HDJ 2000 or wait?
Oct 13, 2012 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

trance4life

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I am interested in buying the HDJ 2000s with a Fiio e11 amp, but I have a feeling that Pioneer will soon be releasing a newer and better headphone since this one is almost 4 years old. Should I wait on news from Pioneer on a new release or just buy these?

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #2 of 9
The HDJ-2000 headphones have been around for some time, and Pioneer have already released a couple newer models, but they are lower tier headphones, with people reporting them to be quite apart (worse) from the HDJ-2000.

What are your listening habits? Music, games, movies? If music, which genres do you primarily listen to? Also, how far can you stretch your budget?

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:
The HDJ-2000 headphones have been around for some time, and Pioneer have already released a couple newer models, but they are lower tier headphones, with people reporting them to be quite apart (worse) from the HDJ-2000.

What are your listening habits? Music, games, movies? If music, which genres do you primarily listen to? Also, how far can you stretch your budget?

Yes, all the other models are worse than the 2000 (HDJ 1500, HDJ 1000).

I'd prefer a DJ headphone since I want to get into mixing and audio production within the next few months. I mostly listen to EDM genres (trance, house) and I can go anywhere in the $200-300 range.

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #4 of 9
Well, you could consider the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro. Also, keep in mind that higher price doesn't always translate into higher performance, and I'm saying this due to going prices for the DJ1 Pro.

The thing is that while DJ headphones work nicely for mixing, they're not so good for audio production unless the headphones are more balanced and with less bass emphasis. For instance, the Ultrasone DJ1 would be good for mixing but not so good for audio production, while the DJ1 Pro would be good for both but not as good as the DJ1 for mixing.

In any case, you won't go wrong with either the DJ1/DJ1 Pro/HDJ-2000, but you're likely to benefit from the DJ1 Pro.

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
Well, you could consider the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro. Also, keep in mind that higher price doesn't always translate into higher performance, and I'm saying this due to going prices for the DJ1 Pro.

The thing is that while DJ headphones work nicely for mixing, they're not so good for audio production unless the headphones are more balanced and with less bass emphasis. For instance, the Ultrasone DJ1 would be good for mixing but not so good for audio production, while the DJ1 Pro would be good for both but not as good as the DJ1 for mixing.

In any case, you won't go wrong with either the DJ1/DJ1 Pro/HDJ-2000, but you're likely to benefit from the DJ1 Pro.

I was considering the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro and Sennheiser HD 25-1 II, but I have heard so many good things about Pioneer that I was leaning towards the 2000s.

The DJ1 Pros are about 100 dollars less than the HDJ 2000s so I might be able to get both the DJ1 and the DJ1 Pros. Between the DJ1 Pros and HDJ 2000s, which would be the better choice?

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
I was considering the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro and Sennheiser HD 25-1 II, but I have heard so many good things about Pioneer that I was leaning towards the 2000s.

The DJ1 Pros are about 100 dollars less than the HDJ 2000s so I might be able to get both the DJ1 and the DJ1 Pros. Between the DJ1 Pros and HDJ 2000s, which would be the better choice?

In the end, you might be better served with the HDJ-2000, mainly due to being more balanced than both DJ1 and DJ1 Pro, balance being something you simply need for production. But again, that's only when comparing the headphones discussed.

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
Why can't they just make an announcement yet? The price has been going down now almost every week yet Pioneer is still making me stand on the edge of my toes.

Announcement of what? AFAIK, there is no HDJ-2000 replacement planned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back