Head-Fi and HDtracks (David Chesky) Collaborate to Assemble A Headphone System Test Album!
Mar 11, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #151 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcwang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it would be nice for users who bought 96/24 versions to have access to the 16/44.1 versions for free. The thought is this, people who have 96/24 systems will buy the 96/24 versions. However, to play back as a CD, people with the hi-res version are doing their own sample rate conversion. The act of doing so using different software and methods means people are not listening to the exact same thing anymore when it comes to 16/44.1 playback. There could be no dither, different dithering methods applied, etc etc. Especially difficult because the sample rates are not multiples of each other, the end result could be quite different depending on how you do the SRC.

However, if purchasers are allowed access to the 16/44.1 versions as well, then with one purchase we all have at least one version as a baseline we are comparing against.

Very good idea! I was thinking the same thing about dither, etc. and that the HDtracks version is probably the best, but it didn't occur to me that they could just include it when you buy the 24/96.

Quote:

Originally Posted by realmassy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I said I've some doubts about the artistic quality, because this is not the music I usually listen to... SO I CAN'T JUDGE
No need to facepalm please

Oh I see, simple misunderstanding
redface.gif
sorry!

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #152 of 278
I purchased both the 16/44 and 24/96 versions. I have only listened to the 16/44 as I am in the process of purchasing a 24/96 USB DAC. Plus, I wanted to support this HDtracks/Head-fi partnership and purchasing both versions is less expensive than purchasing a standard 24/96 download. The standard version is impressive to my ears, however I am looking forward to comparing both side by side. I found out upon downloading, since both versions use the same file names you have to rename the first folder before the second begins to download. If not the next download will overwrite the previous. I contacted HDtracks and they reset the download so no worries in the end. They would have to correct that if they were going to offer a free 16/44 version with a high res download. Great idea though.

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #153 of 278
I also agree that physical CD's are probably going to eventually be replaced by High-Res. downloads, as this would definitely save of costs on both the front and back ends (production to consumption). Since HDtracks included the liner notes (.pdf) with all of the downloads I purchased so far, I have not lost anything. However I still get a thrill when looking at my CD collection. I know I could burn a CD copy and put it in a jewel case. It's just not the same.

Mar 11, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #156 of 278
I also can't get Track 7 to play correctly for me so far. I'm using a NuForce HDP with ASIO4ALL in Foobar 1.0.1 and everything that is 24/96 plays correctly, and VLC has the same issue with all 24/88.2 content that I have it seems, so for everyone else having the same issue with Track 7, it's probably hardware related.

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #157 of 278
I've listened to this 24/96 with my AKG K701's and Home HeadRoom amp. I followed the notes from each track and everything delivers! Despite all the Senn HD800 accolades I don't think you are going to go wrong w/the AKG's.

K

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #158 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheinonen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also can't get Track 7 to play correctly for me so far. I'm using a NuForce HDP with ASIO4ALL in Foobar 1.0.1 and everything that is 24/96 plays correctly, and VLC has the same issue with all 24/88.2 content that I have it seems, so for everyone else having the same issue with Track 7, it's probably hardware related.

Yes, it is hardware related. Check your sound card setting to see if it supports 88.2KHz if it does make sure you have the check box checked if not convert it to 96KHz or downsample to a different format that your sound card supports.

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #159 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by hvu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it is hardware related. Check your sound card setting to see if it supports 88.2KHz if it does make sure you have the check box checked if not convert it to 96KHz or downsample to a different format that your sound card supports.

What's weird is I bought "The Ultimate Demonstration Disc Vol 2" from HD Tracks and the same track is in 96khz. Looks like my DAC supports the 88.2khz version as well. I'll have to see if I can heard a difference. So it looks like HD Tracks screwed up putting the other version on this headphone album, especially when it can cause hardware problems and doesn't match the album's description.

edit: I do have a problem with that track. I have Amarra installed and it can't play through, so it let's iTunes handle it which I believe downsamples. So when I compare the 96K version, I can clearly hear the difference. So I'm just going to make a copy of the good track and place it in the Open your Ears album.

I've reported this to HD Tracks. We'll see what happens.

Mar 12, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #160 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheinonen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just tried a sample 88.2khz 24 bit file with my HDP and noticed it will play in winamp through wasapi, but foobar fails to play it using wasapi. However, foobar will play it in directsound mode. So maybe foobar's wasapi doesn't support that mode. This is in windows 7 32 bit.

Mar 12, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #164 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by froasier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know Windows bits have nothing to do with audio bits, right?
wink_face.gif

You do know I'm specifying which exact OS I've tested this on because things could behave differently on a different OS (xp, vista) and 32 vs 64 bit. 32 and 64 bit drivers are definitely different and one could be broken while the other is not. Changes between XP, Vista and 7 also probably mean drivers are not going to be the same across all 6 flavors of platforms.

Mar 12, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #165 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcwang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You do know I'm specifying which exact OS I've tested this on because things could behave differently on a different OS (xp, vista) and 32 vs 64 bit. 32 and 64 bit drivers are definitely different and one could be broken while the other is not. Changes between XP, Vista and 7 also probably mean drivers are not going to be the same across all 6 flavors of platforms.

Yes, just making sure
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back