HE 300/DT 990
Oct 7, 2012 at 4:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Saiphen

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone. First time posting here. 

I'm looking to buy a new set. My first REAL audiophile setup. Right now I own a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M40fs and a pair of Grado SR60's. I love both of them, although obviously the Grado's more, but the more I listen to them the more I dislike how bright they are. They're also a little uncomfortable. So I'm looking to buy a new pair that is both comfortable and a little bit nicer to sounds in the middle/lower end of the spectrum. I'd kind of like to cut off my spending at $300,since I'll probably be buying an amp/dac/sound card along with the headphones. The two I've been looking at lately are the HE 300's from hifiman and the Beyer DT 990 320 ohm's. From what I can tell they would be good choices given what I'm looking for. Are there any other models in that range that I should consider? Also, I'm aware that both of those need to be amped so I also have a few questions about amping. Mostly what things should I be considering when buying an amp for either of those? I play most of my music from my PC so should I get a sound card too? Or will an amp/DAC setup do fine enough? If there's anything I can do to be more specific please let me know. My final question, for you guys who have been in this hobby for a while, is how did you get your start learning about this stuff? Thanks a bunch. 

Oct 7, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
Hey everyone. First time posting here. 

I'm looking to buy a new set. My first REAL audiophile setup. Right now I own a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M40fs and a pair of Grado SR60's. I love both of them, although obviously the Grado's more, but the more I listen to them the more I dislike how bright they are. They're also a little uncomfortable. So I'm looking to buy a new pair that is both comfortable and a little bit nicer to sounds in the middle/lower end of the spectrum. I'd kind of like to cut off my spending at $300,since I'll probably be buying an amp/dac/sound card along with the headphones. The two I've been looking at lately are the HE 300's from hifiman and the Beyer DT 990 320 ohm's. From what I can tell they would be good choices given what I'm looking for. Are there any other models in that range that I should consider? Also, I'm aware that both of those need to be amped so I also have a few questions about amping. Mostly what things should I be considering when buying an amp for either of those? I play most of my music from my PC so should I get a sound card too? Or will an amp/DAC setup do fine enough? If there's anything I can do to be more specific please let me know. My final question, for you guys who have been in this hobby for a while, is how did you get your start learning about this stuff? Thanks a bunch. 

well, im by no means an authority on anything, but iv been lurking here for long enough to try and extend some help.
300$ can get you a very long way. i havnt heard any headphones to speak of (although i will by friday!) but from lurking around here i can tell you that the general consensus about the HE 400 is very very positive. the HE 300 are less popular but many consider them under rated and deserving of more credit. the beyer 990s are rather on the bright side (again, this is just based on lurking), if its bass your looking for then maybe you should consider closed cans.

as far as amps and dacs go, i think a portable amp should do for those (and i want to point out once more that all of what im saying is just things i picked up on this forum and some other sites, this isnt experience and definitely not fact). a fiio e9/10/11 maybe? prehaps a cMoy BB?

i dont think a dac is necessary, in my opinion this is for the more experienced ears, but the fiio e17 is a portable amp+dac. it costs something like 120$ if i remember correctly.

the reason i keep pointing out that im not an authority on this is just because i dont want to be crucified by the people who are actually knowledgable in this business. the reason i responded is because you seemed to have done some homework, my advice is to just go and do some more, im sure if you use the search function youll be able to find comparisons, reviews and everything you need.

and yes, is you want a recommendation you have to specify what genre of music you listen to, if the headphones your looking for are meant for indoor use or outdoor, what "type" of sound do you want (bassy, neutral, trebley etc.), are you gonna use these for gaming or not....

check out the recommendation thread and read a few recommendations given there. i find most of them repeat themselves and you can get a pretty good idea of what headphones are more popular.

Oct 7, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the response.
To answer your questions, I listen to a wide variety of music. So I don't really want a pair that specializes in sounding great for a certain genre at the expense of a different one. The cans will also be for home use only, I won't be taking them outside of my room. Oh and also, no gaming. I guess it's time to do more research!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back