Head-Fi 2008 Christmas Gift Exchange Whadjaget? Thread
Dec 24, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #16 of 26
Got this today in the mail. Talk about perfect timing!

Diana-Krall-Christmas.jpg

Dec 25, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #18 of 26
I opened my gift from MASantos on Christmas Eve and I'm listening to it right now. It's Pat Metheny, Dave Holland, Roy Haynes - Question and Answer.
A great record, I like it a lot. Even on my first listen I can tell there is a lot to explore on this album!
I only had very limited exposure to jazz so far, mainly because I didn't know where to start, but this is a nice starting point to explore the other works of these artists! I know Pat Metheny by name but that's it really.
Thanks a lot Manuel!

Dec 25, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #19 of 26
I opened my gifts from Bastet yesterday.
Panzerballett's Starke Stücken and Dredg's El Cielo. So far I've only heard the first, which I like a lot. I had never heard any metal jazz before and I'm liking it alot! I'll coment on th second album later when I have a bit of time to hear it! Going out to meet some more family right now! Thank you very much Caren and I hope that Pat Dave and Roy help you discover some more jazz! Merry Christmas to everyone!

Manuel

Dec 26, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #20 of 26
Well I hung on till Christmas morning before opening my two packages from Absorbine_Sr...a new record for me! And, boy were they worth waiting for...
Nitin Sawhney - Beyond Skin
Robert Fripp - Churchscapes - Live in England & Estonia 2006.
All I can say is: Wow! Just fabulous picks Mike, thanks so much. I hope you liked the ones that came your way.They are going to slot in nicely with the new stuff my lovely wife got for me..
Turin Brakes - Dark on Fire
Bryne/Eno - Everything that happens will happen today
Eno - Another Green World
Sasha - Invol2ver (Ltd Edition 2 disc copy)
Dead can Dance - Toward the Within (DVD)
I made out like a bandit...Score!
Merry Christmas All...

Dec 29, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #21 of 26
IMG_0173.jpg

From Lisnalee: Snow Patrol - A hundred million suns & Iris folk collection

IMG_0174.jpg

From Fraseyboy: Explosions in the sky - All of a sudden I miss everyone

Great music, thanks a lot for both of you
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 30, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #23 of 26
Ahh I forgot to post this before.. Illy2K was kind enough to send me The National - Boxer.

I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but it's on my work Clip for when I get a moment
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you

Dec 30, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #24 of 26
"Boxer" is a phenomenal album, Craig. All I can recommend is that you give it the kind of time you would give a Pink Floyd album before you dismiss it. There's a lot there, and it grows on you.

Jan 5, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by NacMacFeegle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I hung on till Christmas morning before opening my two packages from Absorbine_Sr...a new record for me! And, boy were they worth waiting for...
Nitin Sawhney - Beyond Skin
Robert Fripp - Churchscapes - Live in England & Estonia 2006.
All I can say is: Wow! Just fabulous picks Mike, thanks so much. I hope you liked the ones that came your way.They are going to slot in nicely with the new stuff my lovely wife got for me..
Turin Brakes - Dark on Fire
Bryne/Eno - Everything that happens will happen today
Eno - Another Green World
Sasha - Invol2ver (Ltd Edition 2 disc copy)
Dead can Dance - Toward the Within (DVD)
I made out like a bandit...Score!
Merry Christmas All...

And honors for the latest reply go to.... Me!!

Nac, sorry for the delay. I am very glad you were happy about my choices for you. And I love the 3 cd's you sent my way:

Anoushka Shankar/Karsh Kale - Breathing Under Water
The Sim Redmond Band - Room In These Skies
Magazine - The Complete John Peel Sessions

The first two were new to me and are great listening experiences. And I owned some Magazine stuff back in my vinyl days, but hadn't heard it for years. So Howard Devoto gave me some flashbacks that were more than welcome. Thanks for the awesome Christmas music!

Mike

Jan 6, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Absorbine_Sr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And honors for the latest reply go to.... Me!!

Nac, sorry for the delay. I am very glad you were happy about my choices for you. And I love the 3 cd's you sent my way:

Anoushka Shankar/Karsh Kale - Breathing Under Water
The Sim Redmond Band - Room In These Skies
Magazine - The Complete John Peel Sessions

The first two were new to me and are great listening experiences. And I owned some Magazine stuff back in my vinyl days, but hadn't heard it for years. So Howard Devoto gave me some flashbacks that were more than welcome. Thanks for the awesome Christmas music!

Mike

Mike,
No sweat. Glad you liked them. I have to admit to cheating a bit this year though..Philodox was my partner last year and he loved the Shankar/Kale disc so I thought I would risk it again
biggrin.gif

And Devoto is one of my favorite guys ever. I have a great story of how me and a buddy managed to see Magazine in Bristol, UK, (summer of '79) after arriving at the venue and finding it sold out..(Bauhaus and a no-name band made up the show)..It involves a graveyard and a need to relieve ourselves after a 3 hour drive to get to Bristol...
ph34r.gif

Anyways happy listening...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back