HE-90's Are Almost Here!
Sep 18, 2005 at 2:54 PM Post #31 of 43
The HE90’s were:

1)Un-attainable
2)Limited to about 300 pairs that were sold a long time ago.
3)If found were $7500
4)The best electrostatic headphone made.

Seems like a win win situation for the fortunate new buyers.

Also the speakers will devalue substantially after purchase where the HE90’s are worth every penny and will re-sell for at least what the buyers paid for them.

Mitch

Sep 18, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #32 of 43
Second batch here,but I don't expect Justin to be done building my amp until about that time anyway
orphsmile.gif

Sep 18, 2005 at 4:15 PM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sennheiser
There are of course speakers costing more than what an average house will cost, but I'm not sure how "good" those esoteric speakers really are.

And that's the point... don't knock it until you've tried it.

Whathisname who's posts no longer exist in this thread tried these and wasn't too impressed. That's fine, but obviously many here feel very strongly about the qualities of these phones.

That said I'm with you over what's right for _me_, with my still fairly pricy phones matched with some fairly pricy speakers once I'm moved into my new place. But I'll say this - I'm a bit scared to ever try the HE90s because something truly intoxicating can break all bounds of rationality... like a nice round shot of heroin. Can't ever go back.

Sep 19, 2005 at 2:33 AM Post #35 of 43
It is true that $5000 will get you a great pair of speakers (Nautilus is a great example, so are the Vienna Acoustics). But just like a $150,000.00 copier won't make you coffee, and a $5000 Hyandai will drive you to work for the next 7 years, everything is relative.
Is it a decadant purchase? Yes it is. Will it bring joy to the owner...yes, it will. Are the buyers hurting anybody in the process, no they aren't. That is the important thing.
Are we talking jealousy of some people being able to afford them, if so, I think of it this way...they played the game of life better than I did.
If we are not talking jealousy, then we are talking about people who are angry at others for spending a large amount of money, on things that won't create world peace. No one ever said that life is fair, and who has a right to tell someone, what they can or can't spend their money on. Life trudges on.

Sep 23, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #39 of 43
And you know what else... I laugh at your silly HE90's.. you have only half the equation... I will not be happy until I have the BIG-O. BWAHAHAHAHA

*currently insane

Sep 29, 2005 at 1:01 AM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg
And you know what else... I laugh at your silly HE90's.. you have only half the equation... I will not be happy until I have the BIG-O. BWAHAHAHAHA

*currently insane

Rumors have it that a slightly-improved version of the original HEV90 amplifier is in the advanced stages of development by a 3rd party manufacturer. I'm watching this one closely, because I've never heard the HE90s sound better than with the HEV90. The synergy between the two is really unbelievable.

Therefore, you could actually have the "Big O" system -- if you have money! Anything Orpheus-related is by definition quite expensive. The headphone connectors are $80 each...

Sep 29, 2005 at 1:47 AM Post #41 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by eric343
Rumors have it that a slightly-improved version of the original HEV90 amplifier is in the advanced stages of development by a 3rd party manufacturer. I'm watching this one closely, because I've never heard the HE90s sound better than with the HEV90. The synergy between the two is really unbelievable.

The HEV-90 also happens to be the best I've heard the HE-60 with by far. The HE-60 with this amp may be a nice compromise for those of us who can't swing the HE-90. Hopefully this amp will be more affordable than an HEV-90!

Sep 29, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #42 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by eric343
Rumors have it that a slightly-improved version of the original HEV90 amplifier is in the advanced stages of development by a 3rd party manufacturer...Therefore, you could actually have the "Big O" system -- if you have money!

Once again, we're talking about vaporware again - impressions of an incomplete amp design, yet to be built, with absolutely "zero" basis in fact
rolleyes.gif

"Improved"? Based on what?

1. Are you sure that the available Sennheiser schematic for the HEV90 includes everything? I've heard to the contrary. Even if you come close, you probably won't have a "real" HEV90.
2. Has the designer/builder of the new amp ever seen or heard a real HEV90? Or better, have one in his possession with which to do direct comparisons to his amp?

Hey, I'm all for better amps and all. And with the HEV90 long discontinued, it'd be nice to have something that approaches it's magic with the HE90's. I truly hope such a venture succeeds. But throwing around "new & improved" descriptions so prematurely? Dunno.

Sep 29, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #43 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Once again, we're talking about vaporware again - impressions of an incomplete amp design, yet to be built, with absolutely "zero" basis in fact
rolleyes.gif

Speak for yourself. Rumors can be remarkably persuasive, especially if they come with pictures and test-reports from close friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back