HE60 "Baby Orpheus" vs. HE90 "Big Daddy Orpheus" vs. Stax Omega 2 First Impressions
Apr 4, 2005 at 6:27 AM Post #31 of 58
GoRedwings19, there's no need to use a modded HEV70 when you have better amps. I just don't use HE60 enough to justify a new amp for it.

Apr 4, 2005 at 6:33 AM Post #33 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
GoRedwings19, there's no need to use a modded HEV70 when you have better amps. I just don't use HE60 enough to justify a new amp for it.

I use the he60's a lot. It took me a while to get use to it's lack of bass impact compared to the grado range, then when I really listened it wasn't that bad considering. It is probably cos I had no experience of electrostats and the he60/hev70 hadn't been used in a long time by the previous owner.

But now I really love it. To be honest I don't think I am tempted by the he90. Sure it would be nice but I feel the he60 has been a pleasant suprise for me. I can't wait to hook it up to the Stax or kgss amp.

Apr 4, 2005 at 6:39 AM Post #34 of 58
I change some caps and diodes in HEV70.

I actually prefer HE60 to HE90 because it has more bass. Gotta have my bass
biggrin.gif
The bass presentation of electrostatics is different than dynamic headphones. It's still quite enjoyable. I should fire up HE60 soon but things here are still a mess. I predict I will be pleasantly surprised.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2005 at 6:46 AM Post #35 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I change some caps and diodes in HEV70.

I actually prefer HE60 to HE90 because it has more bass. Gotta have my bass
biggrin.gif
The bass presentation of electrostatics is different than dynamic headphones. It's still quite enjoyable. I should fire up HE60 soon but things here are still a mess. I predict I will be pleasantly surprised.
smily_headphones1.gif

I gotta agree on that point, bass is very important to me. That's why the R-10's never ever did it for me. There was bass but there was no bass impact and I could not get use to it. I was kinda worried the he60/hev70 would be more of the same but it turned out peachy in the end. I am so new to this electostatic thing. It's different. But I have to go to Canada to pick up my O2's and see how they do.

Apr 4, 2005 at 7:04 AM Post #36 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
I gotta agree on that point, bass is very important to me. That's why the R-10's never ever did it for me. There was bass but there was no bass impact and I could not get use to it. I was kinda worried the he60/hev70 would be more of the same but it turned out peachy in the end. I am so new to this electostatic thing. It's different. But I have to go to Canada to pick up my O2's and see how they do.

GoRedwings19,
bass is another area where I found the KGSS to be significantly better than the HEV-70. HEV-70 does not produced deep bass and is not well defined in the lower registers. This is probably because of the wimpy unregulated power supply that comes with the amp.
I actually prefer the less impact of HE-60 compared to the dynamic cans. The bass is layered and deep yet not fatiguing because of lesser impact. Listening to "Sheffield labs : DRUM AND TRACK DISC" on these phones is lot of fun
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2005 at 7:25 AM Post #37 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawhit
GoRedwings19,
bass is another area where I found the KGSS to be significantly better than the HEV-70. HEV-70 does not produced deep bass and is not well defined in the lower registers. This is probably because of the wimpy unregulated power supply that comes with the amp.
I actually prefer the less impact of HE-60 compared to the dynamic cans. The bass is layered and deep yet not fatiguing because of lesser impact. Listening to "Sheffield labs : DRUM AND TRACK DISC" on these phones is lot of fun
biggrin.gif

Well I know it doesn't do deep bass but I still like it. I think this is maybe I wasn't expecting to amazed at it. The lack of bass impact compared to the dynamic varitants doesn't bother me surprisingly as I was expecting there to be none at all.

Apr 4, 2005 at 7:42 AM Post #38 of 58
Proud anti-members (GoRedwings19, Zanth, *Tyrion*, *SACDlover*, Ray Samuels (part-time), GSferrari) of "KenW-Where's-the-Justice-Crew". He's coming to an amp thread near you! PM me to sign up.
Dude, what's this all about?

Apr 4, 2005 at 7:54 AM Post #39 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Proud anti-members (GoRedwings19, Zanth, *Tyrion*, *SACDlover*, Ray Samuels (part-time), GSferrari) of "KenW-Where's-the-Justice-Crew". He's coming to an amp thread near you! PM me to sign up.
Dude, what's this all about?

Well the headfier KenW has no amp at the moment so a group of us have been winding him up. When he gets really touchy his favourite line is "where's the justice"??? He's always in the amp forums going on about being ampless and we just take the mickey and wind him up. That was until two members helped KenW play an april fools trick on me. But don't worry, hopefully payback with interest will be repaid in kind....

Read the GS-1 thread by SACDlover.

Apr 4, 2005 at 8:13 AM Post #40 of 58
Quote:

Read the GS-1 thread by SACDlover.

Ok, will do. Just one question: does the GoPinkwings19 thing in KenW's signature bother you?
biggrin.gif
eek.gif
tongue.gif

Apr 4, 2005 at 8:17 AM Post #41 of 58
Quote:

Ok, will do. Just one question: does the GoPinkwings19 thing in KenW's signature bother you?
biggrin.gif
eek.gif
tongue.gif

Umm nope, must be a new member or something
redface.gif
rs1smile.gif

Apr 4, 2005 at 8:31 AM Post #42 of 58
Quote:

Umm nope, must be a new member or something
redface.gif
rs1smile.gif

Ok, I was curious, that's all...

There really is some funny stuff in that thread. Earl and Ken did a number on you, dude.

Apr 4, 2005 at 1:27 PM Post #43 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by eric343
[The HE60 is not the same driver as the HE90. The HE60 is considerably smaller, the same size as the HD580/600/650. It also uses plastic everywhere, instead of the metal and wood of the HE90. The driver uses plastic spacers instead of phenolic.]

Hi Eric,

Great to see some pictures of the Sennheiser HE-60 drivers.

Looking at the HE-60 drivers, there seem to be an elliptical pattern of larger holes (approx. 15) in the stators. The pattern look this:

ooooooooooo
ooooo*ooooo
ooo*ooo*ooo
oo*oo*oo*oo
ooooooooooo
o*ooo*ooo*o
ooooooooooo
oo*oo*oo*oo
ooo*ooo*ooo
ooooo*ooooo
ooooooooooo

Can you describe this in better detail ? Is a similar pattern found on the HE-90 drivers?

-Michael

Apr 4, 2005 at 1:38 PM Post #44 of 58
"Off the KGSS, the HE60 is quite close to the HE90. The HE60 is warmer with a more bass-oriented presentation that gives it a more intimate feel than the wide-open spaciousness of the HE90."

This is exactly what I heard at the last NYC meet. I do prefer the HE60 over the HE90 on that setup for that reason. Even in the upper echelons of candom, I'm a basshead.

Apr 5, 2005 at 3:25 PM Post #45 of 58
Quote:

Eric, this was pretty much exactly what my initial impressions were when I heard all of these headphones together (off of bozebutton's amp and source) at the May '04 meet in NY. I've never heard the HE60's off of the HEV70, but when run head to head against the HE90's on a top-flight amp, they definitely hold their own and are remarkably similar. I'd say they were more like 95% of the HE90's, and to my ears, the HE60's were preferable to the O2's (but I'm not a big fan of the O2's 'dark' presentation).

Gotta agree with you Wayne. I also listened to the HE60's via Boze's 007t and source. I feel in love with them right there and then and knew those were the headphone for me. I wasn't a fan of the OmegaII's dark presentation either, but many claimed the amp and/or cans just needed warming up. Boze also swapped in the HEV70 at one point and it did sound a little harsher but it wasn't a huge hit in sound reproduction that i was expecting. As Hirsch point out previously, the HEV70 isn't a half bad amp once it warms up after an hour of use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back