HE-400 vs. HE-500 vs. HE-4 Comparison
Dec 14, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #76 of 352
  rotfl!! ...but is it a very quiet yet sharp electronic synth that "sparks"???? i think notttttttt 
tongue.gif

Haha. I couldn't think of how to describe it. jerg's right, it is more of a "bzz".

Dec 14, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #77 of 352
  Once you know what to listen for, you can hear it with just about anything. You're missing my point though.

yeaaaa jergdudeeee. you're totally missing the point yo. the point is that it onlyyyy SPARKS w/ the H4+ember. any other headphones can also pick up this detail as well, but they can't pick up the SPARK yo! and that's the word brotha real talk represent

Dec 14, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #79 of 352
Originally Posted by Thujone /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I did. I did some extensive listening last night with the HE-4 and that puppy can definitely power them, but so can the Ember. In fact, the Ember is a better amp all around, but not by a long shot. Emotiva is slightly thicker and slightly more congested. Ember has just as much speed and punch, but it sounds airier and separates instruments so flawlessly.

Interesting review! I came from the Project Sunrise 2 and frankly thought the Mini-X was quite a bit better. The Sunrise 2 definitely had good synergy with the HE-500, but it definitely missed the impact/dynamics and sound stage (width) of the Mini-X. So its quite interesting to note that you think that the Ember is an improvement on the Mini-X, though it does double up in power from the Sunrise 2.

Which tube are you using with your Project Ember? I had an Amperex Orange label 12AT7 that I liked the most with Sunrise 2. The person who bought my Sunrise 2 also liked this tube the most by far. Perhaps I should put the Ember back on my radar as well as it is so compact, but my experience with the Mini-X experiment is making me hesitant lower down on power output again (or well at least below 2W @ 50ohm). I also didn't appreciate my Sunrise 2's lack of EMI shielding and I guess that holds true for the Ember as well? 

I still connect my HE-500 on my Yamaha RX-A3010 AVR and Myryad MXA5150 power amplifier (118dB SNR) from time to time and it is noticeably quieter/cleaner and more expansive sounding compared to the Mini-X, though had better be comparing them cost wise! The bass impact also subsides somewhat, which shows that there is a touch of colouration on the Mini-X's bass mixed with a bit of caffeine throughout, though it certainly is fun.

Dec 14, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #80 of 352
The Ember will be more than enough for the HE-500. I love this little amp. It is just a lot cleaner than the Emotiva though the Emotiva hits a tad harder in the bass department (thicker). Soundstage is better on Ember as well (with the HE-4 at least). I feel like they (Ember and HE-4) have similar qualities, both spacious sounding and excellent with instrument separation. Together, it is truly a treat (to my ears).

I'm using the 6N1P tube, and I actually haven't tried any others yet. I'm quite satisfied. I'm not too sure I know much about the EMI shielding... I haven't experienced any interference though.

The way you describe your other setup to the Emotiva is very similar to how I feel with Ember vs. Emotiva.

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #81 of 352
Yeah I listen to a lot more than just EDM, drum and bass just happens to be my favorite genre, and even with EDM I think a balanced less bass heavy sound is superior. All I want is for them to have good sub-bass extension with no roll-off and for them to have decent punch. I don't care about elevated bass at all.

EDIT: Also amping the HE-4 shouldn't be an issue I have an Audinst HUD-MX1 which can give about 850mW of power which should be sufficient based on the power graphs I see. This actually seems like the perfect headphone for me since I don't really like V-shaped responses and prefer airy fast headphones.

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #82 of 352
Just noticed they're not 345 anymore at headamp. Still an amazing hp for the money, but man I'm glad I grabbed mine when I did.

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #83 of 352
  Yeah I listen to a lot more than just EDM, drum and bass just happens to be my favorite genre, and even with EDM I think a balanced less bass heavy sound is superior. All I want is for them to have good sub-bass extension with no roll-off and for them to have decent punch. I don't care about elevated bass at all.

EDIT: Also amping the HE-4 shouldn't be an issue I have an Audinst HUD-MX1 which can give about 850mW of power which should be sufficient based on the power graphs I see. This actually seems like the perfect headphone for me since I don't really like V-shaped responses and prefer airy fast headphones.

Power output is still only one piece of the puzzle. The Magni would put out more power than that, but I don't think it would sound too good with the HE-4 (didn't ever get to try the combo before I sold my Magni though, so I can't say for sure). If you buy the HE-4, just be ready to have to spend at least $169 more (Emotiva mini) if you aren't happy with their sound. My Maverick D1, for example, put out a similar wattage as your amp, which got the HE-4 loud enough, but it did not sound good.

Just noticed they're not 345 anymore at headamp. Still an amazing hp for the money, but man I'm glad I grabbed mine when I did.

Yeah, Justin only did a couple batches at that price. I'm glad I got one of them as well, best deal I've ever gotten in this hobby.

Dec 14, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #84 of 352

Power output is still only one piece of the puzzle. The Magni would put out more power than that, but I don't think it would sound too good with the HE-4 (didn't ever get to try the combo before I sold my Magni though, so I can't say for sure). If you buy the HE-4, just be ready to have to spend at least $169 more (Emotiva mini) if you aren't happy with their sound. My Maverick D1, for example, put out a similar wattage as your amp, which got the HE-4 loud enough, but it did not sound good.

Eh I have been thinking about getting a new amp anyway. The Project Ember looks pretty cool.

Dec 14, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #86 of 352
Well I think I know what I am going to get myself for Christmas. Thanks for the help guys. I will report how my Audinst performs with them since it could prove to be a good amp pairing with it on the cheap.

Dec 14, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #87 of 352
Also I don't think the slightly elevated treble will bother me since I originally owned Ultrasones and I could handle their weird unnatural treble OK I just didn't like how hollow they sounded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back