HE60 "Baby Orpheus" vs. HE90 "Big Daddy Orpheus" vs. Stax Omega 2 First Impressions
Apr 3, 2005 at 8:15 AM Post #16 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by eric343
I do love electrostatics!

Unfortunately, I've never even seen a pair of Qualias in person
frown.gif
Maybe I can get someone to send them to me... but I don't think there's enough demand to offer custom cables. (which is how I got the HE60s on loan -- I had to take measurements on the connector)

Drew (Moon Audio Cables) has shipped to me the Black Dragon, I'll tel you if there is that "up-grade" in sound as Hirsch has declared...

Best!
Nicola

Apr 3, 2005 at 8:23 AM Post #17 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
Drew (Moon Audio Cables) has shipped to me the Black Dragon, I'll tel you if there is that "up-grade" in sound as Hirsch has declared...

Best!
Nicola

Not only few users -- but already competition!

Time to try something new. Nik, are you going on vacation any time soon?
Anyone with a Dynahi they don't need?

Apr 3, 2005 at 9:30 AM Post #19 of 58
Ooh, if there's another Seattle-area meet happening, I want in on it. Especially if there's electrostats involved!

Apr 3, 2005 at 9:54 AM Post #20 of 58
There's electrostats at every Seattle meet I attend, because I always bring the HE90/KGSS
smily_headphones1.gif

Cat, I don't have a pair of 404s around, so I couldn't say...

Apr 3, 2005 at 10:07 AM Post #21 of 58
lets get the ball rolling ... i should have my Triple-Channel-PSU version of the Headcode built by then, im hoping to get some SA5000's sometime soon ....

Apr 3, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #22 of 58
I find HE60 close to HE90 also. I prefer the added bass of HE60 because I already have bass "light" headphones. I'm not sure I'd want to upgrade to after HEV70 though. I wasn't really liking the sound of KGSS at meets I heard..

Apr 3, 2005 at 10:25 PM Post #23 of 58
This wonderful thread only compounds the misery of allowing the HE60 to slip through my fingers yet again. After borrowing Alex's HE90 rig I knew it was the headphone for me; it captures that Senn magic that my HD650 possess (which I do prefer over all other dynamic ‘phones), but it exhibits a clarity that few other headphones achieve (the SR-007 does not demonstrate such clarity, IMO). To hear that from the same amp the HE60 achieved most of the HE90's magic (and possibly a slightly more euphonic approach) only causes a relapse of pain. It is encouraging to hear that one day when I meet the elusive HE60 she will retain the beauty of her older sister. I'm still interested in that adapter, Eric.
orphsmile.gif

Apr 3, 2005 at 11:33 PM Post #24 of 58
I enjoyed listening to Hirsch's HE-60 this weekend with the KGSS. I preferred the O2 for classical but it was too smooth for metal. The HE-60 kicked butt here with its clarity. Along with the clarity, the HE-60 also has a smooth midrange which makes it a great performer. I definitely want a set.

Apr 4, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #26 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
The last HEV70 I listened to had really separated left and right channels. Was this a defective HEV70? Or is this just the sound of the HE60's?

It was like crossfeed would be mandatory.

-Ed

I have been using the Baby O system a lot lately and I find that it only sounds really seperated when the phones haven't been charged up enough. Also I find the Hev70 not as bad as everyone says it is. Hopefully I can get an adaptor to put the he60 into my KGSS and 007t.

Canman>I was under the impression you had a set???? Uncledan was selling a set a while back and thought you got them????

Wmcmanus>Yes one of the reasons I bought the 007t besides able to drive the O2's is because the he60+007t work really well. This is of course with some tube rolling needed. I will mail Hirsch for his suggestions as he told me about it.

Without hearing the He90 it's difficult to guage how good the he 60 is. But funnily enough I do prefer the he60 to the hd-650's, PS-1's and R-10's. This is my first experience of electrostats and was a bit worried about it. But I find I really like it. I find the he60 very fast sounding and a lot of fun. I love the midrange and find the bass while it does not go deep as some of the cans I have is very good. Obviously with electrostats their is not the same bass impact you would find say a Ps-1 or Rs-1.

The only caveat I find is the hev70 while I don't find it as bad as made out to be, during dynamic pieces or complicated sections it adds a shrillness to the top end. I think the 007t would be a better match for it in this regard.

Apr 4, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #27 of 58
Yeah the HEV70 is really separated when it's still warming up. When it was warmed up, I didn't really like the sound though. It was too "round" and unfocused to me. My modded HEV70 has a more focused sound in terms of imaging which I prefer.

Apr 4, 2005 at 6:14 AM Post #28 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Yeah the HEV70 is really separated when it's still warming up. When it was warmed up, I didn't really like the sound though. It was too "round" and unfocused to me. My modded HEV70 has a more focused sound in terms of imaging which I prefer.

I was thinking of getting the hev70 modded for better SQ. But I am not so sure whether it's worth it considering I have other amps I could use with the he60. Must admit though the Blue Hawaii would be nice.

Apr 4, 2005 at 6:20 AM Post #29 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
The last HEV70 I listened to had really separated left and right channels. Was this a defective HEV70? Or is this just the sound of the HE60's?

It was like crossfeed would be mandatory.

-Ed

I would attribute that to the HEV-70. Things get better after its been charged up for some time but the extreme L-R seperation problem is still there.
The KGSS is a BIG step above the HEV-70 in every area and provides a lot of depth to the sound thus removing the problem. When paired with KGSS the HE-60 are the phones with best imaging and soundstaging that I have heard (yet to listen to a stax or the big O)

With the HEV-70 I prefered to have the Corda Cross-1 in the chain but now I no longer feel its need

cheers
Rohit

Apr 4, 2005 at 6:26 AM Post #30 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawhit
I would attribute that to the HEV-70. Things get better after its been charged up for some time but the extreme L-R seperation problem is still there.
The KGSS is a BIG step above the HEV-70 in every area and provides a lot of depth to the sound thus removing the problem. When paired with KGSS the HE-60 are the phones with best imaging and soundstaging that I have heard (yet to listen to a stax or the big O)

With the HEV-70 I prefered to have the Corda Cross-1 in the chain but now I no longer feel its need

cheers
Rohit

I must admit I have got use to listening to the he60/hev70 combo. It took me a while to adjust to the electrostatic sound. I then placed Cardas golden reference in my system to help the he60/hev70 combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back