HE-6 Loaner Program
Nov 3, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #886 of 903

Quote:
does the HE6 still require a speaker amp for amplification.

Quote:
No, David...It does not. Just don't expect to to be driven by an Amphora or a Bithead,
Any ballsy home amp will do. I used a Raptor, Luxman P-1. Headroom Desktop, Xin Reference, Valhalla (not good enough), and a EF-5.
The difference in efficiency compared to the "proto" model is astronomical. 

Quote:
How did the HE-6 prodo perform with the EF5?

I did some testing at RMAF.  With the EF-5 I would listen to the HE-5 LE at 10-11 o'clock and the HE-6 production at 11-12 o'clock, while the prototype had me listening at 3-4 o'clock when I had it.  I found the HE-6 production to also work well with my ZDT.  With ZDT I had to listen to the prototype at 3-4 o'clock, and the new production version only required the volume to be at about 1 o'clock.  For comparison sake, I use the ZDT at 11 o'clock for HE-5 LE and 10 o'clock for HD600, HD800 or LCD-2.  

I almost thought the EF5 could achieve a little higher max volume with them than my ZDT. Overall I thought the EF5 was a good match for the HE-6 now, both in power and timbre and tone.  The HE-6 squeeze that little bit of extra performance out of the EF5 amp, but the amp will still hold them back a little, although sounding glorious doing even that.  The EF6 prototype and ZDT extracted more detail and space from the HE-6 than the EF5 could, but the ZDT had the warmth and richness of the EF5 rather than being more analytical like the EF6.

So both amps now have plenty of headroom to crank it up or for dynamic transients, while they were near maxed with the prototype.  They HE-6 are still not as efficient as the HE-5 LE, but they are a good bit closer now.  You still have to choose a powerful amp, but it doesn't need to be a speaker amp now.  I tried the HE-6 production on the CEntrance DACmini and it did seem a bit underpowered with them, requiring max volume for normal listening (no distortion). The DACmini could drive the HE-5 LE or Beyer T1 much better.  The HDP still needed to be playing at about 3 o'clock without much headroom as well, but it out-powered the DACmini, while falling behind the EF5 with them.

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #887 of 903

Quote:
I did some testing at RMAF.  With the EF-5 I would listen to the HE-5 LE at 10-11 o'clock and the HE-6 production at 11-12 o'clock, while the prototype had me listening at 3-4 o'clock when I had it.  I found the HE-6 production to also work well with my ZDT.  With ZDT I had to listen to the prototype at 3-4 o'clock, and the new production version only required the volume to be at about 1 o'clock.  For comparison sake, I use the ZDT at 11 o'clock for HE-5 LE and 10 o'clock for HD600, HD800 or LCD-2.  

I almost thought the EF5 could achieve a little higher max volume with them than my ZDT. Overall I thought the EF5 was a good match for the HE-6 now, both in power and timbre and tone.  The HE-6 squeeze that little bit of extra performance out of the EF5 amp, but the amp will still hold them back a little, although sounding glorious doing even that.  The EF6 prototype and ZDT extracted more detail and space from the HE-6 than the EF5 could, but the ZDT had the warmth and richness of the EF5 rather than being more analytical like the EF6.

So both amps now have plenty of headroom to crank it up or for dynamic transients, while they were near maxed with the prototype.  They HE-6 are still not as efficient as the HE-5 LE, but they are a good bit closer now.  You still have to choose a powerful amp, but it doesn't need to be a speaker amp now.  I tried the HE-6 production on the CEntrance DACmini and it did seem a bit underpowered with them, requiring max volume for normal listening (no distortion). The DACmini could drive the HE-5 LE or Beyer T1 much better.  The HDP still needed to be playing at about 3 o'clock without much headroom as well, but it out-powered the DACmini, while falling behind the EF5 with them.

EF6, is that a prototype amplifier?

Nov 3, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #889 of 903
Looking forward to getting these ordered tomorrow. Let's hope there are no last second delays.

Nov 3, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #890 of 903

Quote:
Yep. It was presented on what appeared to be the box in which the HE5LE comes in. You can check it out here.

Thanks for that. Class A solid state, looks interesting.

Nov 4, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #891 of 903
HE-6 ordered. 
redface.gif

Nov 5, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #892 of 903
Hi guys

Just wanting to clarify. These headphones use magnetic planar technology, similar to the LCD-2s? Can anyone who's listened to the production models able to compare it to, say the tesla T1 or the LCD-2s? Was wanting to see if these headphones could introduce me into the high-end headphone tiers.

Nov 5, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #893 of 903

Quote:
Hi guys

Just wanting to clarify. These headphones use magnetic planar technology, similar to the LCD-2s? Can anyone who's listened to the production models able to compare it to, say the tesla T1 or the LCD-2s? Was wanting to see if these headphones could introduce me into the high-end headphone tiers.

Yes, they use the magnetic planar technology, as do the HE5 and HE-5LE.   As far as comparisons, that will probably have to wait until the production versions reach the ears of those who own both and can spend more time with each rather than just a brief preview at RMAF.  

The HE6 can, without doubt, be included in the list of top-tier heaphones. 

Nov 5, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #894 of 903
It appears that a new cat has been let out of the bag.

Does Fang ever sleep? He's going to be hairless before 40.

That proto volume pot looks like it would take me years to solder. Maybe if I start now 
smile.gif

Nov 5, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #895 of 903
Oh yeah? Please share details!

Nov 5, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #896 of 903
Ok, well since fishski13 has opted out of the loaner program, then I assume that the prototype loaners I have must (reluctantly) head back to Fang now.

I must say, these are some very nice-to-listen-to headphones. Very even and natural sound, across the entire spectrum, with everything seemingly in the right proportions(for me anyway). I really like the soundstaging and placement, very clear and deep bass, and the way the music sounds real. They do so much right, and from what I am hearing, the production version is even better sounding.

These will definitely be on the must have list.

What more can I say, I want a pair.

Thank you Fang for the opportunity to audition these great headphones. You are much appreciated.

Nov 5, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #897 of 903
I was hoping because they were in IN that I could get on the tail end of this program for our meet on the 20th but Fang said since they are now available to purchase, we couldn't participate. Really wanted to hear them with the LCD-2s on the same gear.

Nov 20, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #899 of 903
Its been an interesting thread. I'm thinking of getting the HE-6.

I have a humble Little Dot MkIV SE amp. Would that be sufficient for the HE6? Or should I order it with the EF5 with the current bundle promotion?

The specs say the Little Dot outputs 100mW@32ohms while the EF5 outputs 15v@32ohms. Can someone enlighten me how to interpret those numbers?

Thanks! :)

Nov 20, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #900 of 903
The MKIV SE will be insufficient. The EF5 outputs approximately 2W at 50ohms (the HE-6's resistance).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back