Head-Direct RE0 or RE-ZERO w/o amping? Formerly used UE super.fi 5 Pro. My PMP is the Cowon S9.
Dec 15, 2010 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

elliotm

New Head-Fier
I'd rather not need an additional amp.  RE0 don't necessarily need an amp, but benefit from one while RE-ZERO has a low impedance (16ohm) comparable to my broken UE super.fi 5 pro (dual balanced armature).  I'd buy another of UEsf5p if I didn't expect them to break in less than a year, I'm a bit short on money this time around and all the other IEMs comparable to the UEs are either much more expensive, or need additional amping.

The Cowon S9 could drive the super.fi pretty loud.

From what I gather RE0 is generally considered better the RE-ZERO, but how about just excluding an sort of additional amping from the equation?

I tend to prefer sound closer to reference quality.

I'm leaning toward the RE0, already.  Care to push me over?

Dec 15, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #2 of 5
I won a set of RE0 from an head fi even raffle. I think they are the best sounding IEM's, I prefer them over the TF10's I used to own. At 64 ohms/100db sensitivity, my Fuze can drive them but barely, on some quieter albums I am almost at 100 volume when I'm in a noisey environment, so a little amping will help.

The RE-Zero's may be easier to drive from their specs 16ohms at 100db sensitivity.

Dec 15, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #3 of 5
I don't think the RE0 is better than the ZERO. To me, the RE0 and RE-ZERO are two sides of the same coin. Neither one is really better than the other and they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Neither have really good bass impact or quantity (RE-ZERO wins out slightly in this regard) and both carry good low end extension but on the RE0, the treble is the star of the show whereas the midrange is the focus of the RE-ZERO.

Dec 15, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #5 of 5
the zero seem like the better of the 2 - in fact i just bought a re-262 and i still listen to myre-zeros... for 99$ these are very good IEMs....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back