HE-5LE or something cheaper to complement HD650?
Jul 22, 2010 at 7:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

McPanse

100+ Head-Fier
Here's the deal. I've got two headphone amps and only one pair of headphones between them. As a result, I don't listen as much as a should. 

My re-cabled HD650s spend most of their time downstairs paired with my PS Audio GCHA and Digital Link 3. My Little Dot MKIV and Cambridge Audio DACMagic resides upstairs largely unused for the want of headphones that don't require a trip downstairs. Lazy, I know.

I'm looking to spend $700 tops, but I'd prefer to keep it under $400.

1. I really enjoy my Grado SR60s at work and am interested in seeing what the 225s or 325s offer. But their reputation for being uncomfortable and fatiguing one-tricky ponies gives me pause.

1. The HE5-LEs have been on my watch list since they were announced. The listener impressions are everything I could ask for. But the asking price is off putting, especially given reports here of various QA problems and inconsistent customer service. 

1. The AKG 701/702 had sat near the top of my list for a while, but they have a reputation for being unforgiving of less-than-stellar source material.

Other contenders include:
  1. Beyers (DT880 or DT990)
  2. Denon (AD2000 or AD5000)

Wildcard:
  1. A pair of train-and-plane travel-worthy portables that might be worth listening to at home with a stationary amp (B&W, Audio-Technica, V-Moda)?

Ultimately, I want something that's different* or better than the HD650s and somewhat forgiving of sub-reference-quality recordings. The chosen cans also must work well with at least one of the amps I already have.

My musical preferences are all over the map, but lean toward acoustic rock/alt.country/americana, female singer-songwriters, and all manner of popular music from the 40s, 50s and 60s.

* different in a good way, of course. After all, a pair of $5 portables are different from the HD650s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back