Head-Fi 2007 Christmas Gift Exchange Whadjaget? Thread
Dec 21, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #31 of 66
Well thanks for those kind words Jay...I'm glad you like the Shankar/Kale CD..It's one of my favorites too.
Jay was kind enough to swing 3 CD's my way as well.
First to arrive was one that we had initially PM'ed about: The Turin Brakes - Ether Song. Just great stuff indeed.
Then hard on the heels of that came two new to me, trip-hop, down-tempo bueaties: Archive - Londinium and Bows - Cassidy. (think Portishead, Hooverphonic, Faithless) I am loving Bows the best so far but it's close
biggrin.gif
I just have to get over the cheesy vocals on the Archive CD (sorry..in joke there
wink.gif
) I'm sure I will. Thanks Jay!
And thanks to Zanth for setting this up again..it's too bad we only do this once a year...
Best to all

Dec 21, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #32 of 66
Well, my CD came in today, and I'm currently banging my head with vigor and, dare I say, splendor!

Lisnalee (Damian), this has been a very highly anticipated album for me and so far it isn't disappointing in the least. Glad you're enjoying my selection, too!

Thank you! Merry Christmas!

For the curious:

172364ky1.jpg

[EDIT] Holy CRAP this album is a behemoth! Nay, a TITAN!

Dec 22, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #33 of 66
Omegaman sent me The Trials of Van Occupanther by Midlake.

Great gift, a new band I hadn't heard of and a really good album. Especially good timing since I didn't learn about too many new bands in 2007, so this was a good way to squeeze one in at the end.

Thank you.

Dec 23, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #34 of 66
MrSlacker sent me Ben Folds - Rockin' The Suburbs. I asked for something different than what I usually listen to and got exactly that.
wink.gif
A very cool CD, with some strong vocal work. Might just be my gateway to more Ben Folds CDs.

Thanks Slacker, since your holiday is already over I'll wish you a Happy New Year now.
tongue.gif

Dec 23, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #35 of 66
Received a package from the Netherlands today, from my exchange partner, Ellen_125. She very generously sent two CD's, both from artists native to her country.

The first is a live album from Ilse DeLange, "Dear John,". Ilse is described as a country music singer, and has recorded in Nashville. I'd not heard of her before, and that is a shame as she has a gritty emotional voice that I really like. The album is all John Hiatt covers, so I recognize a couple of them, and it is nicely recorded as well. A wonderful headphone album.

The second is the third album from a band named Coparck. It has a slight indie feel to it, with hints of Radiohead and some progressive edge to parts of it. Also well recorded, this one will go into the stack of "listen to me late at night" music.

Thanks Ellen!! Excellent choices that help expand my musical horizons.

And as others have done, a big thanks to Zanth for the excellent organization. It's always a highlight of the year.

A_Sr.

Dec 23, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #36 of 66
MERRY X-MAS .........

´´´´´´´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶´´´´´
´´´´´´´1¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶´´´´
´´´´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶´´´
´´´´´o¶¶¶¶¶¶¶$´´´´´´´ø¶¶¶¶¶¶´´
´´´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´ø¶¶¶¶´
´´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´o¶¶¶´
´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶¢´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´$¶¶´
´´´¶¶¶¶¶ø´ø¶$¶¶¶ø´´´´´´´´´1¶¶1
´´o¶¶¶¶¶´1o¶¶¶¶¶´´´1¶¶ø¢o$´¶¶¶
´´¶¶¶¶¶´´´´´7o71´´´¶¶øø$1´¶¶¶ø
´$¶¶¶¶¶o´´´´´´´´´´´¶´¢¶¶¶o¶¶¶ø
7¶¶¶¶¶1´´´´´´´´´´´´$´´´´´7¶¶¶ø
ø¶¶¶¶¶7´´´´´´´´´1´´¶´´´´´¶¶¶¶ø
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶´´´´´´¢¶¶¶¶7´´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶1´´¶¶¶¶¶ø¶¶ø´o¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶$¶¶´´7117¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶o¶¶¶¶´´´´´´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶7´¶¶¶¶¶oo7$¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶7´´¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶´´´´´ø¶¶¶¶¶¶¶´´¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶o´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´1¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶¶¶¶¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶

Dec 25, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #38 of 66
So we just finished gift exchange here at home. I opened the gift that Fatman711 sent me and found the last Hotel Costes CD, hotel costes 10!

I have most of the other hotel costes colection so this is an awesome gift!! Thanks Fatman711!!!! Did you like my choices?

Manuel

Dec 25, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #39 of 66
Here's my present from Bizzel:

0794881825325.jpg

I'd never heard of Piers Faccini before. It's a quiet, bluesy, folk-feel with funky rhythms cd. JP Plunier, who's worked with Jack Johnson and Ben Harper, produced it. I'm really liking it. Thanks, Bizzel!

Sadly, I checked amazon today to learn that though I ordered on the 15th, Bizzel won't be receiving my choice for him until the 27th.
frown.gif

Dec 25, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #40 of 66
I got Wolfmother - Wolfmother from GuffMorgan. I had heard a few of there songs and knew I wanted to own the cd from the first time I heard them (over a year ago) but never bought it. He picked it out based on my profile and was spot on. Thanks GuffMorgan!!!

The gift exchange is a great idea, and I am very thankful to everyone who participated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kunuggs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...The other is Puscifer's "V" Is For Vagina.

That's interesting, I thought of sending that as a "bonus" gift, just because it is so unusual and is sure to lead to some interesting conversation...

Dec 25, 2007 at 10:01 AM Post #41 of 66
The actual gifted me Jaga Jazzist - What we must.

I managed to wait until Christmas morning to open it. Having a quick listen now and I am impressed.

Thanks to Zanth for setting the whole exchange thing up.

Merry Christmas everybody.

Dec 26, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #42 of 66
Thanks to feh1325 I recieved a Franz Ferdinand CD. I saw these guys on Austin City Limits a few months ago but always forgot to pick up a CD by them (or him). I have listened to it twice today and love it.

Dec 26, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #43 of 66
GlendaleViper sent me 2 cracking great albums:

Arctic monkeys - Favorite worst nightmare.
Tokyo police club - A lesson in crime.

Both have been getting some serious airtime over the past week or so. Thanks Ryan for these and Zanth for setting it up.

Dec 27, 2007 at 8:28 AM Post #44 of 66
Whew!

Just got back from a nice 2 week holiday... May post all the pics from it in a thread...

Sadly, the CD that Contrastique sent me hasn't arrived yet... I didn't really expect it though as it's a long way for a CD to go. I see that Contrastique has got the CD I sent her and has mixed opinions. I found that it was a real grower. It's very different and unique which is cool.

Hopefully Contrastiques CD will arrive before new year
rolleyes.gif

Dec 27, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #45 of 66
Wow, that's ****ty! I asked them to send it with priority since they said without it probably wouldn't arrive in time. Moehaa, that's not funny. I send it 2 1/2 weeks ago or so...I hope you'll get it soon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back