Head-Fi and HDtracks (David Chesky) Collaborate to Assemble A Headphone System Test Album!
Mar 6, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #16 of 278
Great idea, thanks for everyone who worked on this
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #17 of 278
I bought it. Gonna test it tonight in AIFF format with amarra.

Mar 6, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #19 of 278
Good idea. i will download it tonight.

Mar 6, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #22 of 278
Thanks, Jude! We've really needed a shared standard that represents high-definition digital SQ. The 24/96 download of The Head-Fi/HDtracks Open Your Ears Sampler, "The Ultimate Test Disc for Headphones," took a long while to download to my computer, but it was worth it. For those who haven't gone to the site yet, here's a list of the 12 tracks and some info from the liner notes.

1-Stuck in a Moment You Cant G.flac [Midrange Tonality, natural as can be, "Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of," The Persuasions Sing U2, The Persuasions]
2-Money.flac [Low-Level Resolution, hearing the subtle stuff, Jazz Side of the Moon, The Music of Pink Floyd, Seamus Blake, Ari Hoenig, Mike Moreno, Sam Yahel]
3-Get Behind The Mule.flac [Transparency, see-through sound, Rough & Tough, John Hammond]
4-Sare Tete Wa.flac [Visceral Impact, feel the sound, Love Drum Talk, Babatunde Olatunji]
5-Gadamaylin.flac [Out-Of-Head Imaging, Of the Marsh and the Moon, I-Ching]
6-Texas Ranger.flac [Center Focus, Four Marys, Rebecca Pidgeon]
7-Concerto for Basoon and Orch.flac [Palpable Detail and Texture, "Concerto for Bassoon and Orchestra, Movement 3," Urban Concertos, David Chesky]
8-Hajji Baba.flac [Rhythm, do your headphones swing? Calypso Blues, Monty Alexander]
9-Percussion Imaging Test.flac [Spatial Depth, it's all in your head, Best of Chesky Jazz and more Audiophile Tests Volume 2]
10-Tumbao De Tamborito.flac [Depth, Music, Jazz Descargas, The Conga Kings]
11-Heartbeat.flac [Bass extension, how low can you go? Dr. Chesky's Sound Show]
12-Everything is Broken.flac [Bass, Music, Memphis in Manhattan, Billy Burnette]

Mar 6, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #27 of 278
Great idea.

It's a shame they don't have a broader selection of artists, most of the music I listen to isn't sold there, meaning I have no source of FLAC downloads and have to settle for my 320Kbps MP3 source in Millisong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back