HE400 vs DT880 vs RS2i
Sep 6, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:
Which one is better for rock, metal, alternative, grunge, etc?

Heya,

Between the HE400 and DT880, it's basically a preference thing, and a comfort things, all of which is subjective and tied to you alone. The DT880 is a world class headphone honestly. The HE400 is also a world class headphone. Both are simply excellent. The Beyer is more comfortable to me, by a margin. But the HE400 is fairly comfortable. The HE400 is faster and sounds warmer right away. The DT880 has a better sound stage, and a touch of brightness to it that gives a bit more sparkle to detail. Again, all preference. I cannot comment on the RS2 unfortunately as I have not had head-time with it specifically, but I do love Grado sound; I simply do not love Grado comfort (bleh).

Very best,

Sep 7, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:
And the ATHM50 is no way better than the HE400, right? Because I want is my main, and the M50 as a more portable, and also because I heard they are better with rap. Is it true?

Lol not even close. IMO M50's are not even worth its $150 price, if you consider that HE400s are $400. The performance gap is that big.

Sep 7, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #9 of 16
So are the HE400 good with rap?

If properly EQ'ed, it is fantastic for it. With flat EQ the vocals come off a tiny bit harsh for a lot of rap IMO. Granted I don't have much rap, mostly MF Doom and J Dilla...

Here's a screenshot of the EQ I just made for a pretty bass heavy rap sound:

Somebody else could probably do better but I think it sound great.

EDIT: Woah, I just noticed that my EQ is identical to the bass EQ in the xonar audio center except for 8 and 16k... weird.

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

If properly EQ'ed, it is fantastic for it. With flat EQ the vocals come off a tiny bit harsh for a lot of rap IMO. Granted I don't have much rap, mostly MF Doom and J Dilla...

EDIT: Woah, I just noticed that my EQ is identical to the bass EQ in the xonar audio center except for 8 and 16k... weird.

Why'd you bump down 2-4k so much? They're already really recessed in this area already, I'm trying this right now and it sounds horrible, disgustingly dark and clouded. 

Sep 8, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:
Why'd you bump down 2-4k so much? They're already really recessed in this area already, I'm trying this right now and it sounds horrible, disgustingly dark and clouded. 

To tone down the vocal harshness a bit. It sounded good with the particular song I was playing I thought.

Like I said I'm sure someone else could do better, just trying to point out that a good EQ will make these things sound a lot better for certain genres.

Sep 8, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #12 of 16
From my experience:

HE-400: better bass, less sparkle and somewhat less energy but doesn't lack details compared to DT880. Also warmer noticeably.
DT880: slower bass but extremely detailed and textured. Very sparkling and very revealing but also somewhat... too much energy at times. Sounds somewhat more sterile and thin compared to HE-400.
RS2i: even thinner and less bass than DT880.
M50: lacks behind both DT880 and HE-400 by a very far margin.

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

EQ is baddddddddddd! Lol sorry I just don't like EQing, no hate involved.

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

EQ is baddddddddddd! Lol sorry I just don't like EQing, no hate involved.

Ha, I don't blame you for not liking it. It usually goes against the sound the artist intended, and can add distortion. 

I just think it's fun pumping up the bass on these things, you should try it just to experience how loud it can really get. For the most part I play music with a flat EQ though.

But I've heard some of the FiiO amps have a distortion free bass boost... I almost want to get them just for that.

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:
Ha, I don't blame you for not liking it. It usually goes against the sound the artist intended, and can add distortion. 

I just think it's fun pumping up the bass on these things, you should try it just to experience how loud it can really get. For the most part I play music with a flat EQ though.

But I've heard some of the FiiO amps have a distortion free bass boost... I almost want to get them just for that.

Distortion-free, but you still lose some bass texture and clarity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back