HE60 "Baby Orpheus" vs. HE90 "Big Daddy Orpheus" vs. Stax Omega 2 First Impressions
Apr 5, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #46 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
I find the he60 very fast sounding and a lot of fun. I love the midrange and find the bass while it does not go deep as some of the cans I have is very good.
[snip]
during dynamic pieces or complicated sections it adds a shrillness to the top end.

Sorry if it seems like i'm post whoring, but i had to stop at this post and reply again.

I agree with the GoRedwings19's statements 100%. I think that's what bowled me over with the HE60's was the speed, bass response and liquid highs (out of the 007t) that drove me wild. Listening to music i found fatiguing at loud volumes on other cans was no issue with the HE60+007t, it just did something so right with treble response. I don't know if this makes any sense but it's like the frequency bands stay within their own range and don't disturb each other. Bass response is tight and accurate and doesn't over emphasize to the point of annoyance. I still pinch myself from time to time for acquiring a pair of the Baby O's since they are so damn difficult to find on sale.

Apr 6, 2005 at 12:26 AM Post #47 of 58
gloco>Quite a few people have commentated on the he60+007t combo. I think the 007t improves the he60 where it takes off a little off the "glare", but I think this is down to the hev70 than the he60. So luckily I found a headfier who was selling the 007t so I snapped that up. But it is in Canada ATM and the Baby O's are with me. I can't wait to try them out and see what that brings.

I love "air" with live accoustic recordings and the He60 does not dissappoint. Okay ATM with Rock music it gets killed by the Grado's, but that's about to change to even the score I got my little mitts on a kgss...then it will be the melos+rs-1 against he60+kgss+007t.....it's gonna be helluva ride.

Apr 6, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #48 of 58
Quote:

gloco>Quite a few people have commentated on the he60+007t combo. I think the 007t improves the he60 where it takes off a little off the "glare", but I think this is down to the hev70 than the he60. So luckily I found a headfier who was selling the 007t so I snapped that up. But it is in Canada ATM and the Baby O's are with me. I can't wait to try them out and see what that brings.

I love "air" with live accoustic recordings and the He60 does not dissappoint. Okay ATM with Rock music it gets killed by the Grado's, but that's about to change to even the score I got my little mitts on a kgss...then it will be the melos+rs-1 against he60+kgss+007t.....it's gonna be helluva ride.

No no no.

First, you own the HE 60's and listened to them. You like them...great! Now then...you own a 007t, I have it here, a gift for when you arrive in my country. Completely on me man! It's yours, take it! honest! This way you can get the best out of the HD60's and NEVER look back!

That said...the Omega II/KGSS stays with me. That is my gift to myself for letting you into my country. If you feel otherwise, you can keep your Redwings lovin' behind on that island you call a country!

Apr 6, 2005 at 1:07 AM Post #49 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
No no no.

First, you own the HE 60's and listened to them. You like them...great! Now then...you own a 007t, I have it here, a gift for when you arrive in my country. Completely on me man! It's yours, take it! honest! This way you can get the best out of the HD60's and NEVER look back!

That said...the Omega II/KGSS stays with me. That is my gift to myself for letting you into my country. If you feel otherwise, you can keep your Redwings lovin' behind on that island you call a country!

Dude, Wait till you hear your live accoustic recordings with the he60. THen partner it with the 007t, I think you might like it. Then for pure fun, it's KGSS time.

But if you like the kgss+omega 2 combo, sure keep it. Put on you slippers, light your pipe *YAWN* He60's are gonna kick Omega's ass!
rs1smile.gif

PM me your address so I can send the he60's to you.
eek.gif

BTW it has Grado style of placement first row and it's fun, really fun.
Give it a chance.

Funny I am sure it was Lord Stanley of Preston giving you Canadians something to play for...correct me if I am wrong......We gave YOU the cup...

Flame away dudes.

Apr 6, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #50 of 58
Quote:

Funny I am sure it was Lord Stanley of Preston giving you Canadians something to play for...correct me if I am wrong......We gave YOU the cup...

Flame away dudes.

Bah...a Brit who knows his lore.

Apr 6, 2005 at 1:29 AM Post #51 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
Bah...a Brit who knows his lore.

Yep, I told you I was a total hockey geek, my Le habitants fan....

I will send you the he60 on Thursday. You should at least recieve it in a weeks time.

Apr 8, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #52 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
The last HEV70 I listened to had really separated left and right channels. Was this a defective HEV70? Or is this just the sound of the HE60's?

It was like crossfeed would be mandatory.

-Ed

Are you sure the set was warmed up? I remember you wrote in another thread that the HEV70 was on for around 6 hours (that should be enough). But... was it playing music all that time or was it only "on"?

I'm asking that because today is my first day with my new HE60.
orphsmile.gif

Yes, it took me 2 weeks Googleando, browsing more than 800 pages and sending more than 60 mails in English, French, Spanish and Italian). At the end I got from France a used but mint pair (really, it looks brand new, not a single mark even on the RCA connectors or earpads). And for 480 Eur, shipping included.
orphsmile.gif

I had the HEV70 "on" with the HE60 connected (but not playing music) from 12:00 to 20:00. I thought they should be ready. I tried and I was really dissapointed. A sound quite similar to a HD595 from an iPod and with that horrible separation. It was like having some speakers on my left/right instead of having them both in front of me.

It was getting better, specially from 22:00 to 23:00. Now it is 2:30 and I'm still revisiting my CDs. I doubt I'm having any sleep tonight. Tomorrow is going to be fun at work (I'm bringing the MiniDAC/BabyOrpheus to the office, of course. It is quite transportable by using the laptop/USB as transport)
blink.gif

Still far from the Big Orpheus or Omegas, but the improvement is really there. Now I can't wait to have shipped a maxed-out KGSS with the HE60, HE90 and Stax jacks from Justin. One KGSS to rule them all!
icon10.gif

Thanks a lot Eric for that HE60 jack!
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers

PS: Maybe this "demanding" warming up time is because it was not used (if ever, they are that mint) for ages. I'll see tomorrow.

Apr 8, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #53 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad
Are you sure the set was warmed up? I remember you wrote in another thread that the HEV70 was on for around 6 hours (that should be enough). But... was it playing music all that time or was it only "on"?

I'm asking that because today is my first day with my new HE60.
orphsmile.gif

Yes, it took me 2 weeks Googleando, browsing more than 800 pages and sending more than 60 mails in English, French, Spanish and Italian). At the end I got from France a used but mint pair (really, it looks brand new, not a single mark even on the RCA connectors or earpads). And for 480 Eur, shipping included.
orphsmile.gif

I had the HEV70 "on" with the HE60 connected (but not playing music) from 12:00 to 20:00. I thought they should be ready. I tried and I was really dissapointed. A sound quite similar to a HD595 from an iPod and with that horrible separation. It was like having some speakers on my left/right instead of having them both in front of me.

It was getting better, specially from 22:00 to 23:00. Now it is 2:30 and I'm still revisiting my CDs. I doubt I'm having any sleep tonight. Tomorrow is going to be fun at work (I'm bringing the MiniDAC/BabyOrpheus to the office, of course. It is quite transportable by using the laptop/USB as transport)
blink.gif

Still far from the Big Orpheus or Omegas, but the improvement is really there. Now I can't wait to have shipped a maxed-out KGSS with the HE60, HE90 and Stax jacks from Justin. One KGSS to rule them all!
icon10.gif

Thanks a lot Eric for that HE60 jack!
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers

PS: Maybe this "demanding" warming up time is because it was not used (if ever, they are that mint) for ages. I'll see tomorrow.

congrats on getting the baby O system. The Kgss will hopefully take the performance to another level which you will be happy with. My Kgss is in Canada (I want it back, Zanth!!!!!) but then I thought I would get a Blue Hawaii built as well although I am not using Headamp.

I have been reading up on some old posts regarding the he60 V he90 debate using a similar amp to drive them. I know that the he60 is a better match for me than the he90. So I have pretty much got what I want. But a few people have suggested the he60+007t combo.

I can tell I have been using the he60's too much because I find the PS-1's "veiled" JOKE

But seriously I find the PS-1's dull in the midrange and has a lack of detail compared to the he60's. Even the lesser bass impact of the he60's don't bother me, but then again I don't rate the PS-1's that high anyway compared to some of my other headphones.

I am hoping that the kgss or 007t will be able to make the he60 a melos+rs-1 killer. No easy task by any means.

Apr 8, 2005 at 9:59 AM Post #54 of 58
Thanks!
orphsmile.gif

Yes. I can't wait for that KGSS. I'll leave the HEV70 at the office and I'll use the KGSS at home.

I was tempted too for the BH. At the end I went for a maxed-out KGSS (Black Gate Caps, Silver wiring, ...) instead of a BH because is is more convenient for me now, I can have it done in quite small dimensions (smaller than a Stax amp), and I heard that there is not a big difference between them (although this is something I'd like to test by myself). If you get a BH please let us know your impressions about the BH/KGSS A/B test.

I share your impressions regarding the bass on the HE60. I was quite surprised. I wasn't expecting "slam" at all, but it is there. I did read quite a lot of posts from you and I know a bit your sound signature, so I agree with you that the HE60 is a better match. The Omegas have even better bass, but you seem to like bright (instead of dark) phones so I think the HE60 is a better fit.

I was quite surprised that you were so dissapointed with the PS-1s. I did find them quite enjoyable. Maybe you are trying them in a too focused "RS-1 setup"? You might want to try them with some other amps... Anyway I prefer the HE60s too.

BTW I didn't sleep last night at all and now I'm still enjoying them. Is a good thing to have your desk in a closed room so I don't bother people. Yes, maybe too loud. I can help myself.
basshead.gif

Cheers

Apr 8, 2005 at 3:03 PM Post #55 of 58
Nomad> Never heard my Omega 2's yet so couldn't comment on whether they are for me. I like the he60 grado type presentation. It suits me. I have managed to squeeze very good results out of the hev70 considering that it is commonly percieved as the weak link. The he60 shows real potential of what it could achieve given the opportunity.

The ps-1's are too smooth and dull for my taste's. I have tried it with the WNA, Melos but I found it sounded it best with my sony PSP. Just got my Ipod today so I have found a use for my PS-1's. They will never be the phone for me.

I wouldn't say I like bright phones as such as I love the hp-2's and they are not bright. But bright phones with a forward type of presentation seem to really sing in my system. This is due to the ML combo being very warm sounding and musical rather musical accuracy and detail. There seems to be some kind of synergy going on between the two, So Grado's sing. I do like the hd650's to be honest and totally respect why people love these headphones so much.

Anyway I would love to hear your impressions of the kgss by headamp. Me, I have to go to Canada to see if I can prise it out of a friends hand.!
rs1smile.gif

Apr 8, 2005 at 3:46 PM Post #56 of 58
I see. Yes, maybe you are going for those "upfront" bright phones because of the sinergy with your warm amp. I had quite the same experience. I like the HD650 but I was finding myself listening to the SR-225 again and again instead while listening from the Apogee MiniDAC which is kind of warm.

You can count with my impressions regarding the KGSS from Justin. Actually it is going to be interesting as mine has the 3 jacks and I'm going to try my HE60s, the HE90s from Jatinders and possibly the Omega 2s from Bangraman. We will play with amps too, comparing the KGSS with the HEV90, the HEV70 and (possibly again) the SRM-007t too.

I have the impression that you are around here sometimes (You started the last UK meeting thread, isn't it?). If that's the case feel free to send me a PM in order to drop by for a maxed-out Headamp's KGSS listening session.
orphsmile.gif

Apr 8, 2005 at 3:56 PM Post #57 of 58
Quote:

Cool! When i tried out Hirsch's setup back in 2003 i loved the HE60's with the Stax but the bias stuff scares the hell out of me. Being that i'm clumsy i'd rather not get electrocuted
evil_smiley.gif

What i also found interesting about the HE60's is their ability to playback any music, regardless of how poorly recorded it is, and it still sounds good. I've found that my Shure e2c's (i know, it;s not a fair comparison
redface.gif
) are sound quality dependant; play a poorly recorded tune and i find myself running to change the album fast. Not so with the Baby O's. I think I need to upgrade my source though
wink.gif

Apr 9, 2005 at 12:07 AM Post #58 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
What i also found interesting about the HE60's is their ability to playback any music, regardless of how poorly recorded it is, and it still sounds good. I've found that my Shure e2c's (i know, it;s not a fair comparison
redface.gif
) are sound quality dependant; play a poorly recorded tune and i find myself running to change the album fast. Not so with the Baby O's.

In that regard, I don't think that's an unfair comparison at all. IMO I think all music-listening-oriented headphones ought to sound good with whatever material is being played through them, regardless of whether it's well-recorded or not. (well... to an extent, anyway
biggrin.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back