personal rigs as well.

We are hard at work looking at the best way to configure that room (12,000 square feet
eek.gif
, that's a ton of space to fill!) in a way that will give people a quality listen.

Look out for a member rig sign up in the next few weeks and a MOT attendee list coming soon. I want to thank Jude and the RMAF team for inviting me to be a part of this event.

Jul 2, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #13 of 119
You mean a la Arnold? I'm not sure what it'll do to the chances of getting another invite to the fest next year, but it would certainly mix things up a little this year.
biggrin.gif

schwarzenegger-speedo-xlv.jpg

Jul 3, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #14 of 119
It's literally a stone's throw away from me. Hopefully, we'll have better weather this year; although it's not a bad way to spend a weekend stuck inside.

Jul 3, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #15 of 119
Wow! I think I'll be free around then and I'd love to be there. I'll do my best to make a showing and bring a rig to exhibit.

Exposure to 3,000+ dedicated audiophiles is a major achievement. I hope turnout is as strong for this as it was for CanJam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back