HDCD list
Apr 18, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #466 of 597
The SonyStyle USA Web site's specifications for the STR-DG720 do not make any mention of HDCD decoding. It sounds to me like the A/V receiver uses an upsampling DAC, so when you play regular Redbook audio CDs, the information displayed on the receiver might be the same as when you play back an HDCD.

Apr 18, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #467 of 597
I picked up the new Audio Fidelity reissue of The Band's self titled album and it is HDCD. It was remastered from the original tapes by Steve Hoffmann. Sounds very good - it would be hard to find a vinyl copy sounding this good. There are several other titles all released at the same time remastered by Hoffmann.

caudfi032.jpg

Apr 18, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #468 of 597
Speaking of which, I noticed on this new release that the symbol for HDCD changed and it is now "Microsoft HDCD" - I have never seen this before...

I wonder if this is a new labeling requirement from Microsoft, or if it is a licensing option?

May 12, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #469 of 597
Does someone still updating the list on the first post of this thread?

This is a cd I have for a while.

Classical
Bach Work for Violin Solo / Lara St. John
It has the HDCD logo on the back.
Label: Well Tempered Production (WTP 5180)

Works:
Partita No.2 in D Minor
Sonata No.3 in C Major

May 20, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #470 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimJo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of which, I noticed on this new release that the symbol for HDCD changed and it is now "Microsoft HDCD" - I have never seen this before...

I wonder if this is a new labeling requirement from Microsoft, or if it is a licensing option?

According to the Wikipedia article on HDCD, Microsoft has owned the technology since 2000. I haven't seen the Microsoft tag yet, myself. I suppose, though, they may label it any way they wish.

May 20, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #471 of 597
I have a copy of Tin Hat Trio's Helium which is clearly marked HDCD. When I load it into my HDCD capable Rotel RCD-1072, the player recognizes it only as a standard CD and plays it as such. Anybody else see this issue with this or any other HDCD marked disc?

May 20, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #472 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmarano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a copy of Tin Hat Trio's Helium which is clearly marked HDCD. When I load it into my HDCD capable Rotel RCD-1072, the player recognizes it only as a standard CD and plays it as such. Anybody else see this issue with this or any other HDCD marked disc?

I bought a Chinese printing of "Dire Strait - Love Over Gold" from eBay, that had the HDCD logo on it. And it is not an HDCD.

May 23, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #473 of 597
I started re-ripping my CDs yesterday, and besides the HDCDs I knew already knew about, I also confirmed the following two titles:

1. Bruce Springsteen - Tracks (Box Set)

This is the 4-CD set, as opposed to the 18 Tracks release mentioned in the OP. The package as well as all 4 CDs are clearly labeled.

2. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Damn the Torpedoes

My disc is the 2001 E.U. reissue on MCA. The logo appears on the back cover, but not on the disc.

May 27, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #474 of 597
OK, three more to add to the list...

Phish - Farmhouse (EAN 075596252126)

Not marked on packaging or disc, but confirmed with dBpoweramp Reference.

Grateful Dead - Fallout from the Phil Zone (original 90's release)

Marked on discs and confirmed with dBpoweramp Reference. I've never noticed the HDCD logo on the discs in the approximately 11 years that I've owned them. No need to buy the Rhino remaster in this case
wink.gif

Pearl Jam - Last Kiss (EP)

Not marked on packaging or disc, but confirmed with dBpoweramp Reference.

Jul 21, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #476 of 597
Roxy Music - Avalon SACD's redbook layer says HDCD on the back but its not HDCD, I dont get it. Why the hell would they put the logo on there when its not a HDCD.

Dredg - El Cielo, the regular cd is also HDCD, so its not just limited to SACD release

Tool - Lateralus, I've seen discs marked HDCD, so I am not sure if there are only certain versions of this that are actually HDCD

Opeth - Ghost Reveries, Special Edition is also HDCD

Aug 4, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #478 of 597
Glad I found this thread - it will cost me a fortune...

Aug 16, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #479 of 597
My copy of Lonestar's "I'm Already There" album has the HDCD logo on the disc and back cover, and even the Pacific Microsonics trademark/patent disclaimer, but it is not HDCD encoded. Windows Media Player 9 doesn't show the HDCD logo while playing it, and Christoper Key's HDCD.EXE doesn't detect HDCD encoding on any of the tracks.

Also, Dixie Chicks - Wide Open Spaces was encoded with -4.0 dB Peak Extension, but upon decoding HDCD, no peak extension is evident.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back