HE-500 Loaner Program
Jun 7, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #138 of 185
Where did that Canadian issue of the HE500 go? Things have been rather quiet of late. Too quiet... :wink:

Jun 8, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #139 of 185
I have them and as far as I'm aware you're next on the list. Lucky you 
wink.gif

We'll be in touch via PM

Jun 8, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #140 of 185
Thanks for the update, Zida. Very cool to hear. I hope you are liking what you are hearing!!!

Jun 8, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #141 of 185
I will say that I have been having a tough time deciding whether I'd prefer to keep my HE-6 or sell them to get an HE-500 (can't I just keep this one?
mad.gif
). I always considered myself a 'get one good pair and roll with it' user, but having these two is definitely making me wish I was more of a 'match the phone to the album' kind of guy, because they definitely each have their own uses and can make relative magic out of certain recordings where different presentation styles can be appreciated.

Quick, superficial, HE-6 vs. HE-500 comparisons,

1. I don't have a quality scale on hand, but I'm pretty sure the HE-500 is heavier than the HE-6. It's cable is also heavier.

1. I haven't tried comparing sonic characteristics of the cables of each (never tried that before, now I'm kind of excited to try), but I far prefer the aesthetics of the HE-6 cable. It's so thin and durable you can completely forget that it's there. Not that there's anything wrong with the HE-500 cable, I assume it's on par with other stock cables of flagship headphones.

1. It is worth noting, however, that the HE-500's strain relief doesn't ever dig into my shoulders like the HE-6 occasionally does.

1. The overall aesthetic quality of these HE-500 feels better than my HE-6. It's a matter of the little things. the left cup on my he-6 is maybe just a couple mm too close to it's harness which causes it catch on the pads some times and leaves marks there... the length adjuster also slides way too easily on the left harness which can be a minor nuisance when I pick them up. The HE-500 pads are bit squishier, which I wouldn't necessarily consider more comfortable, but if the HE-6 fit as tight as the HE-500 do then I probably would.

1. The one way where the aesthetics of the HE-500 fall behind the HE-6 is in one unusual area. If you knock the ear cups (I'm assuming this would only be accidental while listening to music) you hear them ring out. It makes these cans really feel like a pair of CANS. Not a deal breaker by any means, just odd and makes you appreciate the more solid sound the HE-6 make
    tongue_smile.gif

1. The finish of the HE-500 is nice, but I have no real preference between the two. The finish of each almost feels like it has been matched to the sound characteristics of each* (a sturdy-looking finish with a bass hump and mids vs. a delicate and classy-looking piano finish with relatively linear bass, trebles, and airy sound).

*note: I am referring to the intended, and electronic, sound characteristics. Not the acoustic can-rapping sound characteristics. In the case of the latter my statement would be the opposite.
tongue.gif

----

As far as the comparisons of sound signature go it has pretty much been covered,

The HE-500 does indeed have more of a bass hump than the HE-6. The bass hump isn't as far deep as the easily audible bass goes, either. You sort of hear a sub bass and then stronger mid-or-just-less-subbish bass. It felt weird and bothered me at first, but I got used to it and feel I can appreciate it's use.

The mids are more obvious on the HE-500. It's obviously due in part to the non-accentuated highs, but I believe also due to the contracted sound stage.

The treble is still good, but less obvious.

As far as detail goes in the mids/trebles I haven't necessarily noticed a difference, but I've never been particularly good at that. For instance, when I occasionally hear the flaws in an encoded MP3 I just get a better encoded MP3. I have never felt the need of FLAC, or necessarily anything above a well-encoded 192kbps MP3. All that is to say that just because I don't hear a difference in micro details doesn't mean they're not there or even obvious to most state-of-the-art-audio owners.

For the sake of mentioning it in a non-passing statement, the sound stage is very obviously smaller on the HE-500. That's not to say that it's any worse. It's just closer. I feel like that can even be considered a feature at times. I have never been much a soundstage guy, though, I can't comment on things like imagery or width or depth. It still feels like its good, it also feels like it's smaller. I'll leave it for someone else to comment on the specifics.

----

I wish I just liked one of these more than the other, but it has proven very hard to pick out a favorite. The HE-6 feels like it's the nicer of the two. If you were to just plug the HE-6 in and throw on some rock music anyone would very likely be impressed where I feel HE-500 would take more attention to really realize the quality. I say that because of the super deep and tight bass presentation the HE-6 has, coupled with the promoted but absolutely non-peaky treble and the wide sound.

I feel the HE-500 are less immediately impressive. The sound stage is smaller and the bass has presentation more akin with cheaper headphones. All the features of the HE-500 sound very quality, and easily better than low/mid/hi-mid-fi headphones I have heard, but it doesn't flaunt it. It doesn't set itself up on display for everyone to catch a glance in passing like the HE-6. Maybe in that way their finishes should be swapped.

Jun 8, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #142 of 185
You may want to peruse the following short, somewhat staggered, but still informative review done by 6Moons on the HE-500.  It's here:  http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/hifiman4/1.html  

In it, there is a table comparing the four latest HifiMAN HE-series cans and their key attributes.  That alone worth a look, as it is evident that the HE-500 is equal in weight to the HE-6 (without cable).  I'm puzzled why Fang decided to ship the HE-500 with a speaker cable, since they tend to be heavier gauge then headphone cables, but I'm sure he has had his reasons behind this decision.  Another issue is that the cable is single-ended, which is fine, but it's further degrading from the headphone's true capabilities on balanced systems.  So, a quality replacement cable--preferably balanced--is warranted here, IMHO.  The cans are certainly good enough for the investment and even with that added cost, you're still going to be approximately half the cost of an Ultrasone Edition 10.  For the sound quality you're getting it's quite a bargain, especially considering you're getting a pair of orthos that are just as easy to drive, as opposed to the HE-6's power requirements.

The HE-6 has its own merits, of course, but this is a HE-500 thread.

Jun 8, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #145 of 185

Quote:
nope. i think there are 2 US sets and both are in the east right now since they have a lot more reviewers.  

I believe that is correct. I was first up on the West list, but I can't seem to get anyone in the East or in Canada to send a loaner out here.

I've also tried emailing Fang, but so far no reply.

I sure would like to hear it.

Jun 10, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #146 of 185
Received the Euro loaner this morning and have been doing a bit of initial listening with the stock cable from the RPX-100.

Visually they are almost identical to the HE-4, the silver ring on the cups that I have seen in some photos are not on these. They are markedly heavier than the HE-4 and has a much more dense feeling. In actual fact they remind me of bells and they also have a strong metallic sound with a long reverb if you tap on them with a nail or knuckle while wearing them. The cushions are slightly shallower than on the HE-4 resulting in the driver protection pressing on my ears, this might be a comfort problem after long use. The cable is a thick, unwieldy, plastic/teflon coated rather microphonic one that is more unhandy than the thinner cloth coated one on the HE-4. They are somewhat easier to drive than the HE-4 but not as much as I expected, the HE-4 requires 12-1 on the volume dial whereas the HE-500 get by with just under 11.

First impression of the sound is that they are at least a level beyond the HE-4 in every aspect but then again they also cost twice as much. The treble is not as sharp as the HE-4 (not that the HE-4 treble bothers me in any way) but with at least as much detail. The midrange (very important for me) is more forward/prominent than on the HE-4 and oh so lovely, probably the best midrange I have ever heard in a headphone. The bass is deep, tight and precise with no bloat and only there when it should be. There is plenty of speed and control throughout the entire frequency range. I’m looking forward to try them with my balanced Whiplash cables (in transit).

I’m seriously fearing that I will have to get rid of the HE-4 and buy a HE-500 in the future.

Jun 10, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #147 of 185

Quote:
Received the Euro loaner this morning and have been doing a bit of initial listening with the stock cable from the RPX-100.

The cushions are slightly shallower than on the HE-4 resulting in the driver protection pressing on my ears, this might be a comfort problem after long use. 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/557659

Agreed, but Fang is working on that issue and will be releasing optional pads including leather soon.   If done right, that will be a marked improvement over the existing ear pads, which do tend to be on the soft side, although I've experienced much, much worse.

Jun 13, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #148 of 185

Quote:

Humm, I never noticed a list being circulated, could someone point me to it.

Thanks

BT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back