HDCD list
Oct 12, 2008 at 11:29 AM Post #440 of 597
I noticed that "Tool - Lateralus" is in the list. Although all tracks have the HDCD code, only the 1st song (The Grudge) has gain enabled (but no peak extend!). None of the other tracks on this album have any feature of HDCD enabled. No wonder it is not labelled HDCD ...

Oct 12, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #441 of 597
I didn't see mention of this anywhere (I haven't ready every single page yet myself, but did use the search function). The 'Master and Commander' soundtrack I have is HDCD, and it has some remarkably beautiful stuff in there.

Oct 31, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #443 of 597
Hi, I just came across this and I'd like to contribute. I didn't see these on the list.

Rock/Pop/Punk/Etc:

NOFX - So Long and Thanks for all the Shoes
NOFX - Bottles to the Ground
Ten Foot Pole - Unleashed
Ten Foot Pole - Insider
Pulley - Esteem Driven Engine
Pulley - Pulley
Nerf Herder - Nerf Herder (My Records version)

Dec 3, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #444 of 597
King Sunny Ade, odu
Label: Atlantic/Mesa
HDCD Marked: Yes (on rear of sleeve and jewel case label)
Year released: 1998
Genre: World (aka Juju and Afro-Pop)

Willie Nelson, 16 Biggest Hits
Johnny Cash, 16 Biggest Hits
Label: Both Sony
HDCD Marked: Yes, rear of case label
Genre: D'oh!

Dec 3, 2008 at 9:01 AM Post #445 of 597
dbPoweramp's CDGrabber (found here: dBpoweramp: CD Ripper & Audio Converter. Secure ripping to mp3, FLAC, m4a, Apple Lossless & WMA has a DSP function (helpfully entitled "HDCD") which allows you to rip HDCD tracks to 20-bit, 2116kbps bitrate Wave files.. I've also been able to rip 20-bit lossless WMA tracks. (the bad news here being that Apple's made sure that iPod's can't read its conqueror's format.)

==You MUST have dbPoweramp's "Reference" package (natch, the most expensive, but not terribly so considering the quality one gets) in order to do this with your HDCDs.==

The one draw back is that the size of the files is larger than the standard 16-bit wav file. A 700MB 16-bit CD is about 1GB after being ripped to 20-bit.

Of course, one gets the extra quality in compensation.

Note: the track info will report that it is a 24-bit track, however, it's still a 20-bit track as if one were running it through an HDCD equipped CD/DVD player.

Further good news: iPod (at least my 5th Gen Classic model) accepts these "24-bit" tracks (tho', as with all WAV files, one has to fill in almost all the song info since iTunes seems incapable of reading the encoded metadata.

Also, as long as you have a 24-bit capable soundcard you can use foobar2000 and other software players.

Only wish I had more HDCDs!

Dec 20, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #446 of 597
Just got the ZZ Top - Eliminator Collectors Edition CD/DVD. There is no mention of HDCD anywhere in the material, packaging or on the disc. But the CD does light up the HDCD light on my Arcam.

BTW, the post above about 20 bit files is very interesting. Nice post newsjunkie356!

Ho Ho Ho
Merry Christmas everyone!

Jan 5, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #448 of 597
Anthos_Hero;5240079 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
> Nine Inch Nails: The Fragile ("Into the Void" only)

It's really weird, because my copy of The Fragile shows "Where is Everybody?" to be the only track with HDCD encoding.

its both on mine, quite interesting

Jan 5, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #449 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by evdberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed that "Tool - Lateralus" is in the list. Although all tracks have the HDCD code, only the 1st song (The Grudge) has gain enabled (but no peak extend!). None of the other tracks on this album have any feature of HDCD enabled. No wonder it is not labelled HDCD ...

just to split hairs, the copy that i had was labeled on the back, and yes, i dont believe that Tool really used HDCD as well as they could have

Users who are viewing this thread

Back